Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
discscout

Re: Colwich

Post by discscout »

Hole 11 was the one hole that I dreaded to do. It was originally slated to go through the woods but we took the path of least resistance and are going around. I still dreaded it. There is more work on this hole than any two of the others combined. We did the first half last year and have already put in 10 man hours toward completing the last half. With that said, there is a ton of brush on the ground that needs burned just so we can continue clearing. If your not doing the Hyzerknot; please come help. Or if you were going to Newton; change your plans and come help. We will start at 9 but I plan on being there early to start the fire. (Hole 11 is by the bridge on 53rd Street just past the town). If you can't help on Sat, but would like to help on Sunday; post it on ACDGC facebook and I'll get the message somehow; we will have another workday.
jlsherwood

Post by jlsherwood »

The Colwich Disc Golf Course has been undergoing re-design over the past couple of years due to changes in land availability. Currently there are 10 playable holes, with two tee locations each.

It is a fun course to play, but this is the time of year to work on completing the rest of the course.

Bill Paulson has been the primary person responsible for this course, spending many hours (often time with little or no help) clearing and burning. If you have ever enjoyed playing this course and want to see it continue to improve this is your chance to help make that happen.

A work day has been scheduled for this coming Saturday, Dec 13 beginning at 9:00 a.m.Much of the work will be towards the north side of the park so you will want to park off the road, at the bridge on 53rd st, just west of the school.

Bill has volunteered hours upon hours and an amazing amount of manual labor on this project and on almost all of the disc golf courses you now enjoy in the Wichita area, Haysville's expansion of Old Oaks being the latest. Show him how much you appreciate his contribution with a contribution of your own. Any amount of time you can spare is all I am asking of you. If the planned work is not completed on Saturday there will be a second day scheduled Sunday if we have people committed to being there to help.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The workday was a huge success. Way beyond my expectations for the day. But that happens when you have good help. We put in 30 hours of time today but what really made the difference was Jess bringing a tractor and pole saws and all the people that showed up and pitched in. Not moving a ladder and not having to gather and drag brush made a huge impact on what we got accomplished. The only problem is; we have three huge piles of brush in the middle of the fairways that has to be burned before these holes are playable. Oh, did I say holes; plural. I did! We finished both hole 11 and 12. There is still a little bit of brush to pick up but that can be done when we burn the piles. There is still just a little touch up on trimming but these two holes can be playable as is which finishes the east side of the creek. Now on to the four holes on the west and the 18 will be ready for install.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Once again, last Sat we put in 20 man hours and cleared two holes. That leaves only one and a couple piles of brush to burn and we are ready to install all of the missing 18 holes, tee signs and alternates. It should be in by late spring. Keep your fingers crossed.
discscout

Post by discscout »

About a week ago, Jess Stewart and I spent 10 hours trying to clean up the last hole. We got about 1/2 done. At least one tee and one basket can be installed on every hole left to be installed. So I truly hope that task is accomplished this spring; however, we still have three brush piles that are dead center of two of the fairways that still have to be burned to make it playable. That either has to be done next week or we will have to wait until May. Stay tuned to see if it happens. Of course; there is still some clean-up on other holes already in But it is minor compared to what has already transpired.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The good news is: Colwich has 18 baskets with two tees and two pin placements. The bad news is: there is still work left to do. Hole 10 still needs clearing but is playable. Hole 12 long position still needs cleared. Tee signs need upgrading and is in the works. Distances will be added within a week or two. We hope to have the new sign inserts done and installed by Christmas. About half of the yellow fairways still need clearing. Yellow is for recreation and beginning players. Go out and enjoy. Probably the toughest course in the Wichita area. A lot like Newton (Hawk) and Salina (Thomas).