Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

25th Annual Frontier Open, Sept. 12 and 13

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
Nivek9

Re: 25th Annual Frontier Open, Sept. 12 and 13

Post by Nivek9 »

I had a blast... as always.

I can't wait for next year. Hays is my favorite tourney and the farthest I travel to play an event. The course is simply one of the funnest I have played. I know there are lots of people that have played a lot more courses than me but I am well over 80 courses now and I still count Frontier Park as my favorite course to play a tourney at. Is it the course?, no question about it, is it the town?, oddly enough yes, is it the people that I get to play with?, without a doubt.

I have been a little concerned that being the 25th annual and taking all the stops out to make sure it was a great event to commemorate that fact would result in the event going down hill for the next few years. After this weekend my concern has vanished. I see this tourney getting nothing but better, or at least continuing to be as much fun as it always has been. This was my 6th year in a row to play in the Frontier Open and I plan and hope to be there every year for many years to come.

As for the new holes, I echo Leo's comments about #7 through #12. I played most of those tough holes better than I expected. As a matter of fact I felt #5 was the trickiest of the new placements. It gave me and everyone else on my card quite the challenge. Only one three out of five as I recall. Of course we hadn't played it before so maybe our second attempts would have been better, I know I would have played it differently. The only critique I can think of would be on #8. The fact that its extended fairway crosses the fairway for #9 is a concern. We had people waiting for us to clear before they could putt on #10 then had people waiting for us to tee on #9 before they could finish #8. The new pin on #11 is cool with that drop off behind it. I saw Bob Decker skip past it and down to the bottom only to find himself dry and able to make the almost straight uphill putt for the three. It's the first time i ever saw anyone putt straight into the bottom of the chain assembly. Nice putt Bob, besides some of my own one of my favorite shots to see made all weekend.
Eschew Obfuscation
DUH

Post by DUH »

He doesn't look happy.
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

Actually, I was using my phone and it has a slow shutter speed. He actually did smile for the picture but the timing was off. I have seen this look on his face before though.... He was probably thinking about all the strokes he left out on the course. Aren't we all?

Here's a link to an album of other shots I took this weekend.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... d0a9b64e84
Eschew Obfuscation
smitty

Post by smitty »

Schoen-hopper wrote:Thanks Smitty. Worked 13 hours yesterday. I'll get these posted soon though.
Make sure you double check me for sure.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Leo D. wrote: Bret wanted us to post what thought about the course, i have one thing to say about that last layout, MANLY! That stretch from 7-12 was probally one of the most difficult 6 hole stretchs i can think of. I loved it!
Not an easy birdie anywhere in there. Holes 7, 9, 10 were tweener holes for me. I probably won't ever 2 them, but should 3 those holes most of the time. The 4 still feels like a bogey.

Hole 1 Pin Placement. This new pin is on a 12' island behind the island that the Alt pin is on. Once you get your shot on the Alt pin island, its basically a decision of if you want to risk running at the putt, faskmasking and going OB, or just laying up onto the island. I would think some pro's and advanced players that could throw to the normal Alt. Pin would have a chance at a 2 here, and 3 at least. I have to play this hole for a 4, but I am fine with that.

Hole 2 Pin Placement. This new pin is a across the road just behind hole 3's (alt?) tee pad. It should be a pretty straight forward if you can throw a big hyzer over the buffalo (righty). Lefty's can throw a hyzer but there are a few more obstacles. It was just out of my reach to go for the 2 so I played up the middle and took a three.

Hole 3 pin placement. This one is long and left of the other pins, the pin is just before the road where people walk up from 18's pin walking to the A-hole tee pad. This hole won't be 2'd unless someone throws in a long one, but should be 3'd most of the time.

Hole 4 pin placement. This one is left of the left pin that was just on the treeline, now about 15' deeper into the crap on a downsloping green. The trees that guard the pin make it hit and miss if you will get down to the pin, but we leave you a nice 20' "tester"

Hole 5. There is one new pin that is left of the original in the crap. I threw a terrible drive, a putter hyzer, ended up 12' from the bucket and had NO shot at the basket. I had to stretch way and throw a flick putt which just facemasked. I think this got turned into a lucky hole. Two people might throw the same shot and one hit a tree next to the bucket and fall, and another somehow make it through the crap clean and go OB in the road behind the bucket.

