Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

2 meter rule

Out of date topics will be moved here.

Do you feel that it was a good idea to remove the penalty for throws landing above 2 meters?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 26

Schoen-hopper

2 meter rule

Post by Schoen-hopper »

As you guys have probably already heard, the 2 meter rule has been tossed. Well not exactly... starting in 2005 it will not be enforced unless a tournament director chooses to do so. The TD will have the option to enforce the rule however they wish to do so (certain trees, certain holes, etc.), but if no clarification is made, the 2 meter rule, by default, will not be in effect. I just wanted to hear what the KDGA forum posters' opinions were on this subject.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I checked with the PDGA forum on this subject. They have a really long thread under the "Rules and Etiquette" section. I was more interested in hearing what Kansas golfer think about it before they consider how the rest of the world sees it, but I did think that you all may find a few of the views expressed interesting.
Notorious ROG

Post by Notorious ROG »

Trees are 80% air so getting caught in one is just bad luck, so why penalize me, err I mean the DG'er. I will be able to love the trees downunder & the evergreens in Emporia with this change....... it is in nature's best interest?
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

This really gives the disc golfer the go ahead for those holes with lots of trees by the basket. You can gun for it and let the trees stop you with a lot less risk. Still, those evergreens like ROG mentioned at E-town are going to be a bear. Remember that they are not casual obstacles, and no relief is given. You have to mark your lie directly under your disc above the playing surface and play from there! Still a big problem.

Overall, I think the change is good. Lots of times when I have been stuck in a tree, it was just bad luck! I can recall being just above 2 meters, after making what I thought was an "ok" shot, and the branches holding the disc were no bigger around than my little finger. Being able to play with no penalty would help in that situation. I mean, I already made the "fairly good" shot, so why should I have to take a stroke for such an insignificant circumstance?

Also, for those shots where you try to go over trees, and end up in the jungle, you should not have to take a penalty also. You are already in a bad place. I just think the game is more fair to everyone without the penalty.

Don't forget, the TD can still add the rule if he thinks that people are trying to use the trees as a backstop on certain holes, or for any other reason.

I like it, but that's just me...
smitty

Post by smitty »

I don't think that concrete or H20 should be OB either! If I can walk into the water, get my disc and throw why would I need to be called OB?

Why do we put the baskets behind trees?

If you get stuck you should take a penalty.

Smitty
discgolfer_1999

Post by discgolfer_1999 »

I agree smitty. trees are a part of the course and trees make the course more difficult. I think the penalty is well deserved if you are stuck in a tree. This rules makes the game more challenging.

Scott
str8

Post by str8 »

Wow,

What's this? A discussion that's not defacing someone's credibillity? WTF? I'll abstain from conveying what I truly feel about some of the posts I've read recently, but Brian, right on!

I'm with Scott and Smitty on this one. The rule should stay!

Str8
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

If your disc is stuck in a tree chances are that you won't have a good chance to make a good next shot so now you face a double penalty one for 2 meters and one for a bad stance. If the two meter rule allowed a person to pull the lie back so a person has a good stance I would feel different about the rule. Dump the 2 meter rule!!!!!!!!!
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

I agree with Mace on this one.....most likely if you hit a tree, it was a bad shot. And making some trees OB is the dumbist F ing thing I have ever heard!!! OK The 3rd tree on the left of hole 5 is OB but the 2nd one is not, and on hole 6, 3 trees ore OB.........ALL OR NONE!!! The stoners are going to have trouble with this one......trust me!
Anita

2 M

Post by Anita »

I'm glad the 2 M rule is gone. I used to be on the other side on this issue. However, Dr. Rick said pretty much what Mace said, and that changed my mind.

If you are up a tree, you probably didn't go very far. Odds are you are in some type of evergreen tree which are dense all the way to the ground. You are now faced with a double penalty of 2 M up AND shooting from inside a pine tree. Add insult to injury, a branch is probably poking you in an uncomfortable spot!

It has turned out to be a double penalty with too much luck involved for my taste. I say good bye 2 M rule!

aj
Master Dyck

Post by Master Dyck »

Smitty is right.......if you eliminate one OB rule then why not eliminate them all.....Just stay away from the darn tree if you don't want to take the penalty stroke....if you threw it in there, you deserve to take the stroke....I know I do.....it's the same for everyone anyway....besides, I think it helps people to think more about their shot and not do something stupid....take away the rule and everyone can throw at will with no regard to skill or accuracy....just my thoughts.....
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

Come on Rodney, How many times have you said good shot, good shot, go, go, go, oh I did not see that limb? Now that you hit that limb you're 200 feet out instead of being parked. Right? Also you are stuck in the tree 200 out with the tree in your way. Almost always you will get at least a circle 4 if not a 5 instead of the 2 if you did not hit the tree. That is a two stroke difference. With the 2 meter rule gone it is a 3 and you are still penalized for the bad shot.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I also think there is still a risk/reward without the 2m rule. Trees have a way of not working the way you have planned. I have seen people (myself included) throw at trees to try and use them as a backstop, only to have the disc go right through and in deep! You still have to analyze the situation and see if it is worth the risk.
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

2M rule is part of the game. Why would you take it out?

If you throw in the water chances are you won't have a good chance to make a good next shot so now you face a double penalty. One for the water and one for the bad stance. (Did that sound familiar?) Not to mention you just lost a $15 disc. (slightly more if you bought it from Mace) You should get sympathy strokes taken off. Not only are you looking at extra strokes but now your poor...er.

Remember in the PGA Championship when Ernie Els hit his ball out of the tree and saved par. It has nothing to do with this but it was a great save.

Speaking of ball golf, if your ball is in the water but part of it is sticking above the water line you can still play it without a penalty stroke. This seems reasonable for disc golf too?

Shouldn't this rule of been called the 6.5ft rule all along? This game developed in the US.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm stuck 10M in the top of a tree I'm retrieving my disc and cheerfully throwing again penalty free.
Notorious ROG

Post by Notorious ROG »

Why not let the player throw from the water or from the tree ball golfers get the choice...

and OB should be stroke & distance, not play it where it crossed the ob line... that is what ball golf requires... You shank one OB & you get to hit again from the spot you just hit from..... now that's a penalty.....