Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Chronology of Kansas courses

General Disc Golf Chatter
Jon

Post by Jon »

There is a course at Camp Quaker Haven 2 miles southeast of Arkansas City. It was installed by me and Bobby Debusk in 2002 with 9 baskets, and in 2003 we added 9 more baskets to make it an 18 holes course. I don't believe it is on the PDGA directory, but it's a great course, and one that not many people do not know about. Just thought I would let you know, so you can add it to the list.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about it.

Jon
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Yeah cessna park that was the name of that place! In fact if you drive by on I-35 you can still see one tone pole still up out there.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Str8 the pdga didnt get turned over to the players till 83 before then it was all Ed Headrick. So somewhere in his records it has which course was installed first i would try e-mailing the dga?
Schoen-hopper

Cessna

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I still play out at Cessna occasionally. Only 3 tonepoles left, but you can mix it up with different tees. The park would actually make a really good temporary tournament layout. Has it all... hills, big trees, forested perimeter and creek, through the woods shots.... good place for a permanent course? I think there is only room for 9 holes, though.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I finally had a chance to go to the course and check. The date on tee #1 in Norton is 1998, but I started playing in 95 or 96 and the course was already there. Not sure how long it had been there before the date that it was officially dedicated (yes they even had a ribbon cutting!), but I will try and find out.
stauf

Post by stauf »

when i first started playing, air capitol had a few tounaments at cessna, we did manage to fit 18 temp holes out there, it's a cool little course. i doubt cessna is used alot. would be great to see 18 machs out there.
W

Post by W »

Brett, I remember playing my first Hays tourney when I was in middle school, which would put that around 1986-88. I believe it was Dusty Herbig that hit the pole below the mid-mark on 5 and it was NOT counted as an ace. You might hit up a dude named Allen Rohr @ the Hays Daily. He runs the press. Try to avoid going in between 12 and 2. He's usually pretty busy then. Tell him Willis sent you....and then run! No, not really. He played in most of those earlies. W.
No....where've you been?
str8

Post by str8 »

Does anyone speak with Dennis V? His names seems to be the most frequent source given for info relating to this topic. I sent him an email, but have received no response. If you speak with him, encourage him to share his knowledge.

Thanks,

Str8
Anita

Post by Anita »

You may want to call Dennis. He doesn't internet/e-mail that much. It's his wife Annetta who runs the disc business and who always responds to my e-mailings.

He has been known to show up to the Friz. Maybe this year.....
str8

Post by str8 »

Anita,

I will make that call. Is it the same number listed in the directory? If not could you let me know what it is?

Thanks,

Str8
discscout

Post by discscout »

This is what I believe to be fact about the subject.
LINDSBORG-I have always believed that Lindsborg was the original basket course in the state installed in 1977. Baskets are in safe keeping. Contact me if need more info.
VALLEY CENTER-The Valley Center course started in 1987 but wasn't playable until early 1988. It started as a 9 hole course but with only three baskets. Expanded to 18 holes (five baskets) in 1995.
WICHITA- The course was originally installed in 1988 (late spring) but due to complaints by local residents was moved in 1989. 9 baskets went to Oak Park and 9 baskets went to Herman Hill. I believe this course was designed by Stan Korth.
Herman Hill-The 18 hole layout was designed by Mark Jennings. It was only 9 holes until the local club raised the funds to complete the layout. There were many minor alterations that took place over the years as need arose, (police station added, etc). A new water treatment plant was completed in 2003 and the park was redesigned by Buddy Kassner and Bill Paulson. The last 9 alternate pin placements are ordered and are due in the ground the fall of 2004. This will make the course with two tees and two pin placements for 18 holes. (see Oak)
Oak-The 9 hole course was designed by Mark Jennings but was changed over the years from a pitch and putt to a more challenging course. In 2001 an 18 hole layout was proposed to the city with various changes to this plan until the final proposal was accepted in late summer 2004. The original baskets from Central Riverside that were moved to Herman will be reunited with those in Oak Park for a complete 18 hole (two tee/one pin) course stretching into North Riverside Park for the completion. The expansion and redesign of Oak was accomplished by Buddy Kassner and Bill Paulson.
WINFIELD- There was a pole course at the one college that shut down besides the one at Southwestern. Harvey Barger can tell the details. About 2001 the couse at Southwestern was moved to vacant land on the east edge of the campus. 9 hole course.
NEWTON- Started in 1999 but completed in 2000. Designed by Buddy Kassner/ Bill Paulson and Gavin Pederson. In 2002, expanded to 24 holes by Gavin Pederson et al.
COLWICH- Started in 2000 but first playable fall 2001. Designed by Bill Paulson / Paul Kear. 9 baskets and 9 objects. Final 9 baskets in 2004. Full time course as of Nov 2004. Prior to this was only open Nov 1 to March 31.
DERBY- 2002 18 holes laid out, designed by Bill Paulson / Marcus Anderson. Only 9 baskets installed. The remainder are planned for spring 2005.
HAYS- There were tournaments before Baskets but they had tone poles. Hit the tone maker or it didn't count.
PITTSBURG- 2003 9 hole course chip and putt in Lincoln Park. I forget his name, radio personality down there but Dennis V. knows.
ROSE HILL- private course that at one time was the longest in the state but is now an easier 10 hole layout. Started in 1988. Baskets added in 1999. Designed by Jeff Priest.
I have more info but am out of time and would have to dig in some old files. Go to the Friz next week because most of the people you need to talk to for info will be there.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I have heard Mark Jennings is involved with the frisbee dog background but is still somewhat active with golf. I heard this guy was the man back in the day. He kinda took the "bull by the horns" in that era. I also heard people had problems with his direction but he got crap done hands down. Clint D. Shelly, Kevin, Dennis, Harv and numerous other old schoolers know a lot about him and have lots of good info from the days gone by it might be a touchy subject tho. This guy will know alot if we ever contact him. He pretty much was the innovator of disc golf in KS at that time.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I talked to Ben Bolt about the Norton course, and he told me he was not sure of the date, but he remembers the Hays tone poles were brought to Norton for a short time before the baskets were in. He can't remember if it was all 18 or just nine, while the baskets were being finished at New Age. He thinks Ron would remember if asked specifically about the Norton date. He also said that there was an object course on the Hays campus before the pole course went in at Frontier. Campus officials gave them a hard time about treading on the grass! He said that they had to get new discs when they started playing at Frontier, and found out they did not float! Ben says the tone poles are much more fair than the baskets. You know when you hit one! Baskets spit, but he did admit, they are easier to hit.
str8

Post by str8 »

I've seen a lot of new names on the forum, just thought I'd see if anyone has any news to contribute.

Str8
discscout

Post by discscout »

Thats right sandman, you didn't know Mark Jennings. Did he get a lot done? Yes and no. He may be credited for the course in Wichita but it was because the timing was right and the city wanted to do what other towns were doing. The city actually contacted me for information because the current PDGA Admin was a good friend and gave them my name. They were originally considering a basket that was very light weight that could be bent with your hands. The last time I heard about Mark, I was playing wolf at veterans park in Arlington and this guy asks if I know this guy from my hometown that moved to Houston. He told me Mark came to town (Dallas) with his K9 for a competition, was in a rented car he thought, left the air conditioning on and the car running because the dog was in there and went in to a convience store for a drink and came out and car with dog was gone- stolen.