Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

2013 K-Ratings

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
Swede

2013 K-Ratings

Post by Swede »

Click here for 2013 K-Ratings
(Tip: press CTRL and F simultaneously to get a search box)

If you see a problem, please PM me. I’ve included some Frequently Asked Questions. Private Message me any further questions.

What is a K-Rating?
It is a Player Rating based on your performance at KDGA events. Most KDGA events will have their rounds rated just like at a PDGA event. K-Rating is the average of each player’s round ratings (with very low ratings excluded) over the course of the 2013 KDGA schedule.

What is it used for?
Whatever you like: Bragging rights, handicapping, substitute for PDGA ratings, and accurately assessing which division you should play in. But most importantly it is used for 1880 DUBS.

What is 1880 DUBS?
1880 is a Bring Your Own Partner event where teams play a combination of Best Shot, Tough Shot, Alternating Shot, and Switch Shot formats. The best part is that every team can get a fair shake because no team can have a combined player rating of more than 1880. So Rookies and Vets, Men and Women, Young and Old, Pro and Am can all compete for the same prize—1880 DUBS CHAMPS.

Who can play 1880 DUBS?
Any Player with 5 or more rated rounds in the 2013 KDGA schedule from Fore!Fathers Fling (March 9th) up through the Frontier Open (Sept 7th)

Which KDGA events won’t be rated?
Superclass events, Food Drives, events with excessive Mulligans, events that don’t provide an adequate TD report, and the GBO won’t be included.

Specifically how is a K-Rating Calculated?
A player’s K-Rating is the average of each KDGA rated round except those rounds rated below -2.5 Standard Deviations. For PDGA events, the unofficial round ratings are used—this is quicker than waiting a month or more for the PDGA to update their ratings. KDGA events are calculated approximately the same way a PDGA round is rated. Every player’s scores for the round are entered along with the current PDGA Player Ratings of each participant. Algorithms borrowed from the PDGA then spit out round ratings for each player based on the performance of the rated players (called "seeds").

To start this season, I am using 2012 K-Ratings instead of PDGA Player ratings as "seeds" for the following reasons:
1. I am only using 2012 K-Ratings of players with a minimum of 10 rated rounds (PDGA ratings can be based on as few as 2)
2. The PDGA doesn’t update Player Ratings for several months at the start of the season.
3. There are more K-Rated players than PDGA rated players which leads to more accurate ratings.
4. Many players let their PDGA membership lapse over winter so there are fewer PDGA players than normal.
5. Most players have more K-Rated rounds than PDGA rated rounds
Last edited by Swede on Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Throw Millennium.
Swede

Re: 2013 K-Ratings

Post by Swede »

Hey Frolfers, I could use your help. Got a new laptop and I need a copy of Microsoft Office so I can keep doing K-Ratings. Hoping somebody didn't use all 3 codes when they bought theirs. Or maybe you need Office too and we could split the cost? I'm sure you could write off the donation as a charitable gift to the KDGA :D
Throw Millennium.
mehunt

Post by mehunt »

Is there any place we can look to see our ratings and scores from previous years? I felt like I played better at Herrington, but still scored pretty high. I wondered how I did compared to last year.
Zach_Keys

Post by Zach_Keys »

are the scores even up yet for herrington? i don't remember how i did.
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
Swede

Post by Swede »

Swede wrote:If you see a problem, please PM me. I’ve included some Frequently Asked Questions. Private Message me any further questions.
Please PM me with questions so this thread doesn't become 6 pages of confusion.

I am still looking for a Microsoft Office keycode, someone to split the cost of Microsoft Office, or the $120 it takes to buy one. Also I just mailed back my second laptop in the last 2 weeks and am hoping the 3rd will be the charm.

Search the forum for previous year's tournament threads or previous K-Rating threads for old ratings.

