Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Re: Colwich

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Schoen-hopper wrote:WORKDAY AT COLWICH WEEKEND OF 12-18 & 12-19.

I'm going to say league is off for Sunday. Getting this course ready to go back in is more important. Hope some people can help. Perhaps the club can pay for a lunch for everyone who can help.
Wups, league is actually Saturday that weekend. I'll have to talk to Mike Speer about this to see what will happen. It's so hard to schedule these workdays and get enough help to get everything done. If you can come, your help will be most appreciated. If you can bring a saw, even better.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I might have to work saturday but if not I'll try to be there both days
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Thanks Derek, PM Sent.

I bought a big jug of bar oil last night. So I can try to keep everyones saws filled up.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

League is cancelled for next Saturday so people have time to come out to help at Colwich. League will resume Sunday the 26th, 1pm at Newton.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I may end up helping out Saturday. Thinking about skipping out on work.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Reminder- This is the work weekend for the Colwich redesign. All we have to do is get the trees cut and the city will drag piles with a skid loader to be burned. Let me know if you can make it and I'll send you Bill's phone number.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Just talked to Bill. Plan is to work out there from 9:30 to around 3pm or so. If you can come out even for just an hour or two it would help.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Got a lot of work done today. Looks promising! Thanks to Bill for getting this course re-designed, and getting some students and wood haulers on board to help with this.

Work will start again out there tomorrow at 1pm. It's looking like there will be plenty to do even after tomorrow. So if you can't make it, but could do some cutting or dragging out there some time, just let Bill know and he can explain whatever needs done.
discscout

Post by discscout »

All but one fairway on the east side of the creek has been cut on. One can actualy see fairways. There has been at least 10 pickup loads of firewood taken off these holes. So you can imagine how much brush is down. Not having used a skidloader with a grapple before, I can only assume that it would be easier and faster if there were piles and not brush that has to be raked but I am not concerned at this point. If somebody wants something to do, go out and make piles but keep the branches parallel. There is still a ton of work to do so we will have another workday coming soon.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

The way the brush is stacked certainly will make a difference in how easy it is to pick up. But moving that stuff around might be wasted effort as difficult it is to get this stuff "unstuck" from itself and the fact that it will have to be manipulated into bite size loads anyway once the skid loader is available. Another idea if picking up the piles with the skid loader proves to be difficult: Restack the piles with the biggest butts on the bottom and tie a rope around them and drag them to the burn pile with the skid loader. If anyone wants to help get this course going again, come out to the next work day. From what I hear, me and Bill were the only discers who helped on the last work weekend.
discscout

Post by discscout »

There has been a ton of work done. Hole 3 which plays through New timber has been completely cleared including using a ladder to get the high stuff. The only hole that hasn't been touched on the east side of the creek is hole 11 and it has been shifted to create an easier, less work path/fairway for the immediate future. It can be moved later into the heavy woods when it gets cleared. The west side only needs a day of work to make it ready. That is a day with a couple of saws and a few pilers. The main concern is getting all the brush out of the way so I am praying the skid loader comes through. Go out and take a look. Teesa are red flags and baskets are yellow. You will be as excited as I am when you see what has been done. There will be some shifting of positions once the brush is cleared and we can actually see what we have so nothing is etched in stone quite yet; there is room for tweaking.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Is anybody up for a work weekend the 26th and 27th? I have some committments but can work around them. I know league is Sat at 1 so could work in the morning for a while. I plan on putting some time in out there doing something. Probably sat morn and 10-2 on Sunday.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I should be able to make it. There will be at least one or two others with me.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Looks like I won't be able to be there until 1 on Sunday. If you are wanting to help out, call me at 650-9759 to see when I will be there. My wife has something she needs my help with.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Lets be realistic for a moment. The course will go in eventually but it won't be anytime soon. There is still a ton of work to do and the season to work on it is coming to an end for me. We want this in better shape when we open than the old course ever thought about being. All future efforts will be on holes 1-5 and 14-18. That will give us 10 holes to play until the next section can be completed. Our short term goal is to clear the down brush so it can continue to be mowed, remove the stumps that still exist so they can be treated and won't return and do a little more trimming to make the brush removal a little easier with tractors. It really is too bad more people didn't get involved so the course could be installed this year as this course will kick your butt. Sometime in the next couple of months, someone will remove the brush and burn it. My last weekend to work out there will be this weekend; Sunday. If you want to help, give me a call.