Lake Perry Course Pics Update

General Disc Golf Chatter
carlbren21

Lake Perry Course Pics Update

Postby carlbren21 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:19 pm

I recently went to check the progress at Lake Perry and took some pics. The pads are poured, and they have done a LOT of clearing on their own out there. Put it this way... we were able to throw 2/3 of the holes which was unthinkable this summer. They have the mach 3 powder coated baskets with flags in and ready to be set when things get complete! We will be scheduling several more work days out there over the fall/winter and hope to have the course ready for a spring tournament. If anyone is interested in helping with these I will be posting more info on this thread about them, but you may also contact me. We be opening the course the weekend of the tournament (whenever it is ready). No baskets will be set until everything is complete and ready to go. I am waiting on a map from the ranger out there so I can post it and people can navigate their way around the course to check it out. Here are the pics I took while out there.....

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... %20Course/

Let me know what you think!

Bren
lsdiscs@sbcglobal.net

mrsenortyler

Re: Lake Perry Course Pics Update

Postby mrsenortyler » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 pm

That's gonna be so Sweeeeet!

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:33 am

Nice Bren! Looked through the pics and saw you have a map there. Thanks for posting.

Still sounds crazy that the pads went in before the course is cleared out. But at least you know you have them! How the heck did they get in there to pour these?! I saw a bullet shaped pad like these once that had a fault line where the semi-circle started. This helped keep people from running off the end of the pad (erosion issue).

Would love to hear some more details as they come. Winter will be a good time for clearing out the rest of the course. Here's what I see from the pics.

1-Looks like a between the tree stands or maybe over the top. Around 350'?
2-Low ceiling. If this is also 350, it will be tough to throw far that low.
3-The uphill dog leg left. Due to the uphill and length, it looks like going to far won't be an issue off the tee. It will be keeping the shot straight through enough of the flight. Is there a way to cut out 2 routes going to the pin? Like a group of trees that you can short cut (should be more difficult) if your drive lands a little short?
4-Tons of trees! Hehe, that's all I can see. Almost looks like hole 1 at Ted's Dread.
5-Wow, what a killer hole! Couldn't tell much after the downhill shot through the tunnel. What is it, about 400' through and 400' more?
6-Uphill into a pocket, this looks like a classic birdie/bogey hole. Got to be accurate.
7-Looks like a Rosedale down under valley hole. Which trees get cut will make a big difference on how it plays. Assuming some of those just to the right of the pad will go.
8-Tree hell! Looks like it opens up 3/4 down the fairway. Could make a narrow straight gap, and a wider righty hyzer lane that plays over the more uphill & difficult if you hit a tree.
9-Man, this looks like a beauty. Nice view. The way the trees are cut out (looks like not too much needed) will define the character. As downhill as it is, a low route will be needed. Maybe a low anny and sky hyzer? Cool that 9 loops you back to the parking lot. On a long hiker of a course, that's a good thing.
10-Basket outside trees with room for an alt deeper inside the trees? One tree in the middle could be well placed.
11- Couldn't tell. Uphill at 400' sounds like a par 3.5.
12- This one says 2 perfect RHBH anny's to get a 3. Looks tight. The map looks like this better describes hole 13, so one of these is missing. Long walk between 12 & 13?
14-Going over a slice of the pond sounds cool. More risk/reward than shooting straight over. Like you said though, this one needs cleared. You can't see anything. Hard to imagine just getting out of the woods, let alone driving over the water. Or maybe this one just approaches from the inland side?
15-Downhill over the pond. This could be one of the most scenic holes in Kansas. Water in play on the short, very fun bombing drive for the long.
16-Very reachable downhill. Since it is shortish and even a bad drive should get to the bottom, this one could be left tight to reward the "pure" drives. With all these downhillers, there has got to be some steep hikes somewhere on this course!
17-Looks like a very tough drive with that hedge tree on the left. Side hill holes are great and far too few.
18-Open through the field, but with trees near the basket? Gotta keep some kind of surprise for the end. I once played a course in Bella Vista, Arkansas. Great wooded course, but the last hole was wide open (except for a very dangerous green next to a walking path) and 900'. Kinda ruined the course, but they had to get it back to the parking lot, which seems to be the case here too.

I know, just looking a pics, I have no idea what is really going on here. Some things I would keep in mind with pin placements, clearing.

