Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

How to open disc golf course in miami county

General Disc Golf Chatter
scarpfish

Re: How to open disc golf course in miami county

Post by scarpfish »

Here's a good place to get started:

http://pdga.org/cd_start.php
str8

Post by str8 »

The best place to start is with a rec center and parks dept. With the rec center, try to get a basket and putter into their hands. They're always looking for a way to promote community activities or family outings. With the parks dept ask a lot of questions. If the community becomes educated about the sport they usually jump on board. Let the park director think it's his/her idea and be wiiling to be at the city meeting if it is discussed. This way the commisioners understand through a dg'ers perspective in regadrs to designing a course. Some directors do well at designing courses ans others fail miserably. It never hurts to get in touch with the Convention and Visitors Bureau, they're always looking to attract out-of-towners.

That's what I'd do to get the ball rolling, if you need proposals, requests, pr tools or just a question, shoot me a pm.
Guyster

Post by Guyster »

From my experience, the more you have planned out already, the better shape you will be in. I had a couple locations picked out and even mapped out where holes would be on each one. I took my ideas and created a powerpoint presentation (what disc golf is, the costs, benefits to community, etc.) and met the city commission board first to get permission to try and raise funds to put in the course. Once they approved the idea and location, I requested to meet, present my proposal and ask for money with all of the local committees I could think of (recreation board, lake board, etc.)

If you need anything, let me know.

James Guy
Anthony Lake DGC
cell: 620-340-3727