Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Will Be Visiting Hutchinson - Local DG Tips Wanted

General Disc Golf Chatter
PETRIE

Will Be Visiting Hutchinson - Local DG Tips Wanted

Post by PETRIE »

Dear Hutch DG Locals,

I will be staying in Hutchinson on business for a few days and considering I have SPRING FEVER :P I'm going to try to squeeze in some disc golf action if I can. I don't really know anything about Hutch so I'm trying to figure out where to go to play and if any stores sell DG gear.

I've read about a 18 hole course in Carey Park and something about a 9 hole course in South Park. Do you have any advise for me for these courses or any others? Also, where do you suggest I go to see what DG gear is for sale in Hutch?

Any advice you could pass along will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

smitty

Re: Will Be Visiting Hutchinson - Local DG Tips Wanted

Post by smitty »

Hutch course is pretty cool.

Newton is less then 45 minutes away and is sick.

If you need some gear, try Dynamicdiscs.com, they have everything that you need.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

As a wise KDGA member found for me, the South Park course I thought was in Hutchinson, KS is actually in Hutchinson, MN. Take a look at the page, sure looks like Kansas... I think the steam engine and beauty queen distracted me http://www.hutchinson-guide.com/disc-go ... south-park

Thanks for the tip about the Newton course, my DG crew may have to make a special trip there if it is sick. Is it worth a two hour drive down then a two hour drive back?

Regarding DG gear, I don't really NEED anything, but if I get my hands on something special, I'd probably have to buy it.

scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

I had to wonder for a moment where this mysterious "South Park" was, considering the disc course at Carey is the most southerly point in town. :D

Rick, Carey is mostly flat and open, and about 5850' in length. Shortest hole is 200', longest about 550'. A lot of the holes are in the 275'-350' range. As of my last visit (with the weather, I haven't been down there since the blizzard), its a 17 hole layout for the time being. Hole 2's basket is missing. You can make up for it by throwing to #8 a bit farther out and to the right.

Best courses within a reasonable drive are Newton (30 minutes), Pratt (1 hour), and Colwich (35 minutes). McPherson (25 minutes) also has a nice 9 holer.

There to my knowledge is no known brick and mortar shop here selling discs. (If it weren't for the graveyard shift job, I'd consider starting one).
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

If you are wanting to play some great courses, Kansas City is not far from Manhattan. A dozen nice courses there; soon to be more.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Anybody have links to course maps for these courses? Preferably the one in Hutch and Newton because I'm going there soon.
Last edited by PETRIE on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

The KCFDC has info on their courses at their website.

http://www.kcfdc.org/courses.html
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

... but I don't have business to conduct in KC. :(

The KC courses are on my to do list but they will have to wait till summer. When that time comes... I'll be right back here to get everybody's advice.

scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Carey Park DGC map

Photo tour of Pratt May Dennis course

I don't know of any other course maps online. McPherson is really easy to follow. Last visit to Colwich there were scorecards available with a rough map on the back of them.

These are all pages on discgolfcoursereview.com. These four courses have some pictures.
Hutchinson - Carey Park page on DGCR
McPherson - Lakeside Park page on DGCR
Newton - Camp Hawk page on DGCR
Colwich - Cowskin DGC page on DGCR
Zach_Keys

Post by Zach_Keys »

Herman Hill's Map in Wichita:
http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/hermanmap.html

Oak Park's Map in Wichita:
http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/oakmap.html
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Thanks for all the help. I was able to get a good full round in at Newton and Hutchinson.

Here's a few photos
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAMP HAWK JUST SOUTH OF NEWTON, KS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SALT CITY COURSE AT CAREY PARK IN HUTCHINSON, KS