Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

The Rock 2008

Salina News and info.
Mace Man

The Rock 2008

Post by Mace Man »

Well it looks like we got hosed for our normal Rock date for 2008. The PDGA has scheduled the GBO on our normal date. Below is one date that has been suggested but I don't like the grouping for that month. It puts three large tournament almost back to back that will hurt our attendance. What are your thoughts???

April
Discs Unlimited 6th
Rock 19th/20th
GBO 26th/27th
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I agree that April has been too crowded. I know most do not, but I go to Ted's every year, which is also right about the same time.

What does May's schedule look like? That would still be a great time for a tournament at the Rock.
Austin

Re: The Rock 2008

Post by Austin »

Mace Man wrote:Well it looks like we got hosed for our normal Rock date for 2008.
You mean the weekend we have had since the early to mid 90's?

Maybe we could take one of their dates.

March 31 Emporia, KS (MonkeyIsland)
May 6 Emporia, KS (Dynamic Discs Safari)
May 20 Great Bend, KS
August 25-26 Emporia, KS (Glass Blown)
October 20 Newton, KS (Camp Hawk)
October 21 Emporia, KS (Dynamic Discs Open)

Between Emporia and the DD's I am sure we could find a weekend that would work well.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

The Rock offers a venue that is unique for disc golf in KS. I say put it where you want to Mace and you'll still draw plenty of players.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Austin wrote:Maybe we could take one of their weekends

March 31 Emporia, KS (MonkeyIsland)
May 6 Emporia, KS (Dynamic Discs Safari)
May 20 Great Bend, KS
August 25-26 Emporia, KS (Glass Blown)
October 20 Newton, KS (Camp Hawk)
October 21 Emporia, KS (Dynamic Discs Open)

Between Emporia and the DD's I am sure we could find a weekend that would work well.

First of all, it really wasn't Emporia taking your date. The PDGA has a ton to do with setting the dates for an A-tier.

If you want the August 25th weekend, I can pencil you in.

For that matter if you want any of the above dates, I am sure we can make any of them work. Since none of them are KDGA Super tour events.

The fact of the matter is I tried to do the Rock and the other to event a favor by asking what would work the best. Your weekend is still open. How it is your weekend, I don't really know. The rock has switched weekends a few times.

Maybe we should just go back to the original way were the schedule is made, and you are told what weekend you can have your event.

Better yet, maybe I could turn the job over to a new person, and they can spend their time calling people and trying to make all TD's happy.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Mace Man wrote:Well it looks like we got hosed for our normal Rock date for 2008. The PDGA has scheduled the GBO on our normal Rock date
Nobody is blaming you Smitty and I sure don't want your job. It would cut too deeply into the fast paced lifestyle that I currently lead. I simply meant that the Rock is a unique venue and it will draw a good amount of players no matter what open date that Mace chooses to put it on.
str8

Post by str8 »

I'm pissed! :evil: But the strange part is at who?

Being a TD and having grandfather clause status at the Frontier is important to me and my community (not so much on the PDGA or KDGA tour as on the community calendar). It's annual, it's been on the same weekend ever since it started. However, we have to share the park with other organizations. Therefore communication between our club and parks department has to be well in advance. So, I understand the need for consistency.

At the same time, I KNOW how difficult it would be to try and schedule a Kansas tour and a PDGA tour at the same time. You can't make everyone happy. But what no one seems to get is the fact that someone is taking time out of their schedule to do this, with no pay BTW.

I never ran the tour, but I do RUN the Frontier. When I think about how many hours I personally invest into making it happen, and then how pissed I feel when someone has the nerve to bitch about something -- makes me want to say..."here you go buddy, you do it then. FY!"

The bottom line is this sucks! Crap like this is what burns people out. The funny thing, all we're trying to do was make people happy! But you can not make everyone happy. This is a situation to be pissed about, not a person or a club. It's something we need to discuss.

I love you all, hope we can work this out!
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Sometimes change is good.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Well, the GBO is NOT the Emporia Clubs event...it is now a Double D event, and yes, it was the PDGA and Rusco who came up with that date, not the Emporia Club!
Like Str8 said, it's impossible to make everyone happy, and no matter what TD's do, it pisses someone off..