Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

1880 DUBS -- Saturday Oct 3 @ Camp Hawk

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
b

Re: 1880 DUBS -- Saturday Oct 3 @ Camp Hawk

Post by b »

I'd put a cap on the top ranked player. w/o looking at the total no. people available to pair at any total picked (1780-1800) i'd guess about 920-930
Geo95

Post by Geo95 »

I would say set it to 1800 because it makes it better for people playing in the lower division instead of playing against 4 other teams and not much competition.
Air Capital Lover!
Swede

Post by Swede »

All feedback so far is for raising the lower division. Please speak up if you have a different opinion. I know there aren't a ton of players rated below 800 but a change like this means it would be VERY difficult for them to be competitive--they would need one of the best 20 players in Kansas to chose to play the lower division with them.

I'm not a fan of excluding them. But I'm also not a fan of the top players in Kansas playing the lower division. My original vision for the tourney was to have every team believing they could win. For that reason, I don't want to do anything that subtracts from the number or strength of the teams competing in the 1880 division.

I'm still listening. Keep at me. I'll make a decision tomorrow.
Throw Millennium.
teebirdputter

Post by teebirdputter »

I think and heard a thought earlier today that making this a 2 day event in the future one day for the 1880 and another day for a lower division 1800,1780,or 1740 whatever allowing players to double dip and forcing or allowing the higher rated players to play with the lower rated players the second day our even the first day. I think that the lower division is a cop out for lower rated played to justify staying where they are at. This event is fun because you see people that might not other wise play a round together or even know each other /play together make a bond. That is a cool deal. Keep it as is and let see higher rated players pull some of the lower rated players up and help them build friendships and maybe give them some encouragement. Let's build a family
arobb

Post by arobb »

Last year's 1740 teams would have finished tied for 31st, tied for 34th, and tied for 38th. The top teams in 1740's were 17 shots behind the winners. The best sub-1800 team finished tied for 24th (4 shots up on the 1740 winner), and that was with two guys who play advanced (896 and 892).

People can always opt to play up - but for those teams who are lower rated, this gives a better chance to "believe they can win." I don't honestly believe that my partner and I (two guys at 880ish) have a chance at winning the upper division playing against the top pros and advanced players in the state. I believe that we'd be competitive in a division where we'd be within 50 points of the top possible team.
Swede

Post by Swede »

teebirdputter wrote:let see higher rated players pull some of the lower rated players up and help them build friendships and maybe give them some encouragement. Let's build a family
This is what I'm after. The problem is that there are less than 25 players rated 960+. They need a partner 920 or lower--there are more than 270 of those. The last couple years we've had about 50% of those top 25 players play (which is great) but it leaves more than 250 people without an option to make a competitive team for the top division.

I want to give every opportunity for the best players in Kansas to come play this tourney. But I don't want to turn away the rest.

@arobb- I agree that being within 50 or 60 ratings points of the cap is what I'd call having a shot to win. Smitty and Mel are the only team to cash that wasn't 1820 or higher. But no matter what the divisional cap is, it's up to you all to make teams that can be competitive.
Throw Millennium.
jbjbaseball11

Post by jbjbaseball11 »

This will be my first year playing 1880s but just looking at the numbers you would give more people a chance to find a partner/play with a higher cap on the lower division this way a 900 rated player can look at people he/she has played with/against throughout the year...yes, I understand the idea is to play with someone you might not know but let's face it most people are only going to play with someone who they at least know who they're talking to not some complete stranger they picked by a number. So I vote for whatever it takes to give more people a chance to play rather than simply signing up pro or am.
BMFNT

Post by BMFNT »

Scooba had a rough weekend in Hays. But on the bright side, we're now eligible to team up again. 1878
BT - ACDGC Communications Director
belsan21

Post by belsan21 »

Joe Belsan and Eric Wall playing together this year. Should be in the 1855 range.
Swede

Post by Swede »

We're going with 1880 / 1780 this year. Happy hunting!
Throw Millennium.
pironix

Post by pironix »

Because I was curious (and maybe because I'm a numbers nerd).... I went through breakdowns by the divisions that were being talked about. Meant to have it done before Swede changed the lower division cap but life gets in the way....

If you are curious to see the teams you can find the spreadsheet here - http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/kdga_incl ... teams.xlsx
leepen

Post by leepen »

Camp Hawk is my home course. My K-rating is 853. I'm looking for a partner with a 927 or lower K-rating to play the 1780 devision. I would be willing to play the 1880 devision as a second option. Lee Penner
Boebo

Post by Boebo »

Insert Jaws theme music here! The Sharks are circling!!
"YOU CAN'T SELL SHORT
YOU CAN'T TEACH TALL
& YOU CAN'T BUY COOL"
Swede

Post by Swede »

1880 / 1780 Online Registration opens Sunday @ 6pm.

If everything goes well, I'll get K-Ratings up Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Come play Super Class on Sunday if you want to pay me in cash. No, you can't just swing by and pay me, you gotta get Super Classy.

Shout out to ARobb for throwing down a donation! That brings the donor count to 8! which means 1/5 of the spots are already nicked.
Throw Millennium.
Swede

Post by Swede »

K-Ratings are finished for 2015. Amen. Go find a teammate. Tickets on sale Sunday @ 6pm.

Hyzernauts have chipped in to have the course looking and playing Super Sweet. Check out the scary green modification for a deeper alt pin on Hole 1. Tee from the same spot (SW corner of parking lot)
Throw Millennium.