Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Thomas Park

Salina News and info.
Austin

Thomas Park

Post by Austin »

I went over to Thomas park on my lunch break to get a feel for the park. I was physically alone, but I did take Mr. Crowbar.

The entire park is relatively flat. There is the dike down the south side and a slew down the right. Toward the back there is a giant draining ditch.

There is a wide range of trees in the park however. In the front there are big mature trees. These could give you 3 to 6 Frontier feeling holes. Toward the left center is where the Forestry Dept. has there trees. Mostly saplings planted in rows.

To the North of that there are very mature pine trees with dense under growth. This would give you 5 to 8 corridor style holes. It gives the feel of the wooded Colwich holes minus the thorns and creek. The gaps range from 10 foot to 30 foot between the rows. Some are as short as 100 feet and some are up around 450 feet. Not all of the row are straight, so there would be several doglegs.

To the North of that there is a small amount of light woods. There would only be 1 or 2 holes in this area. It would be good to throw down a corridor into these, then throw out into a corridor. Kind of like holes 2 thru 6 at Oak park.

Behind that there is an open area with a big slew. I would say it is betwwen 30 and 40 feet deep. It is part of the flood system for Salina. This area would be good for 3 to 5 holes. You could make some risk/reward over and around the slew. Past the slew there is a very dense group of trees. I am not sure if this is actually considered part of the 15 acres of the park. The trees are about as thick as the pictures for Marshal Street or Sandy Point. There is a good amount of under growth. There is a possible 3 to 5 holes.

If we put a couple of holes down the dike we would have an easy 18 holes. If we were to make one of the dike shots over 1000 foot we could easily reach a average style gold tee course with a 61 par.

All and all, Indian Rock would still be better.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I got the chance to check out Thomas park this weekend and it looks like it has great potential!
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Maybe our club should buy some of these.
http://www.santacruzdisc.com/store/prod ... ucts_id=28
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I can't believe there's any left.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Here are some pics of Thomas Park.

This is the front of the park that is visible from the road.

This is one of about 6 tunnels. Some of the tunnels have more canopy coverage than this one.

This is the slew that is about 2/3's of the way in the back. The trees on the left can be used, but are very dense.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

We could cut some fairways through the timber if we had too. Man, it would be sweet if we had a course there!
smitty

Post by smitty »

Looks pretty sweet. I wouldn't count on using that ditch.

Has the parks department said OK yet?
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

The last that I knew, we are supposed to come up with a course proposal and present it to them.
Austin

Post by Austin »

MOthrows wrote:The last that I knew, we are supposed to come up with a course proposal and present it to them.
Rich should know for sure, but I think the big budget meeting is in November.
I wouldn't count on using that ditch.
I doubt we can use the ditch itself, but I was hoping to have a few holes around it.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I heard that they had a meeting about the park yesterday and that the military academy wants to buy part of it to put in an obstacle course. Does anybody else know anything about this? That's going to throw a big monkey wrench into our plans if it's true.
sb23

Post by sb23 »

yes i heard about the meeting yesterday that kinda sucks for us
Austin

Post by Austin »

Hopefully they are just looking for the track of land east of Ninth St. It is between their campus and their existing obstacle course. We wouldn't be able to use that land for our course anyway. We need to find out exactly what land they are looking for. More importantly we need to get over to the park and get a rough design laid down. The cities November budget meeting will be here sooner than you think.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Maybe someone else will know more about the piece of land their looking at. Either way, I agree that we need to start going over there and figuring out some placements.
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

You're home Tyler. Make some calls.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Actually I've been gone since Thursday and just got back last night. Who do you want me to call?