Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Chronology of Kansas courses

General Disc Golf Chatter
disc golf superhero

Re: Chronology of Kansas courses

Post by disc golf superhero »

The skinny shirtless guy T'ing off 15 is Dave Stubbs.
Also saw Ray Gilmore in there. Ray was the first guy to show me his disc. He then explained this thing called frisbee golf.
KevinBabbit

Post by KevinBabbit »

I do believe I saw Dennis Vahsholtz crushing a roller in there. Anyone else want to agree?
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

that was definitely Dennis on 7 or 8 (the long dike hole) and Buddy and Bruce Hudson are playing in the same group.

Post by 2 »

Buddy Kassner, Harvey Barger, bitchen Bob Hergert.....
str8

Post by str8 »

I remember when that evergreen in the middle of hole 4 was that small. Well maybe not that small, but in 94-95, we used to play a "u call it shot" on that hole. If you put it through the picnic table the rest of the group would have to buy you a shot. Amazing to think how much the course has changed over the years!
STEW

Post by STEW »

WELLINGTON
18 Holes
2006/TeePads2007
Chris Smith, Shan Mann, Jeremy Stewart, Jeremy Niblack, and winfield crew that played league here a few times prior to instalation helped design.
"If you don't go for it, you won't make it..."
Downtown James Brown
discunlm

Post by discunlm »

Sorry I don't keep up with this forum very well but better late than never. Now that I am semi retired maybe I can visit more than once or twice a year. I do have some information on a few of the courses that I helped design. Herington was put in with the homemade tire baskets for the Herington Centennial in the summer of 1987. Chataqua Park in Beloit was put in sometime in the early 90's. Scorpions were the rave at the time and I threw one in the river while test throwing one of the holes. It was the same one I made an Ace with the week before at Crestview. So Beloit had to of happened during the first year of the Scorpion and after the Crestview remodel. Dave Roberts might know for sure. Todd Catlin the owner of the Beloit IGA contacted me to design the course and I had Ron Rice and Karen Elder meet me there on a Sunday and together designed a 9 hole course in a afternoon. The original baskets were made by the High School welding class I believe. Then over the years the local club enlarged it and the city sprung for some regular baskets.
Lawrence was designed by myself with some input from Steve Erb, Steve Brennan, Chad Lloyd and I can't remember if Deuce was involved or not. It was installed by the City in 1991 I believe.
The West course in Emporia was designed by Gail Shipman, Scott Rothe, and Scott Davies. Those are the only people that I can recall but there might have been more. I think they might have started with tone poles, then but in tire baskets. I am not sure of the timing but If I can get a hold of Gail I should be able to get a time line down. I think it was sometime between 89-92.
Garden City was designed by Smitty. I have watched one of the 4 Hays videos and can't wait to watch the other three.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

WELLINGTON
18 Holes
2006/TeePads2007
Chris Smith, Shan Mann, Jeremy Stewart, Jeremy Niblack, and winfield crew that played league here a few times prior to instalation helped design.

there are a couple of holes oput there that I designed also . I even still have the airieal map with the trial course layed out on it. and also have a blank airieal map that i was going to use for a sign and course map when finnished. Those maps ran me some bucks but i still have them .
Chain smoker
discunlm

Post by discunlm »

Just a PS on the people involved in the design of the original west course in Emporia. How could I forget Kevin Babbit and Ty Wheeler. If they were around I am sure they had a lot of input into the discussion.
Pudge19am

Post by Pudge19am »

Is there any news of any new courses on the horizon. And what is going on with the Colwich Course. When Will it be back in place. Also I have recently heard some news of a 9 hole course being approved in Clearwater ? I know that one club meeting they talked about an Andover course also. Recently someone told me that all the baskets at the lovebox Course in Wichita have been pulled. Anyone got any info on any of this ?
discscout

Post by discscout »

Clearwater is in the approval stage. Park Board, School Board, Grant board etc. 9 Hole 2 tee/2pin affair with a seperate 4 hole practice/skillshot area on the west end. Monkey Baskets if approved.
Haysville has a 9 holes going in during the spring sometime. Designed to allow for 9 more as use dictates. DGA baskets.
Andover is in the fund raising stage. Not sure which baskets but the two in the running is Monkey and Discraft. Could change. The delay could be good as some of the best land for a disc golf course in this area is just across the fence and belongs to the school. This winter we will take a better look see.
Colwich is redesigned and clean-up has started. The course is flagged with two tees and two pins. long to long is over 6000' and short to short is under 4000'. Can be configured for any level of play. Lots of long tight fairways and a good mix of open shots. Controlled distance will be needed. No creek crossings and promised that it will be kept mowed year around.
Master Dyck

Post by Master Dyck »

Sorry...been away from this website for a long time. Just wanted to let you know that the Moundridge disc golf course was installed on May 5, 2010 by the city of Moundridge, 9 basket course design by Rodney Dyck, Baskets are DGA Mach V baskets with map/sponsorship Tee signs. Each basket has a concrete tee pad. The distances range from 220' to 450' and are all listed as par 3's. The city swimming pool is on park grounds and has restroom availability during summer months. High School is 2 blocks away. There is as least one drinking fountain in the park. (at 2 basket/3&5 tee pads) Baskets 1,3,8 & 9 have elevations. Baskets 1,2,4 & 5 have roads/parking lot OB's. The only water is a creek across the road on #5. (or when it rains a lot the whole lower half of the park floods for 1/2 a day) Note: Jake Schrag gets credit for approaching the Moundridge Chamber of Commerce to get the ball rolling on this project. Thank you Jake!!! Let me know if you need any additional information.