Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Snow Boots

Out of date topics will be moved here.
Schoen-hopper

Snow Boots

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I don't have any footwear that is actually waterproof. I might have played in the crazy woodbowl if i did. Anyone got the inside on something that can hold up against rain and snow? Comfortable would be a bonus. I know there are quite a few golfers playing out in the snow. What is everyone using?
DiscDiva

Post by DiscDiva »

All i do is wear some boots and put plastic sacks in them, it sounds silly but it works really well.
Struggle as hard as you can for whatever you believe in.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

Go some to a place that sells work boots. You don't need the steel toes but they should have plenty other one with out. I went to Vanderbilt's
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I wear my hunting boots. Rocky Corn Stalkers!
stauf

Post by stauf »

mike, i have been wearing merrell boots for years and years and i have never had cold or wet feet since. they are a little pricey but well worth the money, plus they are super durable and will last years. merrell makes all kinds of performance footwear. i usually buy mine on the internet. i swear by them!
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

_dm4 wrote:I wear my hunting boots.
Now Don,you don`t need to be goin`out and huntin`stuff.Theres plenty of food at the supermarket.
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

That's true Friz, maybe that's why I only went huntin a couple days around Christmas time. Sure do miss the deer jerky and Pheasant Fajitas! But, some things in life are more important!
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

I just go to Texas.
Eaglehigh99

Post by Eaglehigh99 »

My answer is Grotex lined hiking boots. They keep your feet dry in most situations, give you good traction on any playing surface but ice, and are very durable.

Another option is to get "seal skins" (a waterproof sock).
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Eaglehigh99 wrote:My answer is Grotex lined hiking boots.
Was that Grotesque or Gortex? J/K. I will search into these suggestions. Thanks for the help!
doc

Post by doc »

As stated above, if you have a Vanderbilts down there, that's where I'd go...as that's where I go here in Lawrence. Great selection with occasional sales that would be hard to beat anywhere, I imagine. Merrells, Ecco, Hi-Tec, Reebok, all kinds of work/hunting/boots, etc... Try Vanderbilts.com. Goretex is pretty nice, though for me, they can get kinda warm with the wrong socks when it's warm outside.
I'm currently sold on Ecco Virpirs - not too much traction, and they give a great feel when the terrrain gets rough(er).
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

You could just go to Wal-Mart and then water proof them yourself... They will last several years, if you only play one or two ice bowls a season! :lol:
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

McCabe wrote:I just go to Texas.
This doesn't always work either...cuz it's snowing in Dallas right now!!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I've tried the Scotch Gaurd sprays. They don't really work.

You saying I should paint my boots with some kind of schlacker?
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

There are a few products that do work and you can get them at sporting goods stores or shoe stores. Mink oil works pretty well. At least I think that's what it's called. It's like a paste and you rub it on to the leather. It might be the cheapest one. I grew up in Colorado and actually got some boots in HS (before that, just wore tennis shoes). :shock: They were hiking boots (clutter boots), and were not water proof. Mink oil did the trick! There are some newer materials that might work better.

Scotch gaurd is for cloth or fabric, mainly (I think).