Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Kansas Courses

General Disc Golf Chatter
mrsenortyler

Re: Kansas Courses

Post by mrsenortyler »

Schoen-hopper wrote:I tried to play the Manhattan campus course once. Couldn't find any tees or any targets. There aren't any. Just designated places to throw from and to that are written down somewhere. Not really a course in my opinion.

If you ever make it back Mike, here you go....

http://www.k-state.edu/ultimate/ksu_disk_golf.pdf
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I'm not going to mince my words here. It is my opinion that the KSU Campus and CiCo Park courses should be REMOVED from all official course listings. They are by no means destination courses! They only discredit our sport!

I wouldn't want a visitor planning a trip Manhattan to have the impression that they can go have a modern disc golf experience on K-State's campus or at CiCo Park. At one point in time, say 15-20 years ago, those two might have been considered courses because the equipment & maintenance standards for a "course" was pretty low at that time. However the standard is much higher now and we do have three "real" courses that live up to those standards (two of them being less than 2 years old).

Regarding who still plays the KSU Campus & CiCo Park courses...
- K-State: I think the only people playing the campus object course (if you can even call it that anymore) are students and employees that are already on campus for other reasons. For example, (1) students who live on campus in the dorms without a car or motivation to go get in their car and drive to a real course, (2) students that take one disc with them and "play their way" to & from home/their car from class. In addition, a couple years ago the K-State administration decided to "ban" disc golf on campus during week day classes (until evening hours). I never play it, nor do hardly any other disc golfers I know.
- CiCo Park: (which stands for City / County park) I don't know of anybody that still plays it. The K-State students, Joey C. & Lucas M., that started the push in 2008 to build an off campus course, originally approached Riley County to install the needed equipment for a "real course" in CiCo Park. To make a long story short, Riley County Officials said NO to the idea of that in CiCO Park and pointed them to Fairmont Park. Joey C. & Lucas M. graduated before they could see it through, but thanks to Jake T & his posse, Fairmont Park eventually got baskets in 2009. So, considering Riley County said NO to that project in CiCo Park, I don't think it should be listed as a disc golf course at all.

If you know anyone coming to Manhattan, tell them to play Warner, Fairmont & River Pond.... and to just ignore the "dying and/or dead" CiCo and K-State Campus object courses.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

Chucker9

Post by Chucker9 »

Senoir Tyler, I know you are talking to Mike Schon, and the map is cool and good to have. These object courses can be fun, but are rarely played and usually only by locals wanting something different without leaving there hometown. I know I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out CICO park. I went there because is was listed as a course and was let down and fustrated when I tried playing it. I have a map of the WSU object coarse (thanks Iqbal), but it is so old that alot of building have changed and some of the targets are gone. Object coarses are so hard to keep up with that I personally don't think they should be in the course directory.

When I tried to post this, Rick had just posted his thoughts. I agree and thanks for letting us know.Rick
God,Family,Discgolf,DenverBroncos,Sooners...Says it all for me.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Chucker9 wrote: Object coarses are so hard to keep up with that I personally don't think they should be in the course directory.
You're halfway there!

I wasn't saying the KSU Campus course should, or should not be listed. I was just showing the map in case someone did want to try and play it sometime. The map is outdated, some of the buildings are gone, and a couple of holes were moved anyway.
rlangton

Post by rlangton »

mrsenortyler wrote:
Chucker9 wrote: Object coarses are so hard to keep up with that I personally don't think they should be in the course directory.
I wasn't saying the KSU Campus course should, or should not be listed. I was just showing the map in case someone did want to try and play it sometime. The map is outdated, some of the buildings are gone, and a couple of holes were moved anyway.
I think if anyone is considering playing KSU campus they should be discouraged to do so in favor of the much better options now available in Manhattan. I used to play CiCo and KSU courses long before even Tuttle course was up, and quit playing them once it was.. they should definitely be retired (IE removed from every official list and website) now there are 2 more REAL courses in Manhattan! I agree with everything Rick said.

That said, CiCo would still be an excellent location for Manhattan's 4th course :)
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

mrsenortyler, that is the best course map I've ever seen of the K-State campus course. It almost makes it look like it's a sophisticated and enjoyable course to play.

Plus, it is kind of troubling that the URL looks like it's posted on the K-State Ultimate Disc club web site. Leave it to those Ultimate guys to post something about our sport... the people I know who play Ultimate don't exactly play Disc Golf often enough to hardly know where Manhattan's disc golf courses are located.

Ryan, you are right there's plenty of room at CiCo for a decent course. However I don't think it's going to happen for a long time, if ever. :?

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

rlangton,
I didn't mean that you should not post the map for the KSU course. Some people are going to try to play it no matter what we say on this site, so it's a good thing you've provided them with a map (b/c they sure are going to need it :shock: )

b

Post by b »

I played Peabody yesterday evening. That was the best 9 holer I've seen anywhere in Kansas. Well maintained park with large trees perfect for disc golf. Excellent layout. New mach 5s, grass tees (unplayed, so no worn spots), and 6 ft. tee posts with numbers on all four sides. No nickels but hole nos. on center post. A quick drive thru the park will give you a general layout. Parking west of pool on Division st. 1st tee at west end of lot by pavillion. Park is at southwest corner of Peabody. 40 miles from home, closer than Winfield.

Hole 1: 385(est) straight 25 ft fairway. OB fence entire right side.
2: 325 low ceiling. OB road left (not big hazard), lg. bush left of pin.
3: 410 Many lg trees OB road rt.
4: 275 LEFTY narrow gap 100 ft off tee, small creek 30 ft rt of pin and rt side of fairway.
5: 200 ft Ace run. No trees except limb 15 ft up in front of tee. OB road 50 ft. rt.
6: 285 slight uphill rt hand anny or easy forehand. Trouble on right side of hole halfway up.
7: 400 Pin set between big trees and ground slopes down immediately behind and left of pin to OB rd 30 ft. away.
8: 375 One big tree 50 ft in front of pin. Large paved horseshoe area 300 ft off tee on left of fairway (OB?).
9: 400 slight downhill open first 300 ft. Only hole wind is a factor. OB road left of pin 30 ft.
smitty

Post by smitty »

b wrote:I played Peabody yesterday evening. That was the best 9 holer I've seen anywhere in Kansas.
Glad you liked it Buddy. Rusco and I designed it early this summer. The Rec. commission in Peabody also now has 6 baskets for their school system and starter packs for the kids.

Little known fact:

The road you use in the park is exactly 1/2 mile and use to be a Horse Track.
sweetphil

Post by sweetphil »

sweet phil from sugarhill
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Which road is the old horse track?
b

Post by b »

Hey, I was only off by 50 ft on most holes. Sure seemed like 9 was longer. I knew whoever layed it out knew what they were doing. I asumed the OBs, including the horseshoe pit, were correct.
FYI, there was a no alcohol sign by the parking lot at 1st tee.
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Awesome. That should fill in the gap between Newton and Emporia a bit.
smitty

Post by smitty »

mrsenortyler wrote:Which road is the old horse track?
The one that goes around the entire course.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Ah.