Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

OZ Tour 2012

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
smitty

OZ Tour 2012

Post by smitty »

Already starting to work on the 2012 schedule. I plan on using the same plan that I used last year. Start with the 3X events, then scheduling the 2X events, then opening up the schedule to the rest of the events.

**We aren't sure if we are going to have 3X points this year. We are still having some serious discussion.
**There is a pretty good chance that we may have some Points Bonus.
**Ice Bowls and Food Drives will still be worth 10 bonus points and can be scheduled at any times.

Here are your events that qualified as 3X events for 2012.

Region 1:
Hays 3X 99 players
Ellis 2X 28 players
Ransom 2X 25 players
***Possible points bonanza event Norton

Region 2
GBO 3X 354 players
Shunga 3X 81 players
Manhattan 2X 69 players
***Something East of Topeka Lawrence or KC area

Region 3
Salina (Rock)3X 81 players
Beloit 3X 73 players
Herington 2X 81 players
***May not have Points Bonanza?? Maybe concordia??

Region 4
Doo Dah 3X 120 players
Winfield Cherry Street 2X 81 players
Derby 2X 73 players
***Possible points bonanza event Pittsburgh

Region 5
Pratt 2X 51 players
Hutch 2X 36 players
Wellington 2X 28 players
***possible points bonanza event Dodge City
88cruz88

Re: OZ Tour 2012

Post by 88cruz88 »

Just wondering if were getting close to having the 2012 tour schedule up...no hurries just wanted to start picking tourneys I think I can make this year!!!
smitty

Post by smitty »

Real close to having the super tour events. Waiting on Pratt and Hutchinson.
cfluty

Post by cfluty »

is adding "points bonanza" events really worth doing? why not just make every event a non multiplied point event? as a competitor, i want to go to the events with as many people possible, do you really think adding bonus points to a smaller market/region is going to increase the turnout? to me it isn't about the points, im still going to attend the same events year after year because of the competition. competing and attempting to win against a mass group is what i look at, not a 4 person division with a "points bonanza." Sure this draws away from promoting disc golf in smaller markets, but if no one shows up, your only benefitting the locals.

driving 3+ hours for a low turnout event doesn't make sense to me.
smitty

Post by smitty »

cfluty wrote:is adding "points bonanza" events really worth doing? why not just make every event a non multiplied point event? as a competitor, i want to go to the events with as many people possible, do you really think adding bonus points to a smaller market/region is going to increase the turnout? to me it isn't about the points, im still going to attend the same events year after year because of the competition. competing and attempting to win against a mass group is what i look at, not a 4 person division with a "points bonanza." Sure this draws away from promoting disc golf in smaller markets, but if no one shows up, your only benefitting the locals.

driving 3+ hours for a low turnout event doesn't make sense to me.
You also have the luxury of never traveling more then 1.5 hours and being able to play events that have "a mass group".

Live in Norton, Dodge City, or Pittsburgh. 1.5 is a short drive to a tourney. The idea is to give people that do play these events a little bonus if that is the locals, then so be it.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I'm only in favor of "points bonanza" or "bonus points" events on a small scale. The problems lies with deciding who gets a bonus event and who doesn't. I wouldn't say 1 per region because region 1 has many remote events, but region 4 doesn't have any. I think the remote events with low attendance could get 5 bonus points. The ones Smitty mentioned and maybe a few others. Another problem is we don't really know which events will be run yet this year. So some criteria may need to be set for future events.

The reason I think it should be small scale is that it make little difference for upper level players and makes too much difference for lower level players.

We could do some changing to qualifications to finals this year. I'm looking at seeing more of the better players making it in. Every year I see a ton of people sign up intermediate just because they figure they won't play many events. What if the chances of qualifying were improved in the higher divisions? Instead of 33% in each division, I am looking at:
45% Open and Women
40% Master & Gmaster
35% Advanced & Junior
30% Am Master
25% Intermediate

I think it was Bill who mentioned a "mini tour" withing each region to help promote attendance. The mini tour winner could get the regional bid to the finals. I like the way we do top "third" qualifying and last chance tournament qualifying, but if there is a creative idea for changing the regional qualifying, I think it could be worth looking into.
cfluty

Post by cfluty »

Yeah your right, I think the points bonanza needs to be more clearly explained. I still don't understand why anything needs changed in the first place, if you want more people in the finals just increase the number of qualifying spots. I remember in mikes thread posted at the end of the season labeling different point scenarios, most of the qualifying spots wouldn't have changed with a couple points here and there. You can't please everyone, there will be complaints either way.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

Do pros really cry that much more than lower divisions that they should be allowed double the people to qualify for the finals? I understand you don't want sandbagging but your idea does not incourage growth very well IMO.

Just saying
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I suppose their are different ways of looking at it. The original qualifying system was top 10 players got in, then top 12. That meant that any ams had to beat most of the pros to get into the finals. Now we have more ams getting in than pros. The way I'm seeing it, an am who is really an advanced player can play just a few events and get in. Especially since the players who don't play any events at all usually sign up intermediate, thus bumping up the number of players in that division. At the same time you have pros with hundreds of points who attended 10+ events and don't get in.
smitty

Post by smitty »

A simple fix for this "people getting in by only playing 2 or 3 events".

**A person can qualify for the finals buy playing in X number of events and finishing in the top 1/3 of their division, or getting in as a last chance tournament qualifier.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I see your point. I agree with smutty shouldn't be able to get by playing one or two events I would think those folks are sand baggers.

Another way to look at it is the sport is growing so you have more ams right now than pros. Disc golf is growing and it takes a little to get pro, I put in as much time as anyone over the last 2 years, and im not quite there, maybe by next Christmas. I am moving up this year so I can finish at the bottom again. But I'm sure not many think like I do, and want to play where they can win all the time.
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus