Favorite Nebraska Course?

General Disc Golf Chatter
SmoothDrawOS

Favorite Nebraska Course?

Postby SmoothDrawOS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 pm

I am taking off for Omaha, NE early in the morning and was wondering if anyone knows of any great courses along the way. I am going through Topeka then up 75.

smitty

Re: Favorite Nebraska Course?

Postby smitty » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Treasure Cove is pretty cool from what I hear.

http://www.pdga.com/course_directory/co ... e-cove-dgc

It is basically in Omaha and may be worth a visit.

SmoothDrawOS

Postby SmoothDrawOS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks smitty!

scarpfish

Postby scarpfish » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Thumbs up on Treasure Cove, even though it is in Iowa. Actually, a disc course being in Iowa is usually a good cred to have. :D

The really good Nebraska courses aren't in Omaha or Lincoln, they're in smaller towns spread around the state. Beatrice, Norfolk, Kearney, & McCook. I just had a C-tier up in Norfolk last weekend. Our Sunday course was at a challenging wooded course similar to Thomas in Salina. Unfortunately flood waters overtook it the very next day. We literally got out of there just hours before it was inundated.

Before
After

About the only other courses along 75 are Seymour Smith Park. Nothing spectacular nor sucky, but it does get crowded with rec players, so get there early. There is also a 9 holer in Plattsmouth, NE, just south of Omaha. I don't know much about it.

Its a bit of a veer from 75, but I would highly recommend the Beatrice course. Good length (although the pins were all set short when I was there Tuesday). Three tee boxes.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:17 pm

WOW!

They may never get that placed cleaned up.

Fagan

Postby Fagan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

Treasure Cove was a great course. They have a little bit of everything: elevation, length, tight, open, OB, and a hanging basket. They have three tees per hole (Pro, Adv, and intermediate). I would suggest if you are ever in the area make sure you play this course. The only drawback on the course would be the lack of signs on some of the holes as well as a weed called Stinging Nettle. If you touch this weed, as I found out the wrong way TWICE, you get an immediate intense burning sensation that last about 10 minutes.

Todd Todd Fagan Fagan

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:52 am

I hear that if you rub some Mud on that, it will sooth the burn pretty quick.

rlangton

Postby rlangton » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree with the comments about treasure cove. Fun course. Some very long and difficult holes, especially if you play the soy fields as OB (which we did, there was a combine harvesting while we were playing the course!) I know what you mean about the stinging nettle.. I threw off my target on a corridor shot (hole 16 or 17?) which went way back in the rough. By the time I had retrieved my disc my legs were killing me! It felt like it last 30 minutes!

PETRIE

Postby PETRIE » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:43 pm

If you know me, you know I can't help posting some photos.

These are photos of Langton with his favorite John Deere combine as it cuts soy beans on the north side of Iowa Western CC (Treasure Cove DG Course).
This course is in Council Blufs, IA, which is the east side of Omaha, NE (kind of like KCK & KCMo).

You've gotta go, even if it's just to play the fairway with the hanging basket!

Here it it's address --> 2700 College Rd. Council Bluffs, IA 51503
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

PETRIE

Postby PETRIE » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Awe heck, I just now looked at when he posted this question. So that means he could be back from now.

Nonetheless, I highly suggest anyone give the Iowa Western CC disc golf course a try. It truly is a treasure cove of disc golf.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

Return to “Disc Golf Discussion”