There is another new pin here too. To the right behind the old ALT pin between two trees 4' from the road. I airballed my 35' birdie putt and went OB and had a drop in 4. Made me a little upset but I could have layed up. Should be a good chance at a 2 for most open/advanced/int

Hole 6 new pin. Between the One by the steps and the one to the left. Nice alternate because the green is trickier than the pin to the left, but not as tricky as the one on the stairs. I will be happy with a 3 here but it is birdieable by some, just not me.

Hole 7's new pin was about 40' short and left of hole 8 and 12's alt tee pads. Throwing over the parking lot, this is another tweener hole for me. I won't ever get a 2 here (some will) but should have a three often.

Hole 8's new pin was just about 80-100 feet past the other one at the bottom of the dike. This basically just adds another throw to my score. Everyone one on my card took a 5, I facemasked my jump-putt at the four. :(

Hole 9's New pin was left of the octopus tree between two bushes. This really isn't anymore different (scoring wise) than the other pin placements, just in another place. I should 3 this hole too, but airballed my 20' par putt. Nobody on my card had a birdie chance from throwing off the dike, but more skilled players could get down there for a look at a 2.

Hole 10's was straight past the other pins up on top of the dike. The pin was about 6' from OB. I took a three both times we played to this pin, mediocre drive, upshot with a buzz right into the side of the dike, and an easy 8' uphill putt. Once again pretty scary with the OB right behind the pin, but the dike really acts as a backstop, so just bury your shot into the middle of the dike, it shouldn't skip up and over, as it's too high. If your upshot lands too high on the dike, or you airball a putt, you will probably be looking at a penalty.

Hole 11 (Stepping stones) this one is the furthest left pin yet, the left of the alt, towards the bottom of the hill it is on, but in the crap about 4' from the bank down to the OB creek. Not my favorite hole on the course. There really is no fairway, or route of choice. There are two very small gaps you can throw through down low, but can be tricky to get through clean. If you can throw a Big hyzer or tomahawk, you may get a look at the bucket but it's very hard to get a drive in the circle. Once you are putting, you have a deathputt, if you airball there is a good chance you are going OB. I made a huge 35' jump putt here but it was for a bogey, having to hack my way to the landing zone.

Hole 12. This pin is on the big left island up by the main highway. Two shot hole for sure. For as long as this hole is, it really shouldn't play as tough as it did for me. Basically just throw caddy corner across the field to the stop sign, and you should have an easy hyzer down the road, skipping into the circle. A left can throw a big hyzer over the highway coming back in, so it really isn't that unfair of a hole either. The OB bit me because I played my 2nd shot too aggresively, then threw my 4th shot up the road and missed my 34' putt for 5. I should be able to get a 4 here as long as I play smart.

Hole 13. I liked this hole. The pin was up by 14's alt tee-pad-on-top-of-the-hill. The pin was just Just about 30' short of the normal one, but it is the green that makes the hole so great. Just on the side of that downsloping hill. Easy to get in the circle from the teepad for a righty, (hyzer) but if you were on the short side of that you had a terrible death putt. If you airballed from 20' you could easily have a 35' come back putt. Facemasking could cause you a nasty roll away.

Hole 14 new pin was under the left of the bridge down by the water, just down to the right from 15's tee. Another VERY tricky green. Super sloping down hill, but this time with OB about 30' behind the bucket. The drive is straight forward, just make sure you make the right decision to lay up or run at it!

Hole 15's pin was about 1/2 way between the two old pins,maybe? I can't throw far enough to have a putt at two here, but should get a three most of the time. The trickiest part of this hole is a root that is about 20' short of the pin sticks up that will stop many upshots and give you a tester putt.

Hole 16's alt pin was interesting. It was just about 40's left of the normal pin up in the crap. Normally, I worry about my shot skipping into the crap here, but that's kind of the goal for this location. 2-able, easy three, but if you go OB you can still take a 4 or 5.

Hole 17 was past the short pin about 1/2 way to the longpin, but on the side of the hill again. Another tricky green. Veery easy to end up with a deathputt here. I was happy to take my 3 and be on my way.

Hole 18 was down to the right in the crap from the normal green. This pin didn't make the hole play much different, just a tad harder to get down for a look at a two, but 3's won't be hard to come by.

The theme for most of the new pins were tricky greens. It was either by sloping them, placing them in the shule, near OB, or sometimes all three.

