Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Where to play in T-town besides Shunga?

Capital City News
DanO

Where to play in T-town besides Shunga?

Post by DanO »

I'm going up to Topeka this weekend to visit family and haven't played there in ages. Besides Shunga are there any good places to play? Where are they located?

Thanks,
DanO
Leo D.

Post by Leo D. »

18 Holes at Lake Shawnee, coming from the west, go down 29th street, hitch a right at Croco, (big water tower on your right hand side), go approximately a mile south, you will see the course on your right hand side once you pass the swimming area.

9 Holes at Rice park, from the lake shawnee course, go back north on Croco past 29th street, keep going north cross over the interstate, go to 6th street and hang a left. Go approximately 1 mile west on 6th, once you pass Caseys and the stoplight, take your first right turn, 1 block north and take a right at the grade school.
DanO

cool.

Post by DanO »

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I assume they are both worth playing?
Leo D.

Post by Leo D. »

I can only lead the horse to water, not make him drink :lol:
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Leo D. wrote:I can only lead the horse to water, not make him drink :lol:
Lmao!
DanO

Post by DanO »

I hit the Shawnee park yesterday... wow. It's awesome. I'd LOVE to have such an open course with no water in Wicihta. The name of the game in Wichita is "water hazard".

It worked out great 'cause my brothers don't play that often, and it's very beginner-friendly.

Also, on a side note, Shunga is worse than I remembered. :(
McCabe
Regional Rep

Re: ...

Post by McCabe »

DanO wrote:I hit the Shawnee park yesterday... wow. It's awesome. I'd LOVE to have such an open course with no water
There is NO Water at Lake Shawnee?
discgolfer_1999

Post by discgolfer_1999 »

Maybe some casual water
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

dont you play over the cove on 18?
Leo D.

Post by Leo D. »

yes 18 plays over the cove, and I have seen more discs go in on 14 than any hole at Herman Hill.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Leo D. wrote:yes 18 plays over the cove, and I have seen more discs go in on 14 than any hole at Herman Hill.
Me too.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Yeah, sure, 18's over the water. True.

14, however, is much easier to gauge, imho, than most of the HH or OP water. There's no long stretches where you're throwing super-long drives near water, that I can recall.

Anyhow, the good news is no discs lost this weekend. :)
McCabe
Regional Rep

Re: ...

Post by McCabe »

DanO wrote:Anyhow, the good news is no discs lost this weekend. :)
Thats always good news.
the_lung

Re: Where to play in T-town?

Post by the_lung »

So it looks like I am headed out to Wichita, Kansas again for a business trip.

In the past I have flown directly into Wichita but lately I have been flying into Kansas City and driving down. It's a cheaper flight with no layovers, and most importantly, it allows me to play new disc golf courses!!! 8)

I have played nearly all the courses in the Wichita and Kansas City areas. I have played all the Emporia courses. (and loved them!) I have played Thomas Park in Salina, and thought it was a really great woods course and unlike any other course in Kansas.

I have not played any courses in Manhattan / Topeka / Lawrence. Are there any world class courses? It sounds like Centennial Park is decent, although it also sounds like it is mostly pitch-n-putt and very difficult to navigate if you don't know where you are going. With a 787 ft. pro par 4 hole and some water hazards, Tuttle Creek State Park sounds like it would be a little more up my alley.

Which do you think is the must-play course in Lawrence / Topeka / Manhattan area?
Got 6?
Schoen-hopper

Re: Where to play in T-town besides Shunga?

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Centennial is not bad. Lots of elevation and I wouldn't call it a pitch & putt. Some really cool holes actually. Plays a lot more fun when the pins are set long. I'd recommend it. Riverfront is supposed to be okay when not in Skeeter season.
Some fans of Clinton Lake, but I've never played it.

Tuttle creek is a good one too. Flat, longish & mostly open course. The trees they have on the course do make it interesting. Water in play on 1 hole.
Course at Ft. Riley is supposed to be long & moderately hilly, mostly open, but nice.

Crestview is somewhat short & mostly open. Lake Shawnee is fairly long and really open. Most like the temp North course better.

Sounds like the course at Lake Perry is going to be one of the best around when it gets finished.
Running Horse (private course) near Baldwin City looks awesome.
Pomona Lake was a fun course, but it might seem kind of barren in the winter time.

Play Newton if you haven't yet.