Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

1.7?

Disc golf equipment- discs, accessories, targets, etc.
Anakha

Post by Anakha »

smitty wrote:
All I here is Destroyer this, Destroyer that ,it is so fast, blah blah blah. Of all the people who throw the disc maybe 15-20% should be throwing it.
QFT!
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

I think that percantage is too high . :lol: So Does Dave Dunipace!
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

This thread could drift anywhere.

It is insane how many Destroyer have sold since they have come out.

For me, I like the grip much better on the wraith then the destroyer. I have a first run that is similar in stability to a teerex, but the teerex is much more predictable.

For sidearms though, I think the destroyer has a great grip and flight. With the added speed, I can get a little more distance on my sidearm.
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Schoen-hopper wrote:This thread could drift anywhere.

It is insane how many Destroyer have sold since they have come out.

For me, I like the grip much better on the wraith then the destroyer. I have a first run that is similar in stability to a teerex, but the teerex is much more predictable.

For sidearms though, I think the destroyer has a great grip and flight. With the added speed, I can get a little more distance on my sidearm.
Smitty said "Destroyer this, Destroyer that, Blah!Blah!Blah!" I just want to know what type of " rouge" you were talking about :oops:
I really like my Sparkle Rogue it`s got DD`s on it! :lol:
It`s probably about 1.7 or 1.8 :roll:
ALMOST BACK ON TRACK!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

I agree with Smitty! At least Discraft Discs are legal ...rumor has it, most of the Discs in some innova players bags are too heavy.
Anakha

Post by Anakha »

McCabe wrote:I agree with Smitty! At least Discraft Discs are legal ...rumor has it, most of the Discs in some innova players bags are too heavy.
I've seen this too, I used to have a couple of the CFR Wraiths that weighed in at 182 & 186. :shock:
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

I know for the diameter of most discs, the max is 175g, (but of course discs like Jaguar and Condor can weigh more) but is there a determined amount that discs can weigh over their max weight? The only reason why I asked is because the Japan Open has a 150g class limit, but discs can weigh up to 152g. I didn't know if "normal" class discs had this buffer zone too.
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

Why doesnt somebody call these "innova" players with lead discs out to the triple beams and actually weigh their discs.

I would be interested in seeing what all my discs weigh.

What about the disc that are dyed? Somebody should weigh those to see if they have modified their disc to be heavier with the dye.

Lets see if the "RUMORS" are true or not :wink:
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

I really don't think there is much advantage to heavier discs, I don't think I could throw a 195g leopard farther than a 175g or 165g. Wouldn't it make it more "stable"?

I have a kitchen scale I bought to weigh my discs, because sometimes the numbers wear off, like when I buy a used disc. My Whippet weighs 178g, not too bad though.
Anakha

Post by Anakha »

mrsenortyler wrote:I really don't think there is much advantage to heavier discs, I don't think I could throw a 195g leopard farther than a 175g or 165g. Wouldn't it make it more "stable"?
You could most definitely roll it farther though. :wink:
SIPNTHROED

DESTROYERDESTROYED

Post by SIPNTHROED »

All I here is Destroyer this, Destroyer that ,it is so fast, blah blah blah. Of all the people who throw the disc maybe 15-20% should be throwing it.
I couldn't agree more with that statement. The Lincoln Fyin disc club was selling some at the beatrice touranment recently. We sold out after the first few days they were in stock, mostly to intermediate/rec players, who immediately threw the disc in their bag before the tournament even started. :? Most people make the mistake of thinking it's gonna be "the next great thing". Has anyone every compared the number of new molds released by manufacturer in one given year? This would be an interesting number. My bet Innova nearly doubles everyone else.

$DiScRaFt$ Stuck in the land of the TANK
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

mrsenortyler wrote:I really don't think there is much advantage to heavier discs, I don't think I could throw a 195g leopard farther than a 175g or 165g.
It might if you have the arm to throw that sort of disc. I certainly don't have that arm. Almost all of my drivers are in the 170 range.

I don't think the issue with me is so much weight as it is grip. I have small hands for a guy, and even the small diameter 21.1-21.2 cm discs that compose most of our drivers are a tad big to get that maximum D grip on. I sometimes wonder what I could do with a driver that is 0.5 cm smaller.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Get ready for some more thread drift...

On disc weight, I believe it is of benefit to all players to use close to max weight discs. Especially for putters, midranges, and overstable drivers.

