Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Question about Moving Up...

Out of date topics will be moved here.
jlew

Question about Moving Up...

Post by jlew »

Okay, here is my question. In your opinions, when is it time to move from one level of play to the next? Do you move up when you start winning and placing in tournaments or do you wait until you dominate the field?

My personal opinion is that when I begin winning and placing in a field on a regular basis and scoring where I would be in the top 15 in the next field up, then it will be time for me to move to aid in my games development. This is a personal choice. I am just really curious what others think is the proper time.
Jason

"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him. - Sun Tzu"
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I say look at your player rating. 925-975 is advanced for real big events, but at smaller events you sometimes see 940+ players playing open. Same with other divisional breaks.
Ring

Post by Ring »

The faster you move up, the better you get. Playing with people who are better than you, makes you a better player faster. Basically you just have to take your beatdowns for awhile, then you start handing them out :wink: Just my opinion though :P

I guarantee if you play Advanced all year, halfway through the season you will be 10 times better then when you started.. most people usually play to the level of comp that they throw with..

Im just an AM though :? I woulden't take my word for it :P
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
TanK

Post by TanK »

I say if you are questioning when is a good time to move up, MOVE UP!

You WILL become a better golfer, I garauntee it.
Do Work, Son!
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

You can move up in the KDGA for a few tournaments and move back.There is alot of leeway.
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
jlew

Post by jlew »

See I considered doing that. Play Advanced in KDGA events and Intermediate in PDGA to preserve my rating ;) In the case of an event such as Wyco, just default to PDGA....

I will see how I do Saturday if I break top 5 intermediate I am going to move up....
Jason

"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him. - Sun Tzu"
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Good Luck 8)
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
Ring

Post by Ring »

Friz-Rocker wrote:Good Luck 8)
Maybe ya shoulden't base how ya do at Colwich on moving up or not :? Anything could happen at that course :shock: Good luck anyway :wink:
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I say do what you want! If you don't move up and start winning, you have to deal with the crap. If you do move up too soon, it messes with you. Don't feel bad about playing your rating at PDGA events!

Tank's got the right idea! If you are thinking about it, then you are ready! :D
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

It is kind of funny how quick people are to call someone a bagger though. I played the first two holes at wyco pretty well and people in my group started calling me a bagger (unfortunately it didn't take long to make it obvious that I wasn't bagging). Then, at the end of the day the guy that won our division was called a bagger as he went to pick up his first place prize. He only won by four strokes so it didn't make much sense to me. I agree with dm4, do what feels right for you.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

MOthrows wrote:It is kind of funny how quick people are to call someone a bagger though. I played the first two holes at wyco pretty well and people in my group started calling me a bagger (unfortunately it didn't take long to make it obvious that I wasn't bagging). Then, at the end of the day the guy that won our division was called a bagger as he went to pick up his first place prize. He only won by four strokes so it didn't make much sense to me. I agree with dm4, do what feels right for you.

Gotta remember that sometimes it's fun to call someone a sandbagger whether they are or not. It's really a compliment.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Schoen-hopper wrote:
MOthrows wrote:It is kind of funny how quick people are to call someone a bagger though. I played the first two holes at wyco pretty well and people in my group started calling me a bagger (unfortunately it didn't take long to make it obvious that I wasn't bagging). Then, at the end of the day the guy that won our division was called a bagger as he went to pick up his first place prize. He only won by four strokes so it didn't make much sense to me. I agree with dm4, do what feels right for you.

Gotta remember that sometimes it's fun to call someone a sandbagger whether they are or not. It's really a compliment.
Kinda like "negative publicity"
phall

Post by phall »

I was one of those at Wyco who was calling MOthrows a bagger, but I seriously meant it as a compliment. He was playing way better then the last tournament we played together. The only people who I consider "real" sandbaggers are the ones who win a division and their score is so good that they would have won the next division up.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

We'll see what I'll be calling you in Ransom Pat, when all of those metal hits that you had at wyco land in the basket. Maybe I'll be kicking my bag this time. :D
phall

Post by phall »

I'm looking forward to being calling a bagger. Never have had that honor yet. Btw, that was the first time that I ever kicked my bag...it was an interesting experience, I recommend it to anyone who hits metal as much as I did in Wyco.