Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Fairmont Park Disc Golf Course Update

Manhattan area news and info
JakeT

Fairmont Park Disc Golf Course Update

Post by JakeT »

On June 15, Riley County approved a 9-hole course in Fairmont Park (in Manhattan). The course has been designed and we are seeking hole sponsors to purchase 9 Innova DiscCatcher baskets for the Course. The county is providing nice tee signs. We began fund raising 3 weeks ago and it is going well. We already have 3 confirmed hole sponsors (Schultz Construction, Dara's FastLane, Discsunlimited.net). We have some other probable sponsors, but I am counting no egg before it is hatched. I really think we can have the course installed by the end of August. (We are also adding a few new pin placements at Tuttle).

Once installed, we hope to have some sort of grand opening/tournament, if feasible and not conflicting with another tourney. Possibly we can do this in the fall. A few of us have been discussing putting on a night Disc Golf event either at Tuttle or Fairmont once installed or even having a day/night tourney pairing the two courses.
JakeT

Re: Fairmont Park Disc Golf Course Update

Post by JakeT »

Thanks to tom at Orazem & Scalora Engineering, we now have 9 sponsors. I should be ordering the baskets next week, so the course should be installed within 3 weeks.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

That's a pretty big park. Do you hope to expand to 18 holes in the future? That would be cool. Who is heading up this endeavor? Is it separate from the Warner park guys? You guys are gonna have a bunch of courses to play soon, I wish I still went to school up there!
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Yo Mr. Tyler,
Yes, the short answer is the Fairmont Park and the Warner Park project's are being spear headed by a different core groups of guys. We all know each other and disc together (from time to time), but we're hammerin' away on getting our separate respective projects done.

This is the situation for a couple reasons.
1. Last summer, Mark Kewley and I began our work of getting a DG course built somewhere in the City of Manhattan's park system (eventual Warner Park proeject). That process is going really well, but I won't go into those details right now. Anyway, the part that is relevant to your question is that during this process, at the October 2008 Shunga Tourney, Mark and I became aware of another local DG course project. Mark and I decided to keep working on getting a course in the City's park system, and said we'd help with the "other project" if we had any time. By early spring, it became evident that Mark and I should not be involved in two DG projects, so we decided to step aside from the "other project".

2. The "other project" was being spear headed by Joey Collins & Lucas McGarity, K-State students from Topeka. They had started working with Riley County in 2008 to find a place to build a DG course. I think they initially proposed CiCo Park, but were told to try out Fairmont Park instead. By May, those guys were both seniors about to graduate (move away), but had only got partially through the approval process. Luckily I was able introduce them to Jake, who is another industrious Manhattan disc golfer. Fortunately for all of us, Jake was willing to jump in and pick up the Riley County project when Joey and Lucas graduated and left town. Jake and his posse is doing a great job of whipping the Fairmont DG course into shape.

Have no fear, we're all very familiar with each other and compare notes from time to time. I have every reason to believe that both of our courses will be built and playable by Spring of 2010.
Last edited by PETRIE on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Thanks for the info!
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Chris, while I have your attention, have you recovered from doing that shirtless somersault at the DD Open ring of fire? . . . Smitty pre-approve of that move or was it an audible? :lol:

You sure know how to entertain everyone at a DG Tourney! Keep up the great work.
Last edited by PETRIE on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

JakeT

Post by JakeT »

We installed the new course at Fairmont Park on Friday. Thanks to everyone that helped and Nate Brenner, Bob, Tony, Matt Hart, and Kevin Clark for helping install the baskets on Thursday and Friday.

It is 7 miles North of I-70 from Exit 313 (Manhattan/ KS 177). Take a right on KS18 (before river) then an immediate left on Messenger Rd. The park is 1/2 mile down on the left.

We hope to have some type of tournament out there soon.