Oak Park

What's happenin' in Wichita

Moderators: jlsherwood, Schoen-hopper

Schoen-hopper

Oak Park

Postby Schoen-hopper » Fri May 16, 2008 3:44 pm

On Monday, the parks department is planning on dumping dirt near the front and back of our tees and dumping a pile of woodchips in the corner of the parking, near basket 5.

*We need to bring square shovels and brooms to get the dirt exactly where we need it and tamp it down. Then sweep the pads. The city will come back through and seed with grass to help keep it from eroding. We should try to do this Monday before the casuals make a mess of it.

*Can anyone bring a truck? Big scoop shovel and rakes would help as well. We need to put the woodchips where we need them. We need woodchips on the greens for holes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,15,16,18, & practice green. Some walking paths without grass could get a few chips as well.

*We'll probably pass out trash sacks for league on Thursday. Lots of beer cans in the woods.

jtkustomizer

Postby jtkustomizer » Fri May 16, 2008 4:52 pm

I wont be able to make it on monday but I could come out on wednesday and help.
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 am

I dont have tools any more . what time monday?
Chain smoker

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sun May 18, 2008 9:07 am

Let's meet up after 5:00pm. If we have a few people to help, it won't take so long.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 pm

If anyone can come out, if you can, bring leaf rakes and square shovels. If you have a truck, have at it.
In addition to the greens, any bare areas without grass can be mulched as well. Like the area in front of tee 1 and 17, path from 5's wooded tee, etc.[/url]

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Mon May 19, 2008 5:07 pm

may need to bring a saw / tree branch brock over the short tee on hole 7. dont know if the guy with the bob cat got to it and yanked it out or not but it was down when I was out there around noon.
Chain smoker

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 pm

The parks department did a lot for us today.

*They put dirt down on almost all the tee pads. They left us a decent size pile of dirt as well.

*They poured some chemicals in the pond to kill the algae. Should start working within a couple of days.

*They supervised some very minor trimming on holes 2,5,& 13. This is something that should never be done without the parks department.

-Robin and I picked up trash on the whole course. Holes 1 through 5 still need some more work so we'll hand out trash bags just for those holes.

-Bo, Randy, Jeff, Robin, Jacob, and I took truckloads of dirt to the pads. We added a little and moved what dirt was there to how we needed it. We only got holes 7 through 14.

*The city plans to come back out tomorrow to deliver the woodchips. They also plan to plant grass near the tees. I'll let them know about the tree down on hole 7.

-Plan is to meet out at Oak at 5:00 on Wednesday.

-We need to add about 75% of the dirt in the pile to tees 1-6 and 15-18. The rest we'll leave to see if any is needed after the dirt gets stomped down for week.

-We need to spread chips on all the greens that need it. That would be most of the greens. Espescially holes 1 through 7, 18, and practice basket.

We only want chips where there isn't grass. It works best to put them on THICK for about an 8' radius around the pin. If there is more bare area past that, put them on sparsely.

Other areas needing chips would be the paths going to and from the green on holes 1 and 7, the tee area for holes 1 long and 17 short and 18 short, the area between pads on hole 5, and maybe a few others.

We want to use up the chips they give us and get them in the right spot. Come out to help on Wednesday!

Postby 2 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:00 am

*They poured some chemicals in the pond to kill the algae. Should start working within a couple of days.

Its working all right, on my legs!!! No wonder my legs were burning when I got out!! Of all the times I've made that shot across!! And I thought it was a sun burn........... :roll: :oops: :wink:

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 am

whats it going to do to the fish and other wild life? I dont think they should have done that . they could have cleaned it out with out useing chemicals.
Chain smoker

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Wed May 21, 2008 11:30 am

Can anybody bring another truck tonight? And some shovels and rakes?

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Result from Oak Park Work night #2...

Your workers were Robin, Bo, Jacob, Jeff Wade, and Mike

We finished the dirt work. We didn't skimp on the remaining holes, which were roughly the "old 9" and taking a lot of abuse. The parks dept. will seed the dirt tomorrow and with some rain, we might have some baby grass to trample. While the grass won't survive the summer even if it does the trampling, it could provide some roots to keep the dirt from eroding.

Ther is a little bit of dirt left for anyone that is ambitious. It could be used on the front of 6's short tee, which is right next to where the dirt pile was. We needed a wheelbarrow, but we did take some shovel-fulls down there. More dirt or not, we should take some woodchips down there.

Work is not done: we have a huge pile of woodchips to get rid of.

Don't wait for a workday. If you have a truck and a shovel, have at it. You could try to move them before league tomorrow or Bo said he'd probably be out around noon on Saturday.

Here's where we need them. Pretty much all the greens. Only the areas without grass. On some holes, this could be a 10' radius or more from the pin. I would put them on extra thick for about an 8' radius where needed. Additional bare dirt around the green or on paths can be put down much thinner. On some of the areas around the tees, we could use a little chips to possibly help keep the dirt down. Holes 1 long and 17 short come to mind.

Heavily chipped areas would be greens 1 through 7, 18, and the practice basket. Bare paths between tees or around tees could also use some. One thing on the tees: perhaps a few chips over the top of the dirt would help? We don't want to keep the grass from growing, but we do want to keep the dirt down. Just go lightly on the dirt, but heavier around it.

We want to use up that whole pile, so you should see pretty soon that you can do a whole truckload on 1 or 2 holes.

Please help if you have a chance. I likely won't be able to help this weekend.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Thu May 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Buddy did 5's green. Somebody did holes 2, 3, and 4 tonight. I didn't see who, but good job. We took a load to hole 1. Not sure that it was enough.

We have a huge pile of chips left. Lets hit the greens heavy as you can see that they blow/wash away. Any bare areas can use some chips. Bare areas around the tees could also get some. Only sprinkles on the new dirt as we want the grass to grow. Could go heavier around the dirt though. Areas like 1's long tee, 17's short, 18's short.

Lizard has some of my tools and will use his truck to do chips tomorrow around noon. Please come out to give him a hand. Post hear if you want to get ahold of him. He is keeping up on this thread.

Bo is working Saturday and won't be out till around 2 or 3pm. Lizard might make it out around noon Saturday. Please post here and come out Saturday to help. We have a lot of tasks done, like trash pick-up, but we have other things to do before the tourney (string line, tee signs, and such). It would be nice to have the chips done so we can get on to other things.

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Went out today and no one showed up so i only got 4 truck loads of wood chips out. Holes 6,7,8,9,10,12,13,16, are done. still need to do holes 11, 15, 17 and 18. hole 14 doesnt need any. I'm sure that a couple of holes could use more than whats out there but i got wore out and wanted to get at least one round of golf in before the day was done. I will be out there tomarrow at noon again to bring out the tools. I'm so sore i won't be helping but will drive the truck of others want to load it and empty it . when bo gets there then he can take over.
Chain smoker

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sat May 24, 2008 1:54 am

Thanks Lizerd. That is the way of the workday. It's hard to get everything done by yourself. Probably most people working at that time though.

I will see if I can come out tomorrow to help get it finished up. Not sure yet.

They just planted the seed yesterday and we are now getting pounded with rain. It probably all washed off. I wonder how the new dirt held up.

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Sat May 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Big ruts in the new dirt at all most every pad because it so soft and muddy that when you step in it you just sink in. most of the grass seed is washed off the new dirt. even the wood chips on some holes is washed around in piles. i went out a noon hopeing otheres would show up to work and no one did .
Chain smoker

Return to “ACDGC Wichita”