USDGC going to alternating year schedule

General Disc Golf Chatter
scarpfish

USDGC going to alternating year schedule

Postby scarpfish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Looks that way folks. I hope our state rep enjoys the trip this year, because it looks like the next one isn't going to be until 2012.

http://www.usdgc.com/08/26/usdgc-news-release

I kind of wonder what this is going to mean for USDGC qualifier events next year?

_dm4

Re: USDGC going to alternating year schedule

Postby _dm4 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Not a good idea, in my opinion...

ronconversjr

Postby ronconversjr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm

So What! :shock:
Last edited by ronconversjr on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:36 pm

The year Nate Doss won, it looked going into the last rounds that he might win. The payout for first was significantly less than the year prior when and Innova team member had won.

Last year, it looked like Feldberg was going to win, so the payout for first was projected higher again. Nikko ended up with the win, but payouts had already been figured. Pretty fishy! 8)

Fagan

Postby Fagan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:29 pm

I have a feeling that the payouts are set well before the winner takes his last putt. If not then that is very shady. I am speaking solely as a spectator and not a player on this issue because I have not been fortunate enough nor am I good enough to play in the USDGC. It has been very fun to watch the coverage of the USDGC over the last few years. They, by far, have the best coverage of any event out there. The World Championships of our sport can’t even compare to the coverage of the USDGC. I am talking about the live video, daily pictures, DOT technology and write ups. I tried to watch the live video from the Vibram Open but their video quality was very subpar. I would get a clip of video about every 15 seconds and the chances for the sound to work during those clips were slim. So as a spectator watching from my computer in Wichita the USDGC event was covered much better. Ron, I am sorry to hear about the treatment of players that are not sponsored by Innova. It’s crazy to hear that their photographers have to pay more than any other photographer. I would like to hear what other Discraft players think of the event. This quote is from Doss off his sponsor page “I have won many tournaments out there, including two World Championships, but.... when I won the USDGC, I had done something that in my mind was amazing. The USDGC is a true test of your skills physically and mentally. I will never forget it!!!!”. I hope for our sake that someone else will start a tournament that will be covered as well as the USDGC and treat the players equally regardless of who they are sponsored by. Maybe Discraft should see if they can match what Innova has done with the USDGC.

TO Double

R/B

Postby R/B » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

For me the USDGC has always been about the caliber of player it draws. Who cares what plastic they throw, what gets my eye is their game. ultimately its the premier golf tournament that anyone should be thankful for the privilege to play in. I,ve watched all the tape, and appreciate the familiarity with the players and the course. All companies use marketing tools to promote their product, and if it works and it becomes successful it,s going to get some negative feedback. If Innova started it then it,s their ride. If Discraft had a equal Tournament in stature I would be just as much a fan. ( by the way I throw Discraft and Innova ) If you waxed your 57 chevy you wouldnt want anyone else getting credit. You wouldn,t give your rights to someone else. I understand , Players who are sponsored , can only throw their companies plastic . I,m glad there is such a thing as sponsorship, it indicates professionalism, however players who are not sponsored and throw only one companies product are only hurting their game.
Be thankful for a venue that stirs up the desire to want to play, to want to be like EMAC, Rico,Cimo,Doss,Jenkins . Discraft and Innova players . Nobodys getting rich at this,so all we have is each other. Those in charge are in charge for a reason, respect their decision.

ronconversjr

Postby ronconversjr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:56 pm

As I said, the tourney is a good one. Let me qualify this. It's good because of the players in attendance. More and more, other tourneys are stepping up the quality to a level surpassing that reached by USDGC. I don't feel that this alternating year schedule DEBATE is anything but more marketing hype. As far as visual media....well, the Vibram's live stuff was rough. However they didn't spend the money that ....the PDGA spent on Innova's tourney. Just the truck and uplink with cameras in fixed positions was several hundred thou...Steve Dodge used mobile cameras, which could follow the leadergroups and while the film quality was grainy, you actually got to see all the holes and the live action, not just a few. The camera crew were all volunteer staff, though several had tons of filming experience. While the Vibram did pound their own drum some, they also gave equal time to other manufacturers willing to help sponsor the event. All players that made the trip were treated like royalty, not just a select few. The course was a rougher, more natural course, which typified a disc golf course ...without the need for yellow rope. This was not ball golf's manicured greens, but more the mowed fairways and natural rough you would see at a pay to play Disc Golf course. The shotmaking was amazing. Every single shot you stepped up to was a pucker shot! I'm sure that the DVD will be great quality as all the previous DVD's put out with this event in past years have been top shelf.
Last edited by ronconversjr on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.DynamicDiscs.com

R/B

Postby R/B » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:20 pm

I,m a bit green when it comes to the knowledge of what makes the machine work. I respect your wisdom Ron towards Disc Golf on all levels, Lord knows you have a leading edge in your play and also in your clock work upstairs. I,m more of the soul stiring type that cares for the people at a grass roots level. I know when moneys involved the politics come out. Larger purses bring top notch players and a window for us common folk to see how it,s really done via the media. There is always so much work, and sacrifice that goes unseen by the curious viewer. My stance is for the appreciation of what they have given me and those like me. Someone who will probably never have that chance to play in such a prestigious event, but to be satisfied living vicariously at the event through those who we have been in touch with ( including yourself ). I know the more people involved the more mess,the greater need for rules and control. There has always been power in the people, and if the treatment has been unfair to other manufacturers , then the players who are represented by those manufacturers should boycott , then other results would perhaps surface. The PDGA is made up of all of us , but we need a voice..............
Go Ronnie...........Go Ronnie............be our Martyr.......... ( said while doing "the Cabbage Patch" )
Last edited by R/B on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ronconversjr

Postby ronconversjr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 pm

LOL! We'll talk about this more when I come up to play your Superclass event.
www.DynamicDiscs.com

Mace Man

Postby Mace Man » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Well I will chime in on this from somewhat being an insider from the championship. I missed some of the posts that have been deleted so I can only assume what is still on the forum and my knowledge. On the payout issue three years ago you should also look at the economy and not just what team the players are on. Three years ago sponsorship money from businesses flowed a lot more than the past few years for all tournaments including the USDGC. The past two years JP has requested that we send him the previous days pro shop sales so he can put as much as possible to the payout due to not as much sponsorship money being there in the past. Trust me he wants to put on the biggest best show as possible.

It’s crazy to hear that their photographers have to pay more than any other photographer. I'm not sure what the original quote this came from but if another company wants to come and take photos and video's of their players for on going promotional use why should they pay more than a paper or a magazine???

As far as treatment of different players there has never been a directive to treat any players different than others. Almost all of the workers that are in the main positions there are Innova employees and because of that they have talked to the team players or been around them more than the other players so maybe they feel they are on more of a friend level and might be treated different but I'm sure it's not just because of what the player throws...

iqbal

Postby iqbal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Quoting Ben Botte from pdga.com,

From facebook from Jonathan Poole.

"The USDGC will definitely return to Winthrop in 2011. Our plan has evolved quite a bit since that initial press release which is causing plenty of confusion. I apologize (to everyone) for that. Next year the USDGC will be a handicap-based event. Same course. Same experience. New format. Qualifying will also be handicap-based, enabling a much broader group of people to qualify. We are working on several updates for usdgc.com that present all of the details confirmed so far. J.Poole"

Sounds cool but I don't see the post on his facebook page anymore.

Ruder

Postby Ruder » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

Hello 10 hour rounds

The fastest way to make your event less prestigious is to let me into it
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Return to “Disc Golf Discussion”