Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Super Class Saunter @ PEABODY June 22nd

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
Swede

Super Class Saunter @ PEABODY June 22nd

Post by Swede »

And now for something completely different...

2013 Super Class Saunter at Peabody City Park
Saturday June 22nd @ 10am

Entry Fee: Almost Nothin. And it comes with a free Super Class approved disc!!
$12 Entry = $2 towards payout + $2 KDGA fees + $8 DX Zephyr

Optional: Wanna play for something other than joy? Kick in an extra $5 toward payout in your division. If you already have a Super Class disc I'll keep the Zephyr and put $5 of your entry toward payout.

The Super Classiest: Lowest score earns your name on the traveling trophy and the option to host next year's Saunter.

Saunter: to walk about in an idle or leisurely manner

Season getting expensive? Taking yourself and your game a little too seriously? Feel like flipping your Lid? :wink: Leave the bag, leave the stress, hell, leave the shoes at home. Slow down and git yourself down to Peabody and do what hooked ya way back when--smile at a flying disc. If you haven't been to Peabody, make this your excuse. Gem of a 9-hole frolf course with mature trees and nifty shots. I just played it barefoot and aced 2 of the temp holes!

Super Class discs are bigger diameter, slower, taller and sweeter than golf discs. Here's a list of all approved Super Class discs. You can bring as many as you want but it feels classiest to carry just one lid.

Can't throw those big things? Not any good at it? Who cares? It's 12 bucks. Come have a laugh and leave 1 disc richer.
Throw Millennium.
Chucker9

Re: Super Class Saunter @ PEABODY June 22nd

Post by Chucker9 »

Swede, you definately need to be a salesperson. This is one of the greatest tourney annoucements I've ever seen. I'm sure you'll get an extra 20 people just by the way you laid it out....I want a barefoot Ace....I tried two weeks ago at a little elementry school course in KC, no such luck. This sounds like a blast, I hope I'm in town for it.
God,Family,Discgolf,DenverBroncos,Sooners...Says it all for me.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Thanks, Mike. Really looking forward to this.

born & bred on ultimate in the 70's/80's, i was introduced to disc golf last week...

i find the discs (mini whiz rings as i call them) to be quite foreign to me, although i'm picking it up.
yeah, i'm old school, but i'd just like to whip around the course with one disc - like, a wham-o, clyde.

then i went to the pdga website -
to discover that they have introduced a new classification - the super class
big & beautiful diskage - the kind grandma used to use...

they stated that they wanted to put more finesse & technique back into the game -
promote par 4 & 5 course experiences -
as well as attract former/current ultimate/etc players to the game of disc golf.

i for one, find the prospect quite attractive.
but i imagine i am in the minority.
are there others out there like me? (say: "old hippies")

is it possible that a "super class" classification might be part of kdga tourneys?
will someone be daring enough to hold a stand-alone super class tournament??

i would appreciate hearing your thoughts...............Harry

by one19 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:21 am

Harry Scott Shimp saw the appeal of Super Class straight away. And his enthusiasm was infectious. Salina hosted the "Super Class Showdown" at Thomas Park in 2010 and again in 2011. After Harry's passing, his buds threw him a righteous shindig that was the "Harry Scott Shimp Memorial Super Class Showdown" in 2012. The club and Harry's friends teamed up to provide beer, sandwiches, ribs, poetry, and a jam session in addition to a couple rounds of Zephyr slingin.

After the tourney, R/B explained that I was to run the next Super Class event. He said it was Harry's vision that the tournament would travel around Kansas, being hosted by the previous year's winner.

I admit I wasn't immediately thrilled at the thought of trading free entry into next year's event for the responsibility of running one. And I'm sorry to say that I barely knew Harry. But I believe I understand his spirit. And I share the joy he had for the flight of the big lid.

