Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

The Rock

Salina News and info.
Mace Man

The Rock

Post by Mace Man »

Do the Salina people want the Rock to be PDGA sanctioned???? If so people will have to step up and get sponsorship from local companies. We need to decide soon so it can get on the PDGA schedule to bring more people to from in side and outside the state... here :!:
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I'm not a Salinan, but I'm sure you've heard it would be a great PDGA event. Truly great tournament.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I don't really care if it's pdga or not. It seemed like you had a good turnout last year without it being sanctioned and there looks like there is going to be plenty of other sanctioned events on the tour this year.
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

Pardon my ignorance but what makes a PDGA sanctioned event 'better'? What are the advantages? (besides publicity)

Is it going to cost weekend warrior golfers more? That's 80% of Salina golfers.
How much sponsorship do we need to raise?
Is there a tutorial on getting sponsorship? Does this mean canvassing door to door? I'll go with you.

I'm all for it. Just tell me what to do Mr President.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I am in support of The Rock being PDGA. It would only make it bigger.

I am willing to help with sponsorships, but have a few questions about how much money to ask for, what type of businesses to hit, and what kind of approach works with business owners.

Also, how many Rock tournaments have we had? Have we been doing it for 20 years yet?
what makes a PDGA sanctioned event 'better'?
I like it because I get to work on my rating without having to drive 2 hours. Also, PDGA seems to draw more and better players from further away. I think the only set back to not being PDGA at a PDGA event is $5.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

THE ROCK needs to be a PDGA event!
kyle

Post by kyle »

The PDGA has some tips for finding sponsors in this document
http://www.pdga.org/documents/td/HowToPlanPDGAEvent.pdf
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Go to your Chamber of Commerce, our Chamber in Emporia has been a HUGE help.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

If it's pdga sanctioned why does it automatically need sponsership? I have no problem helping out, I'm just interested in why being sanctioned means you need sponsership.
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

McCabe wrote:Go to your Chamber of Commerce, our Chamber in Emporia has been a HUGE help.
Beautiful! That's the know how knowledge we're looking for.

Thanks for the tips link Kyle.

I'm sure Mace already knows all this. He's what you'd call 'smart'.

I see the $5 fee being a set back locally. It's not much but it is a jab to non-members. However if our President says it's the way to go I believe him. Call a meeting Mace. I'll be there. We'll need to put a proposal together before going to the Chamber.

Tyler my guess is sponsorship = money. Money = players. Players = publicity.

How much to get my name on hole # 1?
doc

Post by doc »

Not trying to say anything original here:

Sanctioning an event will likely bring in state/regional PDGA players to test their skills. Because most players everywhere are not PDGA members, other events might/will draw them out of the woodwork...whether to save $5, and/or for them to feel more competitive skill-wise...which are offered in the form of leagues and other minis.

IMO, sanctioning an event is showcasing that particular DG weekend (think state/county fair) and a great way to get the eager local DG peeps/newbs involved through volunteering, OR just spectating. If the event looks appealing, then they may progress...

'Addicted' Discers progress by making blind~leaps/baby~steps (not necessarily in this order): 1) by throwing a round with folks they don't know, 2) playing a league~night, 3) becoming/being a 'regular', 4) joining at the local level, 5) traveling to play elsewhere, 6) playing non~league minis/tourneys, 7) checking out the state/national scene...KDGA, PDGA, etc...

A common denominator for ALL the above points is a potent desire to improve skills. Feeling welcome to participate is VERY important and when discers make any of the above leaps/steps, they need to feel they fit in somehow. After all, it is all about the FUN~FACTOR, right?

We know what DG means to each of us...and sharing our joys/passions/camaraderie with other folks gives a sense of community, naturally. Where would YOU be without DG? Has DG done you any good? DG seems worthy of sharing with others, IMO...'let them' take the steps they wish to take.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

MOthrows wrote:I don't really care if it's pdga or not. It seemed like you had a good turnout last year without it being sanctioned and there looks like there is going to be plenty of other sanctioned events on the tour this year.
Over the last three years the attendance has dropped and I think making it a PDGA event will draw more people to the event. With a PDGA event there is a payout requirement which needed added payout. I would have to do some checking to see what they are.

Brandon
(just a member of the community)
smitty

Post by smitty »

Here are the PDGA tour standards.

http://www.pdga.com/documents/td/06TourStandards.pdf

Some of the basics for a B-tier, which the Rock could be.

1- NO other PDGA events as close as 250 miles.
2- Min of $250 added to pro purse, with 110% payout. Min purse of $1,750
3- $10 players pack to all Ams.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

In the end, I'd say the decision to sanction or not would be up to
Mace Man wrote:
Brandon
(just the president of Salina's disc golf community)
since he's running the tournament.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

It seems to me like making it a c tier would draw almost as many people and you wouldn't have to jack with the added cash or the players pack. I think the pdga fee is a little less too.