-On the more open holes, getting the right distance is more critical. Try to stay out of the 3.2-3.4 scoring average zone. These are hole too long to bird and frustrating to bogey. Looks like most of the holes have plenty of woods though! And good distance variety is great. Nothing wrong with some really short placements on some of those crazy wooded holes.
-Clearing that place has got to be a ton of work! The closer to the tee, the more critical it is the right cuts are made. Since the tees are already poured, there's no 2nd chances. Something else to keep in mind, when you have holes that are just insane with trees in the fairway, it is usually too much to have both a pinball fairway AND no ceiling. So if the hole is supposed to be really tight, but the ceiling could be raised, players will enjoy it a lot more. And courses that have tons of trees usually force low shots predominantly. Having some high routes would be cool.
-What's awesome about this great land is what you can do with carving out fairway options. Different fairway shapes strategically placed or dual routes can be very cool. Think par 4! You won't get too many chances for designing dog legs or other 2 shot holes in Kansas. What a course.

carlbren21

Postby carlbren21 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:13 pm

[/color]
Schoen-hopper wrote:Nice Bren! Looked through the pics and saw you have a map there. Thanks for posting.

Still sounds crazy that the pads went in before the course is cleared out. But at least you know you have them! How the heck did they get in there to pour these?! I saw a bullet shaped pad like these once that had a fault line where the semi-circle started. This helped keep people from running off the end of the pad (erosion issue).

They had to put the pads in now because the corps got a large Obama grant that they either had to use, or it would go to waste... hence pads before anything else. I was surprised too when they said they were already in. They cleared paths through the trees so they could get a frontloader through the trees. These were supposed to be mor like a snowcone shape to allow people to throw at different angles but came out a little different. Still very nice pads. We were scared for a bit, because the ranger that has spearheaded the project almost got transferred and that would have killed the project. Glad he didn't!

Would love to hear some more details as they come. Winter will be a good time for clearing out the rest of the course. Here's what I see from the pics.

1-Looks like a between the tree stands or maybe over the top. Around 350'?
This hole is fairly straight but will require an accurate tee shot... between 300-350 depending on placement.
2-Low ceiling. If this is also 350, it will be tough to throw far that low.
The key here will be entering the trees at the right spot otherwise it will be layup for 3.
3-The uphill dog leg left. Due to the uphill and length, it looks like going to far won't be an issue off the tee. It will be keeping the shot straight through enough of the flight. Is there a way to cut out 2 routes going to the pin? Like a group of trees that you can short cut (should be more difficult) if your drive lands a little short?
This is definately a possibility that we could look at down the road but getting this course seet up to start with is going to require so muih clearing that making one path onthis one for now will probably be all we will do. I do like that idea though.
4-Tons of trees! Hehe, that's all I can see. Almost looks like hole 1 at Ted's Dread.
There is actually a anhyser path that just isn't visible with the picture.
5-Wow, what a killer hole! Couldn't tell much after the downhill shot through the tunnel. What is it, about 400' through and 400' more?
That is a close approximate. This hole for sure is one of the coolest out there. straight drves that reach the bottom of the hill without goiing right or left intot he trees is a good shot.
6-Uphill into a pocket, this looks like a classic birdie/bogey hole. Got to be accurate.
7-Looks like a Rosedale down under valley hole. Which trees get cut will make a big difference on how it plays. Assuming some of those just to the right of the pad will go.
This hole, like 4, already has a hyzer gap and doesn't need a whole lot more clearing really likely will clear a little bit though just to make it a little larger of a gap....
8-Tree hell! Looks like it opens up 3/4 down the fairway. Could make a narrow straight gap, and a wider righty hyzer lane that plays over the more uphill & difficult if you hit a tree.
This one really hasn't been cleared yet at all but will make a nny line I believe.
9-Man, this looks like a beauty. Nice view. The way the trees are cut out (looks like not too much needed) will define the character. As downhill as it is, a low route will be needed. Maybe a low anny and sky hyzer? Cool that 9 loops you back to the parking lot. On a long hiker of a course, that's a good thing.
U got it. Not a whole lot neede. Will require an accurate drive to get it to the clearing then another 150 more. Will be a very nice hole. Yes we made sure people could play nine only if wanted to since it is right by a campground. Very cool hole though.
10-Basket outside trees with room for an alt deeper inside the trees? One tree in the middle could be well placed.
There could be a hole placed in the trees but not too much longer as this is where a teepad and another baasket will be... close to this anyway.
11- Couldn't tell. Uphill at 400' sounds like a par 3.5.
Yup
12- This one says 2 perfect RHBH anny's to get a 3. Looks tight. The map looks like this better describes hole 13, so one of these is missing. Long walk between 12 & 13?
The map was the original walk through and hasn't been revised. Doesn't accurately show the hole. Just good enough of a map to get people to make their way around if they want to go walk it now.
14-Going over a slice of the pond sounds cool. More risk/reward than shooting straight over. Like you said though, this one needs cleared. You can't see anything. Hard to imagine just getting out of the woods, let alone driving over the water. Or maybe this one just approaches from the inland side?
Just like us said... it needs clearing... after done won't be REAL hard to get ovver the pond. Wil be a really cool hole though and birdiable.
15-Downhill over the pond. This could be one of the most scenic holes in Kansas. Water in play on the short, very fun bombing drive for the long.
Between this hole and 5... not sure which is my fav.
16-Very reachable downhill. Since it is shortish and even a bad drive should get to the bottom, this one could be left tight to reward the "pure" drives. With all these downhillers, there has got to be some steep hikes somewhere on this course!
Hole 3 shoot up the hill... hole 6 up the hill... hole 11 up the hill... ... hole 7 down then up,.. 13 up the hill... 14 down then up... I think there is only 1-2 places that you will need to walk up a hill to the next tee.
17-Looks like a very tough drive with that hedge tree on the left. Side hill holes are great and far too few.
This one is cool and will require a very accurate drive to hug the right side on the tree line... reighty tendedncy will be to miss left here pretty bad... then flirt with some more trees of course.
18-Open through the field, but with trees near the basket? Gotta keep some kind of surprise for the end. I once played a course in Bella Vista, Arkansas. Great wooded course, but the last hole was wide open (except for a very dangerous green next to a walking path) and 900'. Kinda ruined the course, but they had to get it back to the parking lot, which seems to be the case here too.
There is actually trees that you will need to contend with off the tee. It isn't as wide open as my picture shows. I need to go get some better pics of some of the holes. It is hard to get in a picture the gaps on some of the holes with all the trees in the background.

