Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Thomas Park

Salina News and info.
disc golf superhero

Re: Thomas Park

Post by disc golf superhero »

Well Randy Brown hung a -5 today. Official current course singles record. Just for THE record I was one stroke a head of him at -2 going into hole 9. Then RB proceeded to do what he does and I proceeded to do what I do. Great round Randy! Congrats!
pschmidt

Thomas Park

Post by pschmidt »

Video on youtube during Sunday league at Thomas Park on 7-12-09.

http://www.youtube.com/results?feature= ... type=&aq=f
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

Wednesday night the Salina Parks Department Advisory Board has approved $2500 for tee pads at Thomas Park. Now it goes to the City for final approval. 99% of the time the city goes along with what the Board approves. I talked with Bob about another issue and he brought this up to me and said if all goes well in spring we will get them put in.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Sweet!

Harvey called me to tell me he has removed some of the dead trees surrounding hole 10's basket. I guess it has really opened up the hole. We need to schedule another work day to get that finished and put the new pin sleeves in the ground on that hole. Maybe we could work on hole 14 while we are there.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Mace Man wrote:Wednesday night the Salina Parks Department Advisory Board has approved $2500 for tee pads at Thomas Park.
Is $2500 enough for all of the teepads?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

We need to get go out and discuss the alt pin placement to make final decisions so we can get the signs printed up before the end of the year. If we don't do this we will lose those funds. I say an hour or so before league on sunday. Any thoughts??
Don't go easy on us. Make them diabolical. Torturous on the score card!

What are you guys thinking, 2 pins for each hole?
Realistically, some of them could have a shorter setting. A few could be killer par 4's with a longer placement. I'm sure you guys have put way more thought into this having seen the evolution of the course.

That's killer you guys are getting tee pads! Going with one set of tees from the original locations (long)? Can't wait to play out there again. Have you decided the final layout? Heard you guys backed off the original changes, but were still wanting to put 2 more holes in after 14? I've only played the Food Drive event, so I didn't even get a chance to play 5 or 6 yet.

I would like to hear what you all are looking at as I'm sure it is more refined and driven at making this beauty of a course even better. I posted "a few" comments on the previous page.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1924&start=90
Curious where you guys will run with the new placements. Thoughts from playing the course one time, memory may not be accurate..

1- A warm up hole could have a shorter position that could be birdied more frequently. Wasn't there a longer one on the other side of the road? Would that be a permanent consideration? The OB situation would be confusing. Are there other options for a long placement?
2-The tee should move up a few feet so people cannot play a hyzer line through the open fairway. That kinda defeats the hole. A short placement on the downhill end of the tunnel would be cool.
3-This could be a crazy dog leg with the basket just out in the open. Gotta bust out of the woods. Or could there be a "U-turn" shape where players could try to shortcut with a tomahawk?
4-Could you use the dike at all? That would give the course some of the only thing it lacks- elevation change. With the wind on this hole, this could be tough!
5,6- Never played. Look pretty long! Do they play par 3.5 or par 4?
7- Tough to improve this hole. Maybe a deeper pin?
8- I remember this being a cool putter shot with not much room for expansion as it's close to 7 & 9.
9, 10, 11- Is there room for longer placements? On 10 or 11, a pin tucked in the woods might be cool too. Does 9 have a nearby location a pin could be right next to a tree? That would make it tough.
12- Killer hole, maybe a shorter, but more wooded placement?
13- This could be a great par 4 with a longer and / or more wooded green. Plays par 3.5 (tweener) on current pin.
14- What work needs done? Favorite hole!
? Course expansion plans between these holes?
15- Could it be longer? The OB and tree line would make this a classic par 4. Or would players just bail out to the fairway on the right?
16- Room for longer? The short normal pin gives this course some variety. You want to have a few birdie holes.
17- Pretty crazy cool par 4 as it is. Longer down the straight tunnel? The longer you go, the more it would need trimmed up.
18- A few holes like 18 are a little too long for most of us to reach, which usually means a lot of 3's for advanced players. Green is cool though. Not sure there is any tricky short pin locations, could a pin be added 30' deeper or behind a tree somewhere?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Do you not have much to do with your time Mike? Wow.

Hole 1. The pin across the road is in. It is a tough 3.
Hole 2. Pad allready moved up.
Hole 4. No dike. Could make it very long or add a shorter pin tucked in the woods.
Original hole 5 & 6 are gone. Added 2 holes between 14 and 15. Thay changed the number of a bunch of holes.
Hole 6. ( old 8 ). Tee box moved back 75 foot. Also has an alt pin that is out of the woods adding another 120ish feet.
Hole 7, 8, and 9. (old 9, 10, and 11). Will all have multiple pins making them tougher.
Hole 10. (old 12) Cut down a bunch of old trees. Will be 100 feet longer to the left with an option for a right pin.
Hole 16. Has room to be 150 feet longer. Still need to look at that.
Hole 17. No longer the hardest hole on the course. New 14 is TOUGH!
Hole 18. There is a place for a pin slightly shorter and to the right. I birdie this hole 50% of the time the way it is.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

Austin wrote:
Mace Man wrote:Wednesday night the Salina Parks Department Advisory Board has approved $2500 for tee pads at Thomas Park.
Is $2500 enough for all of the teepads?
I'm not worried about it. I gave Bob our tee sizes and said we would like the larger one due to the lack of grass on some holes so I sure the figures are close. They have took care of us in the past and I'm sure this will be no different.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Austin wrote: Hole 18. There is a place for a pin slightly shorter and to the right. I birdie this hole 50% of the time the way it is.

I am confused? Does this make it good or bad?

I think 18 is an OK hole, and I doubt that you birdie it half the time you play it. Probably more like 1/3 of the time. Go and play that hole 10 times and report the results.

Tee pad will make the place more enjoyable to play. How are they going to get cement into the woods? Tractor?

Looking forward to playing the two new holes and all the new pins.
disc golf superhero

Austin wrote:Hole 18. I birdie this hole 50% of the time the way it is.
ROFLMAO!!!
Austin

Post by Austin »

disc golf superhero wrote:
Austin wrote:Hole 18. I birdie this hole 50% of the time the way it is.
ROFLMAO!!!
Allright, maybe not 50%. But I get it a lot. I know its more than your faded old a$$. :)
smitty

Post by smitty »

Played a little gay Thomas today.

The 2 new holes are pretty sweet, they fit with the course. The 2 holes you had before didn't really fit.

Also, saw some of the paint marks for pins. Looks like things are really coming together.
disc golf superhero

smitty wrote: The 2 new holes are pretty sweet, they fit with the course. The 2 holes you had before didn't really fit.
Austin can't stop talking about these holes either! He just uses different adjectives.
And why you no call and ask "wanna go gay"?! I was looking for a play mate!
smitty

Post by smitty »

It was a last minute, "it sure is nice do you care......NO get out of here you and the boys are driving me nuts........see you in a couple of hours" type thing.

I did see your buddy out there in the blue jeep. Is he the new van man?
disc golf superhero

Mace painted his jeep?

Just sent a mass txt. All the big guns are playin at 2.