Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Weakest part of your game?

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice

Weakest shot in your bag

Putting <25 feet
15%
Putting 25 feet to 60 feet
9%
Short upshots 120 feet and in
7%
Anhyers
7%
Long bombing drives
13%
Tunnel shots
4%
2 finger shots
6%
Rollers
15%
hyzering around things
4%
Brain farts
20%

Total votes: 54

smitty

Weakest part of your game?

Post by smitty »

I have to go with rollers. I have no control on where these things are going to end up most of the time. I have been using an old beat up crush, and it tends to go way right after it hits the ground.

Eric told me he throws his roller flat, and lets it flip for him. I have tried that and it is getting better. I will still only go with a roller if it is the only shot, or the hole is so long that a roller may get me a chance at a 2 that an air shot will not reach. I look at it like this. If I screw up, am I still going to be able to get a 3? If so, then I might throw a roller.

What works the best for me is taking a straight flying disc, and throwing it with anhyer and throwing it low. Maybe hitting the ground 120-150 from the tee.

Kevin and Chad throw them on lots of long holes with good luck. Kevin throws the Roadrunner these days, and is money with it. He has to put a little anhyzer on it to get it to do what he wants. Kev does reach for the Stingray also. Chad on the other hand uses old school Xls. He throws them hard and flat, and gets them to hit the ground and usually go were he wants them.

I still think that Ronald McOkie is one of the best rollers that we see very often. He likes to use and old Z Wildcat. So he is probably throwing pretty flat, like Chad and Eric, and letting the disc do the work for him. He also will grab a Stratus and roll short holes.

I practice rollers almost every time I go out on the course, and look forward to the day that I can throw them during tournies, and know where they are going to go.
Last edited by smitty on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smitty

Post by smitty »

You cannot just vote. You have to tell us what is weak, and why. Then maybe someone can help you out or give you some tips.
Last edited by smitty on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superq

Post by superq »

Good Link for rollers

You might want to try a more stable disc and get comfortable throwing a cut type roller first. look at 375-425 foot hole where you can lay a roller down right of the pin and have the disc on edge going left the entire way so that it curls around to finish at or left of the pin.

I am no expert on rolling but before the big switch I was rolling a se TL pretty good and very consistantly where I wanted it a long way (parked number 2 long at wyco a few times)

Work on the cut roller first then you will understand the angle and what the disc wants to do, then you can incorporate a less stable disc and get the roller that you lay down at close to 45 degree and it slowly stands up as its rolling and finishes to the right. (threw one last night at crestview past long hole 5 - the one along fairlawn up to the corner by long john silvers)

Remind me next time I see you if you want to see what I am talking about
cottenokie

Post by cottenokie »

My whole game is pretty weak :( but the worst thing is I can not get a drive to be consistantly long :?:
BOOMER SOONER!!
smitty

Post by smitty »

I think that my biggest problem is the disc is landing to tall, or to straight up and down. Then when it hits, it has no chance and heads off to the right.

When I roll the Tracker, it is going left a little, then right to straight, then it finishes left.

I just need to be more aware of the angle, speed of throw, and wind. They all play an important part. I know all the mechanics, and ins and outs, it is just doing it.

For example:

The best wind should be from left to right for me. It is going to hold my disc up and allow it more time to roll farther. I need to throw a more stable disc, or land it with a smaller angle. Because the wind is going to try and push it over to the right. If I throw my normal roller, and throw it slower, I will probably be fine. If I try to bomb the crap out of it, it is gone 8 blocks out of the park to the right.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Hands down, without a doubt, the 2 finger is what I suck at!
smitty

Post by smitty »

cottenokie wrote:My whole game is pretty weak :( but the worst thing is I can not get a drive to be consistantly long :?:
I have watched you throw Kev. I think that throwing less stable plastic would help you out. Also, when you pull your arm across you body, it is pretty low. Closer to your waist then your shoulers.

If you reach up higher when your arm is back, you will pull more smooth, you will have a lot more controll with a lot less effort.
smitty

Post by smitty »

McCabe wrote:Hands down, without a doubt, the 2 finger is what I suck at!
You always say that, and I disagree. You may not be able to throw a 400 foot 2 finger. When you do bust out the 2 finger, it always ends up close to the bucket. You have good touch with the 2 finger.

The hole on the east side at Jones park with the parking lot and the narrow strip of grass. That hole is easy for you. Throw to the tree, throw a 150 foot 2 finger and drop in. I almost crap my pants on the upshot. That little 2 finger is more helpful, and harder to master then the long one.
superq

Post by superq »

PUTTING

although last night I hit every putt from 35-55 jumpers, but only made 6 of 10 from inside the circle...

:(
smitty

Post by smitty »

superq wrote:PUTTING

although last night I hit every putt from 35-55 jumpers, but only made 6 of 10 from inside the circle...

:(
Which are you going to have more of in a tourney? Those are the ones that you need to work on. In my opinion, anything outside the circle is a bonus.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

smitty wrote: Those are the ones that you need to work on. In my opinion, anything outside the circle is a bonus.
I agree.
superq

Post by superq »

yea the thing is I am dying with weight shift, I throw the same putt from 10 feet I throw from 35 feet the difference is from 35 I jump so I get great weight shift, on the 25 footer I have trouble shifting weight to get the putter on the right line, I end up hitting a lot of facemasks from 25-35. I am a big guy I have planty of weight to shift I just cant get the timing quite right. Plus I have decided to stick with the pitch putt (after watching you putt in Mac I tinkered with the spin putt but when I miss I tend to skip a long way and roll)

Just need more practice and the weight shift will come around it comes and goes, there will be rounds where I hit everything and then rounds I struggle the good news is that 95% of my misses are high and low so I have the left right dialed in.
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

Long bombing drives for me no doubt. My short game is the only thing that saves me most of the time. I think I have the power to get the distance but it's either my technique or poor disc choice that kills me. Lately I've been having pretty good luck with a 159 Champ Sidewinder but it can be unpredicatable in a breeze. I rarely use a roller but have pretty good luck with them when I do find it necessary and my two finger works pretty well in my short game. I never use a forehand for driving.
Eschew Obfuscation
smitty

Post by smitty »

Nivek9 wrote:Long bombing drives for me no doubt.
Kevin, that is called being old! :D

I have not played many rounds with you, so I have no pointers. Sounds like you disc selection would be good. Light and slightly flippy.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

No option for hyzer's on here.

If I have to throw a hyzer around a tree, I'll cut it too soon. If I have to throw a hyzer just above a tree or branch, I'll throw it low. And every other situation with a hyzer you can think of.

I'm money on short upshots from 120 ft, until it comes tournament time then I'm always, short and left, or right, anywhere but parked.
Last edited by Ruder on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.