Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Any lefties out there

Out of date topics will be moved here.
storm_front

Any lefties out there

Post by storm_front »

Hello all I'm a lefty, and I'm having a hard time trying to get more distance on my drives, i go about 250-290 feet. but i feel that i have alot of power i'm wasting. does everyone feel the same or do i need to change something. I've been playing for 15 months or less, and fell i have made progress.

I dont know if being a lefty hurts me on the course or what

Thanks for any info on this thread
blizzards,buzzards,bastards
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I am not a lefty, but I don't think being a lefty really hurts you that much, unless you don't know how to throw a turnover shot (for you it would be right to left). It seems like many courses have a majority of the holes set up this way. Once you learn this shot, your scores will drop. What plastic do you throw? Sometimes it helps to know what mold, plastic and weight you are throwing.
doc

Post by doc »

You are using left~handed discs...right? :twisted:
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I think I am! :?
Notorious ROG

Post by Notorious ROG »

I am a righty but threw left handed for 4 months when I blew my shoulder out. Got where I could throw up to 300 ft left handed. I can throw up to 450 ft right handed. Distance is grip, technique & arm speed, ask everyone you see who throws good D to show you what they do. Then try it, the more things you try the more likely to find what works for you & you will be practicing more as a result & then the D will follow. ROG
storm_front

Post by storm_front »

I dont have a clue, if i use left handed discs. I do use a Z Reaper, Pro Starfire, Z Valk, C Teebird, C Viking, Z Crush, Z Flash, and a C Cobra. Which the Cobra works really nice for me. Which i have sunk 100 foot ups with it.

I just started a 4 finger grip but i'm not throwing the disc the same everytime, but when i do get a good drive, i can really see the difference.

thanks for helping me out some
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Doc was just kidding, there really are no left handed discs. He just wishes there were right handed discs . :P

Of the discs you mentioned, I would recomend the Valk and Viking for your straight to turnover shots (turnover is right to left for a lefty backhand thrower). You might try a Stratus if you like the Cobra. I would say a Stratus is a longer straighter Cobra, or even flippy. Into the wind or left to right throws, the rest of the discs could work for you. They all start to straighten up and/or flip as you break them in (hit trees).

Keep throwing the Cobra if it works for you! What do you putt with? Also, if the four finger grip (power grip) works for you, then use it. You can always experiment, but use what works.

Best way to practice is in a big open field with a friend. Throw different shots back and forth. This way you throw more, and don't spend all your time walking.

By the way, "Z" is Discraft, and "C" stands for "Champion" which is Innova. You probably have a "Champion" Valk since it is Innova. :)

Don
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

OH GOD NO! don't use that Teebird it's junk. I'll take it off your hands before you hurt someone. :P :twisted:
storm_front

Post by storm_front »

is there a chance I'm trying to put too much power into my throw.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Yep! Here is a link that may help.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml

Don
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

Storm_front if you're growing your lefty skills in Salina you're in luck! The courses are almost exclusively set up for righty's so you'll learn the turn over shot real quick. Plus you have access to learn from a great lefty player in Kevin Carter. He grew up on these righty courses and I don't know anyone who has a smoother turn over shot. He'll teach you! Come to league. Tues 6 & Sun 2 random doubles. Thurs 6 and Sat 10am singles.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

The Salina League(s) are very cool, and a lot of fun. I have only played a couple times, but it was great. Five star rating!

Don
mikey

Post by mikey »

I am lefty and use a valk, XL, Z-XS. I seem to get the most distance out of my xs.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Hey Mikey!
bigchiz

Post by bigchiz »

"Leftee" here in Lincoln throws a Comet a lot.

Instead of doing some funky back bend shoulder rotation with a cartwheel follow through, try a 150 beat up DX plastic wth hyzer release to start refining the technique.

This year my long range turnover shots have improved 10 fold. Here's the receipie that worked for me (thanks in part to TanK):
Use a light weight beat up DX plastic disc with lots of hyzer angle on the release. After getting 225 - 275 foot shots turning over (popping up to flat about 40 feet out) then gliding consistently with 75% power (refining the technique), I started adding more power and flipping the discs too much. Then I stepped up the weight and stability of the disc, to the point where now I can throw a Z Xtra 170 disc with confidence and reliability.