I know, just looking a pics, I have no idea what is really going on here. Some things I would keep in mind with pin placements, clearing.

-On the more open holes, getting the right distance is more critical. Try to stay out of the 3.2-3.4 scoring average zone. These are hole too long to bird and frustrating to bogey. Looks like most of the holes have plenty of woods though! And good distance variety is great. Nothing wrong with some really short placements on some of those crazy wooded holes.
We should have multiple placements on nearly every hole with some of those more heavily woooded ones being a little shorter.
-Clearing that place has got to be a ton of work! The closer to the tee, the more critical it is the right cuts are made. Since the tees are already poured, there's no 2nd chances. Something else to keep in mind, when you have holes that are just insane with trees in the fairway, it is usually too much to have both a pinball fairway AND no ceiling. So if the hole is supposed to be really tight, but the ceiling could be raised, players will enjoy it a lot more. And courses that have tons of trees usually force low shots predominantly. Having some high routes would be cool.
We';ll keep this in mind. I can t4ell you we have a good two solid days with 10-12 people out there to fully clear this place out, but from where it was when it started... AMAZING. These guys have done a lot of work and dumped a LOT of money into this place. Kind of crazy really... wish we could get the county here to be this open about pouring moneyi into a course! When said and done though, will be a real fun weekend place to camp, boat, and disc golf!... oh ya... bar right across the street!!
-What's awesome about this great land is what you can do with carving out fairway options. Different fairway shapes strategically placed or dual routes can be very cool. Think par 4! You won't get too many chances for designing dog legs or other 2 shot holes in Kansas. What a course.
Most of these holes.. at least ten of them... will have par 4, or par 3 options. That is whatI really like about it. We could set it up as a par 57ish, up to a par 62+ I will post mor updates as I get them.

carlbren21

Postby carlbren21 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:18 pm

We have a work days coming up for the Perry Disc Golf course the following dates....

This Saturday Dec 5th 10am
Jan. 9th 10am
Feb 6th 10am

Of course these are all weather permitting. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Looks like we shoud be able to get this course up and running by this spring if all goes well. The corps already has all the equipment (baskets, benches, signs, trash cans, etc...) we just need to prep everything. Hoping to have an early spring tourney as a course opening. Will post dates as I know more.

Please contact me if you are available for any of these work days
785-608-8688
Thanks

carlbren21

Postby carlbren21 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Been meaning to post this for awhile now but haven't had time. I met with the park ranger at perry last friday and thought we would walk through the entire course and get hole placements finalized. Well, he ended up getting the sleeves and go ahead to do 3 placements per hole so we only got through the front nine. He showed me the baskets (mach 3 powder coated), benches (16 of them) like the ones at lees summit, trash cans, tee signs, culverts for the ditches, bridges that have been built, and the planks for the bridges that haven't been built. I know I've already said this, but they aren't sparing any expense on this thing which is AWESOME. The equipment is there to be installed the instant everything is complete and ready.

Originally, I was planning on getting the entire front side cleared for the main placements.... well... adding the additional placements slowed things down, but with good reason. We got the first 5 holes completely cleared and ready for pins to be set. Should easily be able to get the front nine completed with our next work day on the 19th. We can then focus on the backside which will take a couple more work days. After the majority of the work is done, we will be looking for individuals to adopt holes (their names will be on the tee sign on that hole).

For a non disc golfer, Kyle, the ranger out there in charge of this has extreme desire to get this thing not just done... but done RIGHT! He is trying to get the go ahead for putting in an asphalt parking lot (which 80000X better than we have at lake shawnee!), bathroom by the parking lot, and split rail fence along holes 17 and 18 and around the parking lot. So far he has gotten eveything that he has requested so my hopes are high.

We are looking at getting the middle poles of the basket and poles for placements powder coated neon aroange or yellow. If anyone has any connections that might be able to do this in a high quality fashion at a reasonable price, please let me know.

As far as the course, it can be set up as a par 54 in all short placements, or in all long placements could play up to a par 67. Not just a bunch of long holes.... very technical. All holes will have the capability of playing a par 3 and most have the capability of playing a par 4 and even par 5. When this course is completely done, it will no doubt be one of the very best courses throughout the midwest and be a wonderful pro style course. I will post more pictures of the equipment the guy showed me in the photobucket page linked above.

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:12 am

With my past expierieance of getting bike parts powder coated I know that most places have a minamum for each job. So it is best to get the whole job done at once as the cost of doing powder coat isnt that much but the minumum is high. For me I had a job of getting spokes and rimes one on a bike for the minumum of 50 bucks . yet a next bike i had the same thing done at the same place in Indiana but also had risers. Ape bars and all of my pegs (rider passenger and hyway) done also total was only 75. get them all done at once if you can i have a feeling it will save you money in the long run.

Oh also wanted to add that I don't know of any place around here or there where your at but the best way to find out is ask any local CUSTOM bike shop where they go. They will know the best one around.
Chain smoker

carlbren21

Postby carlbren21 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks man. I have a couple people working on quotes for me. I was told the same thing... the setup is the main cost.

Weather permitting we have another work day scheduled for this saturday the 19th. We are going to be meeting at Longview Park at perry around 10am to start work. We should be able to finish (within 90%) the clearing for 3 placements on each hole for the entire front side and maybe even move one to the back side. If you are interested in helping out, or just want to come take a loot at the course give me a call

Bren 785-608-8688

During our last work day, we determined that we would get every hole within 90-95% cleared and have people adopt holes to finish the clearing and continued maintenance 1-2 times a year. You would get your name on that tee sign for the hole. If you are interested let me know.

Ryan Orton

Postby Ryan Orton » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Awesome course! I'm thinking the best I've ever seen or played so far from the couple work days I have been to. Lots of trees, elevation, and variety of shots to be used on every hole... prolly get to use my thumber A LOT!! :D
I will adopt one of the holes right now... I'll just take number 9 since we worked on it quite a bit last time and it's a sweet downhill wooded hole I'll get to use a thumber on!

CHAS.

Postby CHAS. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Ended up down that way today gates were locked I have not been keeping on this thread but is this course on the same road b y a little tavern called ( The Grainery) or I am on the wrong road?

Ranger KB

Postby Ranger KB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

CHAS, you were very close to the course. If you continue south on the road past the Grainery Saloon it would take you by the course. The course is pretty large. It spans from the road where the gate was to about 1/2 mile south on the road that goes by the Grainery. The course traverses that meadow West of the Road, all over that wooded hillside, and on top the ridge. That campground opens May 1st, and the upper part of the course can be accessed from there. You should be able to see some tee pads in the lower meadow from the road. Let me know if you have any more questions about the course. My contact info. is as follows:

Kyle Broockerd
USACE PARK RANGER
785-215-4216
kyle.j.broockerd@usace.army.mil

PETRIE

Postby PETRIE » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm

I am familiar with the intersection of Ferguson Road & Hwy 24, but I've never driven north on it towards the location of this course.

For those of us who find disc golf courses with the assistance of a GPS unit, could someone post an address for this course, or the closest named street intersection?
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

Ranger KB

Postby Ranger KB » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:45 am

86th street and Hamilton Road is the nearest named intersection. Most of the roads within the government boundary line have no official name. Heading north from the intersection of Hwy 24 and Ferguson Rd, turn west on 86th st. from Ferguson. 86th will curve to the south and be renamed to Hamilton Road. If you stay on Hamilton until you pass the Grainery Saloon, the course will be on your right.

PETRIE

Postby PETRIE » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks. I can't wait to see the course. I go back home a lot more in the summer, so I'm sure I'll be checking out this course very soon.

PETRIE

Postby PETRIE » Sun May 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Bren,
I just now looked through that 50+ photo album that you linked above. I can't wait to see these baskets in person.

Return to “Disc Golf Discussion”