Bump- K-Rats updated through Ponca City Open
Last edited by Swede on Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Throw Millennium.
kwiedwald

Post by kwiedwald »

Do you know when the K ratings will be updated to include The Rock results from this past weekend? Also do you know if the Rosedale Open in March was a KDGA event?

I am trying to qualify for 1880 Dubs and want to make sure i get enough rated rounds.

Thanks

Kyle
Swede

Post by Swede »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask me questions via Private Message. It will keep the thread readable.

The SCHEDULE for 2013 has all the KDGA events listed. It is color coded to indicate which tourneys are KDGA and/or PDGA events. KDGA SCHEDULE.

I am still working on a solution to the new laptop/no software issue. Josh McVey has stepped up to help me find an answer. Please be patient (or throw money/software at me and we can speed this thing along). Also, please keep in mind that you pay for a PDGA rating and wait sometimes more than a month to see them. I am doing this for free so please understand if it takes a week or two to get the data processed--even when I do have the equipment to do it.
Throw Millennium.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Thanks to the folks who offered assistance with software etc. I got ahold of Office '97 which is working ok.

Now I need your opinions/input. I had noticed before this weekend that very few rounds were being "thrown out" for being too low. The point of the K-Ratings (until someone else uses them) is to give fair ratings to players for 1880 Dubs. So some people want to keep a low rating to get a better partner. But it is human nature to want a high player rating, right??

I had a train wreck of a round this weekend that was included in my K-Rating. I know my round was a combination of really bad luck, me losing my mind, and possibly an act of God :D . I don't think it was a fair representation of my game. But I'm also aware I am biased. So I am asking what Y'all think about this proposed change...

The PDGA throws out rounds that are 2.5 Standard Deviations below your average round. That is what I have been using as well. As an experiment, I threw out rounds that were 2 Standard Deviations below average. The result is higher "cut offs" and more rounds removed. 20 (instead of 6) people are affected. Here are their results: Blue represents Current K-Rating and rounds which were already thrown out. Pink represents the new Rating and new rounds thrown out.

Full Disclosure: Zollman, Krasue, and I have the rounds that are most controversially excluded (closest to our "cut off"). I also have one other terrible round that isn't much higher than the one potentially excluded--though my 2 lowest rounds are 40+ points lower than the rest.

Tell me what you think, yay or nay to higher ratings?
Throw Millennium.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

It's your baby, do what you like... But I would guess that in general more people would rather have their terrible rounds thrown out rather than the same people in that group that want them included for 1880 doubles rating purposes.
Flickster

Post by Flickster »

I am an am, I would prefer a higher rating personally.TB. I dont know if it affects much,bit I noticed my super class rounds were not on there. TimBrown
CHAIN BISKITS
b

Post by b »

I say throw them out. Rounds that much lower than norm are not a true measure of a players skill. They are usually the result of a few errant throws that result in higher than normal scores. We have played several tourneys where an 8 or worse was very easy to get on certain holes, which could result in a 50 point drop in ratings due to one bad throw.
Swede

Post by Swede »

I know a lot of folks were at Worlds when I posted this so I'm giving it a bump and see if anyone else wants to chime in. You can read my big post above but basically I'm asking if more bad rounds should be thrown out or if we should keep to the model the PDGA uses. Under the PDGA guidelines, only 6 people had a round thrown out for being too low. Under this proposed method, 20 people would.

Here are the people affected
Blue = PDGA guidelines
Pink = Proposed K-Rating method

A couple folks said they like the proposed change. I'm leaning that way unless I hear different...
Throw Millennium.
Bvogel

Post by Bvogel »

Thanks for putting in the work to make K-ratings happen. Stats for sports are fun.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Nelson-

When do you think you will have the K-rating figured with Beloit included. Kindy tanked it at Beloit and there could be a return of the Mindy's....

Later

Smitty
smitty

Post by smitty »

Nelson-

When do you think you will have the K-rating figured with Beloit included. Kindy tanked it at Beloit and there could be a return of the Mindy's....

Later

Smitty