So though there won't be a keg or a meaty barbeque (unless your friends have deeper pockets than mine :D ), there will be the cheapest tourney you've ever played. And there will be a one hit wonder in the players pack that will never get old. Like hearing the old jam you rocked out to in your first car, everytime you throw a Zephyr, you're gonna smile.

If you're coming to Peabody, and I really hope you are, don't worry if you are crowned the Super Classiest. No one is going to make you run a tourney. If that's not your speed, I'll do it again next year. But I think the spirit might move you. If not you, maybe the next. I have faith that this trophy is gonna travel around Kansas. It may not be in much of a hurry. No, more likely it's gonna saunter.
Throw Millennium.
Swede

Post by Swede »

I plan being @ ICT league tomorrow with a box full of Dx Smiles. Buy a $12 Zephyr tomorrow, hone your big lid craft, show up the 22nd pre-paid and prepped for a string of birdies.
Throw Millennium.
smitty

Post by smitty »

All 3 Smith Boys plan on flippin our lids!

How rad will it be for them to say "The first tourney I ever played was a super class event"
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I forgot about this until now. Maybe I mentioned it on the forum before. At the Hays Ice Bowl, I played with a guy that had an interesting story. He spoke of "a man that threw a large disc, one made out of DX plastic, that floated in the air! AND, this cat threw a roller with it and it went forever"! I said I knew him, his name was Harry! He said "how can I get ahold of him? I found one of his discs." He pulled a disc out of his bag and it said Harry on it. I said "keep it and throw it. Don't know how to tell you this, but Harry got sick and passed away". I told him about this tourney. He said he wanted to go to the tourney! Now I can't remember his name. Harry's influence and spirit lives on!
Swede

Post by Swede »

Got 12 holes set up. 2 par 4s and the rest are reachable. If you thought Salina was long last year, you'll enjoy a bunch more birdie looks at Peabody. I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple eagles on Saturday.

Schedule:
9am to 9:45: Check-In and Zephyr testing
10am: 2 loops of 12
Lunch: Pack it and enjoy the park or hit a Local Spot
Final 12
Brief Awards
Optional Doubles / Classy Catch / Libations
Throw Millennium.
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

I'm in. Can't wait to get my feet a little dirty.
"Power means nothing without control young turtles" -Master Splinter
Swede

Post by Swede »

A table full of smiles (with a Buzzz for scale). Image
Throw Millennium.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Apparel:

For those looking to throw barefoot, bring some flip flops for in-between shots. Played a round without flops yesterday and my tender princess feet weren't happy about the pine cones.

Tight, too short, cut-off jean shorts are not required but strongly encouraged.

Also hats. Big, big, hats.
Throw Millennium.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Consider packing a lunch and hanging with the Hyzernauts and crew over lunch.

There will be no kdga ace fund BUT the Hyzernaut Ace Fund is up to $350 and will be in play for everyone with a Hyzernaut bag tag.
$10 for the tag
$2 for the event if you've already got a tag.
Any ace earns you 1/2 the pot. An ace on the designated Hyzernaut Hole gets you the whole pot! Something tells me we are gonna put a hurt on that Ace Fund.
Throw Millennium.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Not going to make it for this one. Hit a deer the other day and car is still not fixed. Hope many come out and enjoy this event!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Let's do this! Never even thrown a Zephyr yet. I feel like letting my freak flag fly. If I still had a freak flag. Any doubles afterward? Been wanting to check out Hyzernaut Farm and Centennial also. Guess we'll see what happens.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Don, sorry about your car, the deer, and that you don't get to see Mike rummaging through his trunk looking for his leather freak flag.

Mike, keep in mind this is a family event. I'm not sure the ground is hard enough for you to frolf in heels anyway. But your hyzer release is built for getting Super Classy.

Something to consider: If Mike and Bill Paulson showed up to the same event, would the KDGA implode?

I hope we run out of Zephyrs and cards. SuperDuper pumped. See y'all!
Throw Millennium.
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

best. response. ever!