Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Big Hill Lake Cherryvale Overlook Disc Golf Courses

General Disc Golf Chatter
holsinger

Big Hill Lake Cherryvale Overlook Disc Golf Courses

Post by holsinger »

Just thought I'd share that we are on the docket for the Parsons City Commission Meeting on April 7th at 6pm at the Parsons Municipal Building in the City Commission Room. This meeting will be the final step in getting not one, but two, permanent 18 hole disc golf courses out at Big Hill Lake around the Cherryvale Overlook area. Labette County Tourism is already on board and fully behind this project. If all goes the way we hope, we should have one of the courses up and going sometime in June with the other 18 hole course to follow. If any of you are in the area and would like to show your support, that would be fantastic. We are looking to have a strong showing of disc golfers in attendance. Thanks.
holsinger

Re: Big Hill Lake Cherryvale Overlook Disc Golf Courses

Post by holsinger »

Funding approved. Two new 18 hole courses coming to the Southeast Kansas area this summer. Hope to see some if y'all once we get baskets in the ground.
ChainedEvil

Post by ChainedEvil »

Great news, more courses to play in the state is a great thing. What is a rough time table for the completion of this project? Just curious.
Thanks
Craig
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Sweet! Who is designing them? Same area as the big 18 holes used for the annual tourney?
ChainedEvil

Post by ChainedEvil »

Any update on the Big Hill courses? Just curious as I was planning a roadtrip to the SE KS SW MO area for a dg binge and was wanting to play these 2 if I'm in the vicinity allready.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Craig
holsinger

Post by holsinger »

Apologies for not replying sooner. Work has begun on the South course of the Holsinger Disc Golf Complex (named such in memory of my father who helped me run the Brutal Big Hill events). I think we're still a couple of weeks out from getting that completed. The Army Corp of Engineers is doing some of the work on it out there so we're at their mercy as far as a time table. As soon as the South course is complete, we'll begin the work on the North course. All I've got now is a tentative layout from Mike Carson of MD Disc Golf (they're designing the courses). South course will be a little more of a wide open course and the North course will be more of a wooded/technical course.We've tried to incorporate some of the holes on the South course to be just like the ones we've always had set up for our Brutal Big Hill Doubles events. Think the plan is to open the courses up with this year's Brutal Big Hill Doubles and follow that up a month after with a PDGA A Tier (MD Disc Golf is taking care of that one so I don't have much info on it as of yet). I will try to remember to post more updates here as we move along. The Google Earth images I'm showing here are by no means the final layouts, but will give you an idea. They certainly do no justice to the elevation on some of the holes on the South course.
holsinger

Post by holsinger »

Just an update for anyone interested. The South course is still being installed. We've gotten 4 baskets in the ground so far. We've been concentrating on the holes that needed cleanup first so we can knock out the ones in the open later. The number of people volunteering to pitch in to get this course complete is few and far between. Everyone keeps asking "When is it going to be ready to play?" and not "When can I come out there to help?" unfortunately. The Corp of Engineers out there is supposed to be helping with the install as well, but they're just not moving very fast with it. Everything is there. Just need to get the work done. Frustrating. The holes that are in look and play great though. If you've ever played the Brutal Big Hill event, you'll see some things that look familiar and a lot of things that are totally different. I'll update more when there's more to tell. Hope once they're completed (or even just the first one) everyone will come give them a look and tell us what you think. Thanks.
holsinger

Post by holsinger »

Some pics:
You'll be throwing off this dam:
"Grove Alley"
Some more tee locations:
There will be a basket on the top of the other cliff at times...
holsinger

Post by holsinger »

Course is not complete, but there are 18 baskets in the ground. That means it's playable. Here's a rough course map for anyone who would like to make the trip to check it out: