Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Disc Golf Tournament on a Ball Golf Course

General Disc Golf Chatter

WShat do you think

I would Attend
88%
I would Not Attend
12%

Total votes: 33

Mace Man

Disc Golf Tournament on a Ball Golf Course

Post by Mace Man »

Over the past few days I have been approached by the Elks Country Club here in Salina about having a disc golf tournament on their course. This would include golf carts for the rounds, Beer carts roaming the course and the use of the country club. Thoughts are to also have a party that might include a band that night. The set up would be like a Golf tournament @ a country club not a the local park. With using their grounds some of the entry fees would include greens fees and cart fees. Some or more of these fees could be covered by sponsorships.

With the full disc golf tournament schedule one of the few dates that there are no tournaments in Kansas and is an open date that would work with them is Oct 25th, the same as The Oklahoma Open. In order to make this happen we would need to have at least 50 players in order for the Elks to justify closing the course to ball golfers. We are looking to the entry fees to be around $50-$75.

All Disc Golfers have talked about this and have dreamed about it. Right now I am throwing out ideas and possibility's.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Make it a PDGA event and get a few people to play it over the Oklahoma Open.

One day B-tier.

I know more money from the tourney. Probably could't have Beer? Unless you got it cleared by the PDGA or "just looked" the other way.

If you want to have 80 or more people, PDGA may be the only way to go.
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

I would show up either way.
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

PDGA would be cool, I think you'd be good with the 200 mile rule too.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

That sounds like a lot of fun, Mr. Mace. I would be down for that as long as I was free for the day.

They have to treat us like royalty though. I want the wine & the cheese, the caviar, professional caddy...

Post by 2 »

Even I would show up 4 this one!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

smitty wrote:Probably could't have Beer? Unless you got it cleared by the PDGA or "just looked" the other way.
I don't even know you anymore Smitty. No beer? We will be cruising in golf carts and waving down the beer cart girl like she is our best friend (cause she will be :) ). Nothing like this has been done in KS before and after looking at the course, I think it would be an unbelievably good time!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

What are your ideas for the course? Play it as the regular course, or play it safari style?

I don't know exactly how the course plays, but one problem with playing it just like the ball golf holes is that the holes tend to be long and open. Some holes might be okay, but the par 5's would be too much. You might bring a lot more trees in play by skipping around. If the course was closed to ball golfers, you could do this.

Another thing that is typical with fly 18 courses is that greens and bunkers are OB. I agree with the bunkers, but hell, why not put the baskets on the greens? I take some discs every time I play ball golf and even spike hyzers don't damage the greens as bad as ball marks. They only leave a mark at all when the greens are really wet. Even if they do, you can fix them easily. Playing on the greens is pretty fun because it is a faster surface than any we typically get to play on.
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Just to clarify, we would be playing the ball golf course as is? rather than make disc golf temp holes using the terrain? You're looking at an almost 15,000 ft course from the short tees.

http://salinaelks.org/gallery/images/scorecard.pdf
Austin

Post by Austin »

What are your ideas for the course?
Just to clarify, we would be playing the ball golf course as is? rather than make disc golf temp holes using the terrain?
We are playing on a ball golf course. No one has been out to layout any of the course. I don't think it would be practical to play the entire length of the course. I am sure there will be a couple of monsters, but it will be playable for everyone.
greens and bunkers are OB.
It is an Elks club. I doubt they would be happy about us being on the greens.
Austin

Post by Austin »

mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Schoen-hopper wrote: Another thing that is typical with fly 18 courses is that greens and bunkers are OB. I agree with the bunkers, but hell, why not put the baskets on the greens? I take some discs every time I play ball golf and even spike hyzers don't damage the greens as bad as ball marks. They only leave a mark at all when the greens are really wet. Even if they do, you can fix them easily. Playing on the greens is pretty fun because it is a faster surface than any we typically get to play on.
Man I sure would be nervous to play on a green. I suppose it makes a difference if they are USGA greens, or just push-up greens. I guess they are mostly sand, but they are really expensive usually.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

If you are paying a green fee, you should be able to play on the green. My experience is that discs do less damage to greens than balls do. Nobody wearing spike either. If they say no, you could probably find some other locations in the trees, but I think its worth a shot.
smitty

Post by smitty »

If you want the chance to do it again in the future. Stay off the greens.
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

smitty wrote:If you want the chance to do it again in the future. Stay off the greens.

Best advive EVER put on the forum :!: :!: :!:
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!