Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Iron Man Course

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Iron Man Course

Post by Schoen-hopper »

You know it. 18 holes of skip-a-hole at Herman Hill Park. It won't be so tough because the pins are on short and the trees are getting thinned out. This is a great chance to work on the roller. There are some pretty interesting shots.

I was wanting to get out tomorrow (Friday) and play this. Anyone else got time? If anyone knows when they'll be free, I'll try to do it then.

Hey Iqbal, plan on throwing a mini tournament with this format sometime this season? The last time we played this, it was a lot of fun.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Who's going to get out and set the record for skip-a-hole short pads to short pins? This is the easiest config.

Maybe in the thick of summer, we can do long tees to long pins. Can you say par 80? Maybe not that bad if the trees keep disappearing.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Went to Herman after club today at Oak. Me and Ron Unruh played the short pad (short for the regular course) skip-a-hole style to the current short pins (except hole 6).

Amazing how you take an excellent par 3 course design, then "skip-a-hole", and the course is even more fun to play.

Here's how I figured the hole pars to be....

Tee number to pin number, par for short pad to short pin, long pad to long pin.

1-2......4......5
2-3......5......4
3-4......4......5
4-5......5......5
5-6......5......6
6-7......2......2
7-8......5......5
8-9......4......4
9-10....5......5
10-11...4......5
11-12...3......3
12-13...5......6
13-14...2......3
14-15...4......4
15-16...5......5
16-17...4......5
17-18...3......4
18-1....4......5

Short to short (what we played today) was Par 73. In the winter time it played about Par 70.

Long to long adds up to par 79. It plays every bit of that as many of these par 5's would really average 5 shots. A kicking south wind and summer foliage would put rounds well into the 80's.

The short tees actually play a bit harder on holes (tee number) 2, 6, 8, 11, & 15. If you switched them to play the easiest and hardest configurations, instead of par 73 and 79 you would be looking at an average score of maybe 68 and 83.

Despite how long this was, the long bomber didn't win. I had the best drive on maybe 80% of the holes and was better after my 2nd shot on perhaps 70%. Ron made excellent upshots and putts and ended up beating me 68-75. That goes to show ya how important all aspects of the game are with par 70 golf. Strategically placed drives and espescially upshots are more emphasized than in par 54 golf.

Course was fun to play. I kept finding my way into the park road OB. Don't tell anyone, but on hole 4-5, Ron skiped a tall hyzer of some old lady's windshield on Pawnee to land safely in bounds!

Par 70 golf is where it's at. Think if the course was actually designed for it and not just some skip-a-hole thing. We could improve several of the teeing areas in this skip-a-hole design and actually come up a great lay-out for a tourney.

Kansas doesn't have but one course of this stature. Hays comes close when the wind is up, but the whole lengths are mostly designed for par 3. Ted's Dread is pro par 60 when it's short and 70 when it's long. The course makes use of almost everything that makes for great holes. The elevation may be hard to come by, but we need more of these Par 60-70 style courses.

I've been taking a turn bloggin the hell out of the PDGA forum. Here is a pretty interesting thread. My post at the top of this page talks a bit about related hole design.

http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.p ... PHPSESSID=
Ring

Post by Ring »

I think short technical courses are better. Just my opinion though :wink:
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Good par 70 courses are short technical courses + one drive per hole. With a short, technical course, you already have the upshot and the putt. Wouldn't it be nice to throw a drive? Good par 70 courses aren't about throwing long drives, but about placing a drive to set up a good upshot and then making that upshot. On a given par 4, you could get from a 3 to a 6 rather than just a 2 or 3 on a short course. Also, no one is saying that Par 4 holes shouldn't be technical. Trees and elevation on greens to make safe play more rewarded is one thing that I would like to see more of.
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

8)
Last edited by Friz-Rocker on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Who cares???
Ring

Post by Ring »

Schoen-hopper wrote:Good par 70 courses are short technical courses + one drive per hole. With a short, technical course, you already have the upshot and the putt. Wouldn't it be nice to throw a drive? Good par 70 courses aren't about throwing long drives, but about placing a drive to set up a good upshot and then making that upshot. On a given par 4, you could get from a 3 to a 6 rather than just a 2 or 3 on a short course. Also, no one is saying that Par 4 holes shouldn't be technical. Trees and elevation on greens to make safe play more rewarded is one thing that I would like to see more of.
Yea that sounds pretty sweet...I'd like to try a whole 18hole course like that..
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

Mike, why are you always playing with yourself............

..............on the Iron Man course.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

We need to get some mini-golf courses for these old guys. Total length =1500 feet. Par 36.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

So you throw from #1 tee to #2 basket and then walk back to #2 tee? Doesn't this take a long time? Lots of extra walking? I would imagine it is worth it for some of the holes that you get, but really I am having trouble picturing this at HH. I need to try it with Norton! :)
b

Iron Man Course

Post by b »

no, don. you play 1-2, 3-4, etc. til 18, then skip 1 and go to 2--3, 4-5, etc. and end up with 18-1. you walk the course twice.
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

Set him straight Buddy. :)

J.K. :wink:
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Friz-Rocker wrote:I`m sick of you guys who want to make the holes so fu#@&%! long that my back hurts and my head wants to come off at the neck!
Roller aces are cheap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

8)
Last edited by Friz-Rocker on Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.