I like the new pins for the most part, I just wish the tougher pins were mixed into the layouts, instead of the course getting so much more difficult each round! :)

Hope this isn't too long for some of you to read. I know if Mike posts something this long, I just skim over it........ :mrgreen:
jump_putter

Post by jump_putter »

Having never played it before,the course was fun. However there was a couple "poke and hope holes." Really looked back on the "lettered" alt. holes and realized I gave some shots away there, ALL of them were birdie holes and I think only played them -6 for the weekend. #1 was, well comical to watch me play it on the longest setting. I took a 7 on this hole and only went OB once :lol: Loved #2 to the longest setting, played this hole -2. #3 got me twice for a bogey, but wasnt really that hard of a hole, just bad play by me. #4 was fun, only birdied it once, but liked the pin in the woods. Facemasked #5 for an ace in the first round and nearly got the bird all three rounds. Maybe a little too easy for the pros but fun anyway. #6 was well designed, good hole here, tho I parred it every time. #7 was a little fishy on Sunday, with no real good place to aim your drive, I hit the lot and made a 70 footer to save bogey. #8 was a great challenge, didnt care for the fairway crossing into 9 but loved the hole other than that. 4, 3, circle 6 on that hole for me. #9 was a little goofy but not bad, all pars. #10 was a great hole, I hit the circle on this hole every round and threw great shots every time to get there. After disappointing pars on Sat on this hole I finally got the bird here on Sunday. #11 was poke and hope in my opinion all except round 1. #12 was GREAT, although I played this hole +3, I though it might have been the best hole on the course. 13 and 14 were traditional birdie holes and did like the element of the bridge in the final round even though i had to lay up because of the low ceiling. #15 was great on the first placement, but I didnt care much for the later two rounds. #16 was a good hole. Went short, long, short in the rounds and I really liked the straight shot over the creek. #17 is a little silly with the length and the mando under the bridge, didnt really think this hole needed to be so long on the last 2 rounds. #18 was not fun for me, no real place to aim your drive from the bottom tees....
All in all, it was a good course if not a little quirky, sometimes you felt like you were gambling a little more than golfing...I will be back to take some revenge on my final round where I went from -8 to Even in one round.
-Ronnie Unruh #20079
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

jump_putter wrote: #17 is a little silly with the length and the mando under the bridge, didnt really think this hole needed to be so long on the last 2 rounds.
Was it a mando under the bridge?
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

mrsenortyler wrote:
jump_putter wrote: #17 is a little silly with the length and the mando under the bridge, didnt really think this hole needed to be so long on the last 2 rounds.
Was it a mando under the bridge?
Yes it was, why? How many people threw over it? Hole #E was a mando under the bridge too. One round on my card I think we played as a mando into the bridge but only one person missed that mando..... :lol:
Eschew Obfuscation
jump_putter

Post by jump_putter »

Both had to be mando's due to the cars on the street above. E was fine, birdied that hole round 2, actually loved that hole, took a great shot to get a duece. 17 was fine to the short setting, but you really had to gamble to throw one long enuff for a 2 or easy 3 on the longer pins. Would have rather seen some shorter pins down by the creek to involve it more.
-Ronnie Unruh #20079
scott

Post by scott »

Hole 17 didn't have a mando under the bridge just the temp hole did
smitty

Post by smitty »

DUH wrote:Image
He doesn't look happy.

Someone didn't know he was "Bob PDGA treasurer".
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

scott wrote:Hole 17 didn't have a mando under the bridge just the temp hole did
Thanks Scott, I thought so. Some locals were talking about how sometimes people threw over the bridge.
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

As soon as I get a few computer problems resolved I'll be loading a number of pictures from Hays to my Discgolfers.rus profile for all to check out.
I had a great time in Hays and I can't congratulate and complement the local crew and parks department enough. The park was top notch and I look forward to seeing it again. I had great groups and got to watch some GREAT shotmaking. As always on the KDGA tour, the company was above compare, the weather was perfect for any time of year, and the course was picturesque. It really doesn't get a lot better than this.
NICE ACE BRADY! 8) I HOPE THAT EVERYONE WHO SAW IT PAID YOU THE $5!! :shock: I figured that was about an additional $60! :lol: Good Times :D !!!!
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

scott wrote:Hole 17 didn't have a mando under the bridge just the temp hole did
Interesting. I've never seen anyone go over it. I rarely get to play with locals though. Not sure I would ever take that route anyway though.
Eschew Obfuscation
str8

Post by str8 »

I won't have time to really share all of my thoughts until I have some time this weekend. But big thanks to Scott Haynes, Chris Glassman, and Dusty Ream, big thanks to our sponsors, and big thanks to all those who traveled to Hays. The 25th was a success!