Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Re: Colwich

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Bill asked if someone could bring a 4 wheeler or a truck with 4WD.

Who can come?
discscout

Post by discscout »

With the weather as they say, Saturday will probably be dedicated to thinking about our options for the future as the city would like to reduce costs of mowing. We will probably work on Sunday after the snow and rain leave.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

No league tomorrow. Workday is cancelled to as it'll be too slick for running a chainsaw safely. More info to come on Colwich.
discscout

Post by discscout »

As the city is trying to reduce costs of mowing, it is time for us to start thinking about our options to preserve our presence in Colwich. The current course has too many creek crossings that can't be maintained by the city and we as a club don't want to maintain on our own. This fact, with the condition of the bridges, tells me we need to redesign the course to one that can be played year around, that the city can maintain easily with just a mower. Because the course is mostly unplayable for most of the year, people don't play this course giving the city even more reason to eliminate the mowing all together. For these reasons, I am attempting to design a course that will be condensed into an area to the east of the retention ponds. This means three holes on the west side of the creek and 15 holes in the area to the east of the creek with no fairway crossing a creek so they can be mowed. Unfortuately, this means a massive amount of work. But there will be a fraction of the work annually as we now experience to keep it playable once it is installed. This is not a done deal but the city and the club is still in negotiations as to what is the best way to keep disc golf alive in Colwich. Are you willing to help one more time to keep disc golf alive in northwest wichita?
Derek

Post by Derek »

I live and play in Colwich. Ill do what i can to help and keep it alive.
discscout

Post by discscout »

I plan on getting on the agenda for the Board meeting Apr 26, I think.
Derek

Post by Derek »

If it does come to the point that you do have to redesign the course me and couple other guys will be willing to help do some work on the weekends. We'll be willing to work regardless of the redesign or not.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

A few guys at league said they'd be willing to help.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Sorry, the meeting was tonight. They wanted to reduce costs and by redesigning the course into a smaller area, mowing will be a third of current. I suspect only a 1/4th. The baskets need upgraded to a new locking system so the course will be pulled this week. When we are ready to reinstall, we will put back the original 9 on the east. The area to the west will be abandoned immediately. Over the course of a year, we will clean up an area to install an 18 hole course that will be playable year around. I'll make another post when the baskets go back. I'm hoping by mid May.
Derek

Post by Derek »

yeah i was in for a rude awakening today when i showed up at the course and there were no baskets.. :|
discscout

Post by discscout »

Yep. They pulled them today. I need to get a sign up that says course closed for repairs. I am thinking about installing the 9 holes in a new fashion all on the east side of the creek just to shake things up a little. Help spread the word that it is closed for now. The new will be better than the old in that it will truely be playable year around.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Here we go again. The new 18 hole design runs the opposite direction from before. The first five holes all fit in the area we use to use for 17 and 18 with two tees and two pins. Long to long is over 6000' and short to short is under 4000' so this course can be set up for any purpose. The first five holes have been cut and laid on the ground. At least 75% of the cutting is done and could be playable once picked up. A fellow is going in next weekend and taking the firewood from what has been cut and also off an entire fairway that hasn't been touched. If that happens we could play some league out there and do some work. I will keep you posted of future work days.
Pudge19am

Post by Pudge19am »

So are the baskets in on those five holes ? or is there a projected time frame of when they will have baskets back in ? Also Have you heard anything about a course in Clearwater. A guy I work with said It looks like they have flagged for a nine hole course close to the school there in Clearwater.
discscout

Post by discscout »

There is a 9 hole two tee two pin course going in at Clearwater if final approval is obtained. School board, park board and other boards all need to agree but I think it will be a matter of time. There could also be a permanent 4 hole practice/skill shot course on the west end. Haysville is putting in a 9 holer in the spring and Derby just poured concrete tee pads. Notice that 6 & 7 have moved.
Now, back to Colwich. There are no baskets at this point. We will not put them in piecemeal. There will be 72 holes to drill with two tees and two pins so we want a machine and do them all at the same time. That doesn't mean we couldn't use portables or even better, Crispin and Bens "chain thang" targets. Our target date for install is the last week of March. With that said, there is still a ton of work to do. The good news is we have a skid loader with a grapple promised to move piles of brush. We only have to drag a short distance to make piles. The next work days will be both Sat and Sunday the 18th and 19th. Not sure of times yet but usually start at 9 and work until we get tired. Some people come for a short time while others stay all day. Any help is appreciated. Bring chain saws and leather gloves. There will be plenty of extra leather gloves to borrow if you don't have any.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

WORKDAY AT COLWICH WEEKEND OF 12-18 & 12-19.

I won't be out until afternoon if I have to work, but I'll be there at least Sunday afternoon. Shouldn't be anything that tough, just need lots of saws and some dragging. If anyone can communicate with Bill if they can come that would help. I'm sure he'll try to be there all weekend, but it would help coordinate if anyone can speak up if they know when they can make it.

I'm going to say league is off for Sunday. Getting this course ready to go back in is more important. Hope some people can help. Perhaps the club can pay for a lunch for everyone who can help.