Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

This should raise some good debate.

Out of date topics will be moved here.

Is/Was Billy Moody a Bagger at the Am Worlds?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 14

smitty

This should raise some good debate.

Post by smitty »

Billy Moody played and placed 22nd at the 06 Am Worlds in Tulsa. Here are is his player profile.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerst ... &year=2006

1) He has a 939 rating
2) He played 5 events in 05 as an Open player and had zero cashes
3) He placed 2nd at Green Co. Doubles with Kevin McCoy in 04
4) He played 7 Open events in 03 with Zero cashes. He did win GB Doubles with McCoy
5) He won GC Doubles in 02 with Kevin again. He also placed 8th winning $25.00 at the Riverside glide.
6) 01 was the first year that he played Open as a PDGA member with Zero cashes.
7) He has played USDGC (1), Pro Worlds (1), National/World Pro Doubles(4)
8) He has played 36 PDGA events as a pro and cashed a total of $672.00
9) His only non-doubles cash was $25.00
10) The PDGA granted him renewed AM status
TanK

Post by TanK »

Once you have taken cash, you can't go back.

The only way I feel different is if you dont play a single PDGA tourney in a season, you can apply for AM status the following year. Must pay your PDGA dues the "OFF" year also...
Do Work, Son!
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Billy DID apply for AM status.
smitty

Post by smitty »

TanK wrote:The only way I feel different is if you dont play a single PDGA tourney in a season, you can apply for AM status the following year. Must pay your PDGA dues the "OFF" year also...

Tank the dude cashed on his own 1 time since 01. $25.00, the rest of the time he was McCoys partner in an event that Kevin may have cashed in without him as a partner.

I think that the reapply rule was made for people just like this. He probably placed high in several Am events, all his buddies made him move up. He didn't have the game, but he tried for several years.

Not a Bagger! :)

The dude has about the same rating, number of events, and amount of times cashed as Knoflicek. If AM worlds was going to be in Lincoln next year, and he applied for Am status. I think that he should be able to get it back.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

The rules are the rules and written the way they are to be fair. He didn't do anything against the rules, so I don't see a problem. As pointed out, at least he had the cohones to play open. And he is a very cool dude, by the way.
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

the way the ratings are based, the guy is an amateur playing open. they may "only be ratings," but over time those ratings pan out to the actual skill level of the golfer. so on average this guy is giving up 7 strokes PER ROUND to McCoy and Hatfield and the other top local pros. so 7 strokes/round, times four for an average tourney, and he should end up 28 strokes out of a "rough guess" of first place in any event he attends. easy to see why he has only cashed once in 5 years. at what event can someone cash, that many strokes behind? worlds or USDGC? i doubt that even there the gap is that big. the guy is simply an amateur.

my beef with moving up is along the same lines. my skills as an amateur put me in the top 5% (if you will be generous!). translate my rating to the pro side and i would drop to closer to the bottom 5%. i get to compete against Eric every day. i can see clearly what the difference between a solid pro golfer and a solid am golfer is. i know what areas of my game are weak and need more focus. they are and will continue to get that focus so that i can improve and hope to compete someday. i have played pro at several events and had a great time. i dont mind donating to our local studs, but i would venture a guess that one of the reasons the pro fields are not growing is because ams move up too soon expecting to compete and then realizing how many years of work and practice the top pros have put in to get where they are. where are the top KS ams of the past 10 years? I am sure it was the same way for Kevin, Eric, and Smitty, getting whooped by the old pros, but they didn't get to be the top pros in KS because they decided they were pros. they put in the work to make their game progress. i hope in a couple of years we have several more local pros who are ready to take on the big boys! but i also hope that those same players who could be great players dont burn out on this sport we all love because they can't compete right now.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Nate you would not get whooped at most of the local events. I think that you would cash at many of them.

Coda and McCoy would beat Billy by 28 strokes in 1 round at USDGC.

I think that You, Robert, Scooba, Ruder, Stretch, Trenton, and many others could cash at any given KDGA event.

As for what happen to all the Pros that use to play? That is a good question. When I first started playing the GOOD players were Eric, Kevin,Chad, Ron, Jazzy, Mojo, and a few others. Several of these people are still the dude to beat at a tourney. As for the top Ams, they just kind of fall off the map. I don't know that it is burnout, probably more of a life changes type of thing.
TanK

Post by TanK »

If he would've won Worlds, there would be lots more importance on this issue.

22nd place? He's were he should be right now.

I'm kinda the typical Prick pro sometimes, I think DG revolves around Open
Do Work, Son!
Anita

Post by Anita »

I think the whole "once you take cash you can never go back" notion is silly. People's lives change, skill-wise, money-wise, time-wise. If you couldn't go back to a less expensive less demanding skills division they would just quit. That's wrong.
smitty

Post by smitty »

smitty wrote:McCoy would beat Billy by 28 strokes in 1 round at USDGC.
Round 1 USDGC in 02
Climo and McCoy 60 Billy Moody 83 (23 strokes)
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

All I can Say is......KDGA $cOoBa is pro. PDGA $cOoBa is AM

I love playing pro in the KDGA, fun times, Right Mace Face. :lol:
O-man

Post by O-man »

U tell'em Scooba,,, U'r the PIMP
superq

Post by superq »

$c0oBa wrote:All I can Say is......KDGA $cOoBa is pro. PDGA $cOoBa is AM

I love playing pro in the KDGA, fun times, Right Mace Face. :lol:
Keep playin like you did in Mac and it will be all Pro all the time 8)
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Doo Dah PDGA Scooba Pro

Beloit KDGA Scooba Am

???
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I think Scooba plays better as a pro.