Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Hook a brutha up (long and drunk post)

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

ronconversjr wrote: there are many ways to open a nut ,holding 2 in your hand and squeezing is elegant and works part of the time .Hitting it with a hammer is not elegant, but works every time...they don`t give points for elegance,just success .In other words get too fancy you might be HUNGRY!
NOW THERE`S SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT good luck! :wink:

I think everyone needs to read this again before The Rock. It is really truly sound advice and can save you more than a few strokes throughout the course of a tournament.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
ronconversjr

Re: Hook a brutha up (long and drunk post)

Post by ronconversjr »

With Hays coming up I thought I'd review this post. The advice is sound and WILL take some strokes off your game. Contributors to this column include World Champion Eric McCabe, Team Discraft player Chris Smith, Team Discraft player Ron Convers, Mike Schoenhoffer, and T -Rude. Start at the beginning and wade through, it's worth it.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Zach Y

Post by Zach Y »

Very well said by all contributors. Definitely answers questions I would ask due to the rut my game has been in.
A great shot is when you try it, a good shot is when you don't have the guts to pull it off.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I have found that this is very interesting at least, I hope at I can use something from this, one thing that I plan to try is during tournament not watching the other guys shots, and trying to match. Try to turn my back and make my throw as in more playing alone. I seem to play better alone than with others. I have been playing for less than one year and have went for 20+ rounds to consistently throwing 6-7 overs. I was fortunate to recently acquire my own basket, so my putting has really came around. Hays was my first big tournament last year 2010 and watching Trude and Ron tear up the putting contest has really changed my game. Ron made a post about mimicking putting form, and that is kinda what have done, I have taken the image of what I remember about your stance, and tried to use that. It may look nothing like yours but my mind has copied what I remember. I was out with don mordicia yesterday and hit a nice 40 foot jump putt and a couple 30 footers. It has seemed like there has been days where I cant miss, I still miss a lot but the precent I make has gone up significantly! I have switched to a challenger for my main putter and I use a vibram summit for my jump putts and really like this combo, it has been good and is getting better and better.

My question is this for you tracy, from what I remember you take a kinda wide stance. This is what I have adopted anyways, what is good way to not come up too much ie not stepping past your marker like with your jump putt?
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

When not jump putting how do you put power in to your putt without standing up too fast and stepping past your maker?
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Try turning a little more to the side. Also please consider this, the best "jump" putts really aren't ...they are just you, following through, after applying more force than you could and remain in a fixed position. In other words, if the "jump" is follow through, it's good. In most other cases the jump is either causing a loss of control, or outright breaking the rules. Focus on hitting the line with the right amount of force, the jump will come by itself.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

kscustom wrote: Ron made a post about mimicking putting form, and that is kinda what have done, I have taken the image of what I remember about your stance, and tried to use that. It may look nothing like yours but my mind has copied what I remember.
I Probably have 20 peoples putts memorized. Like you say, they may not look the same- but they do in my head.
kscustom wrote:My question is this for you tracy, from what I remember you take a kinda wide stance. This is what I have adopted anyways, what is good way to not come up too much ie not stepping past your marker like with your jump putt?
Without being able to see you putt its hard to say, and I also putt diff than I used to. BUT, I'd say you need to make sure your arm has a nice good swing to it that way you don't have to rely on your legs doing the work.

If you make it to the Ice Bowl hit me up and I can help you out.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I will be there for sure, I also think it's super cool that a lot of the KS pros have been so cool to me and have helped me out as much as you guys all have.
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus