Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Flashing Question

General Disc Golf Chatter
jtkustomizer

Flashing Question

Post by jtkustomizer »

There was a discussion at league last night about whether it was legal on not to remove the flashing off of a disc by sanding and or cutting it off carefully with a razor blade.

How do you interperet this rule...802.01 Discs Used in Play

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

I believe that it is legal to remove the flashing because it comes from where the different pieces of each mold meet and it is not intended to be on each disc as it is molded
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!
nastyNate

Re: Flashing Question

Post by nastyNate »

it is allowable to do a little light sanding to an imperfection. if u r trying to modify the disc (i.e. remove the bead) to change the flight characteristic is where this is illegal
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

I am talking about the very slight bump on the bottom edge of the rim some molds are worse than others. Its smaller than a millimeter I will try and mic one later this week to get a rough estimate on the amount being trimmed
...Its your Choice
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

I always remove any flashing on my discs . some drivers will have it on the edge. mids and putter usually on the botom of the rim. I also cant stand the little bit of flashing on the center of the bottom where the disc would spin on your finger. i spin my discs after a dye job and notice it then and thats when i remove it. they are production imperfections in my opinion and don't belong on the disc because they are not intended to be part of the disc.
Chain smoker
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Like Nate said, if it's not supposed to be there, you can remove it. The flashing is simply part of the injection molding process that wasn't trimmed all the way off. There is no magic "amount" that makes legal or illegal to trim. Also, if your disc gets road rash, or some big nicks in it, It's okay repair that damage, as long as you don't cut more than necessary to fix it.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

If my disc gets a cut in it from hitting the nickel or some other sharp object . i found that taking a lighter and melting the plastic just enogh to stick the two pieces back to gether works really well. that way your not cutting any thing off. as far as road rash i also use a lighter and then roll the edge of the disc on a smooth surface before i will take sand paper to the disc. try it it works.
Chain smoker
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

disclizard wrote:If my disc gets a cut in it from hitting the nickel or some other sharp object . i found that taking a lighter and melting the plastic just enogh to stick the two pieces back to gether works really well. that way your not cutting any thing off. as far as road rash i also use a lighter and then roll the edge of the disc on a smooth surface before i will take sand paper to the disc. try it it works.

That only works if you smoke happy grass :D :D
...Its your Choice
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

no i find that when i smoke happy grass i tend to over melt the disc while trying to take a hit off the other side. ..
By the way the torch lighters work best just dont "touch" the flame to the disc. then you really will melt it to much.
Chain smoker
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

A little history lesson..........Back in the day the DGA repleased a series of innova molds like vipers and whippets that were "factored". There were various numbers on these factored discs such as 1 thru 5 (in roman numerals) depending on when they were released and so on. Basically these discs were altered from their factory state. If you look at any unaltered vipers or whippets you can see a bead on the bottom edge. When the DGA would "factor" these discs they basically sanded that bead off. It must have taken a huge belt sander or something to accoplish this because of the ones i own the precision of the sanding was actually pretty good. I do know one thing there are not very many "DGA Factored" discs running around.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Sandman- Someone gave me a 1991 World disc that was yours. It's beat and has a tear in it, but I thought you might want it back because its so old.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

sweet yea ill take it!