The number one reason is that heavier discs are more predictable. Accuracy is much more important than distance in disc golf.

The second reason is that they go farther as well! Lightweight discs have potential to go farther in tailwind conditions, but as they are harder to control, heavier discs will go farther on average. It is actually pros with superior control (like CD Steiner) who can maximize distance while maintaining control of lighter weights.

The arguements I hear against this is that heavier discs are too overstable for beginners and intermediate players. While some of this is technique, some of it is also disc type. Newer players would be better suited throwing more understable discs than throwing light weights.

I think disc manufacturers have always recommended light weights because it gives them better sales. If nobody threw lighter weights, people wouldn't be buying them, so they wouldn't be making them and the product wouldn't sell as well overall.
Rusco

Post by Rusco »

jtkustomizer wrote:Why doesnt somebody call these "innova" players with lead discs out to the triple beams and actually weigh their discs.
I've had an interesting conversation with Dave McCormick (Gateway owner) about this topic. Say you were to call someone out on their disc being too heavy. The disc is weighted and is actually over the allowed limit of the disc. What would a TD do? You couldn't really do anything at all because you would have to weigh every disc in every competitors bag to enforce any rule. If you did this in the middle of the tournament who could say whether every disc that was used actually got weighed? What is stated in the PDGA manual about this? I'm not even sure that it is covered, even if it is I know that it isn't covered in the depth that would be necessary for a TD to make a ruling.

I've only begun to touch the surface of this topic. The only real way to enforce a disc weight at a tourney would be to have an official weigh in before the tourney kind of like at a track meet where the throwers have to get their implements weighed in. Then you'd have to mark the disc somehow and that wouldn't go over very good.....anyway enough on that topic but it is an interesting one to think about in a little more depth.

Lighter weight discs do in theory go further, they glide further but only to a certain extent. Even though I believe that a heavy disc is more consistent and will fly further for an experienced player I will never believe that a 200g driver will fly further than the same one at 175g. I've thrown the Black Jax Axe driver that weighs 202g. This thing has pretty good flight characteristics but you can tell that it just doesn't go anywhere because it is so heavy. I don't think a 200g roller would go any further than a 175g one and have been told that the 200g Axe doesn't roll very far either.

It amazes me how Innova seems to fudge weights so much. Gateway and Discraft do it as well but it just doesn't seem to be quite as much (on max weight stuff). Gateway tends to lean towards making a 173 wizard a 175g because they know a 175g will sell that much faster. They finally quit doing this after enough complaints! It always makes me laugh when someone is so particular to the weight of a disc because unless they whip out their scale right there and double check the weight it will rarely be what they 'need' it to be. McCabe told me to keep my discs over 170g and I think every player should simply go on that rule of thumb. If you want to use a heavier disc then keep it above 170g and don't be too particular because in reality the 170g might come out to 175g. If you use lighter discs then keep it in a certain 5g or so weight range.

I think I put my two cents in for the next couple months :D
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

I like this drift!Which can you throw further a baseball or a beachball? Ok I`ll be fair ,a soft ball.Right ,a smaller more compact weight performs better.
As far as the giant discs go,the 200 gram Jaguar is a superior roller if you have the power to heave it.Let me put it like this,1)monster trucks use larger diameter tires to clear obstacles.2)If you can accelerate the 200 Jag to the same speed as your 175 gazelle,momentum will carry the heavy disc further.3)As far as flight goes an overweight disc will out perform every direction except downwind if you have the power to throw it.I`m not talking about the giants ,just small diameter discs increased in weight. This is why the pro`s don`t throw Whamo`s anymore for distance! :lol:
:twisted: A 185 Surge would be one bad dude.To bad you might kill small animals and children on impact! :shock: Passing a flex test with an over weight disc might be a problem as well since the plastic density must go somewhere!
Overweight putters,JUST PLAIN CHEATEN!Less effected by the wind ,hold a straighter line,Oh yeah I forgot to mention that momentum also keeps the disc`s character traits subdued as well!Turn an heavy overstable over and it comes back more slowly than a light weight .It takes more control surfaces to move the increased weight,yep,you end up with a straighter throw!
There is some built in leeway in most of the standards ,but more than 2grams over the posted limit/diameter and you have an unfair advantage.The rules (802.01)state pretty specifically that these discs are illegal.Look at A,D,andE.Would`nt that toast some cookies :twisted:
www.DynamicDiscs.com