Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Herman Pin Placements

What's happenin' in Wichita
discscout

Herman Pin Placements

Post by discscout »

It won't be too long before we have the new pin placements ready to install. Now the question remains; where? I propose we leave 3 as it is and number nine add a long placement past #10 long tee, past the corner of the building back in the hole between the first tree and the building leaving enough room to mow around. The building may get hit but it is concrete and the windows are glass block and the main pedestrian traffic is nowhere near. Tee 10 long could stay or be moved up 40 feet and be mostly clear. Concrete and flower beds would be OB. Take a look see, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Or better yet, take a portable basket and everybody play it a few times.

Post by 2 »

Now these are extra sleeves right? So we won't be moving sleeves, just adding placements.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

It'll be nice to have a full 36 pins in. Right now we have a couple of damaged pins to replace on 6 and 14, plus an extra location to add on 7 and 9. Any extra on top of that would be a bonus. Seems like there is a good place on holes 7 and espescially 6 for a 3rd location. I'm not exactly sure when it will happen, but any input would be welcome, I'm sure.
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

You mean to tell me the other pin placement for 6 is still there, why hasn't it been moved to the shorter pin placement? I think a even shorter pin
placement would be a plus on 6 for many reasons: we wouldn't have to get chased out by the police every time we wade for our disc in the river.(DICKHEADS), Another birdie on the course(not an easy one though),
a possible ACE(everyone loves those), AM's can finally see a par on 6.
I think hole 4 needs to go behind the long placement(down the hill), but not to close to 5 long tee. Or to the right of 4 L placement kinda behind
the trees closer to pawnee. If you put it there you could possibly use it for
a Alt. placement for 8's tee.
I think this time around should really go to the
AM's advantage,last time went to the PRO's being that we took every bit of
the course we could and stretch it out making some really great holes.
Those AM's love those birdies too! :wink:
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

In the first part of my post I mentioned that hole #6 has a damaged placement that is going to be replaced. That is a good placement that can be birdied from the short tee.

Actually Scooba, Bill showed me a sweet new pin placement on hole #6 that is right on the crest of the hill, just to the left of the last group of large trees. It'll be about 730 feet and will scare the hell out of everyone. I saw Ring throw 2 flicks to the location I'm talking about from the long tee. It could be 3'd, but 4 would be a birdie as this would be a true par 5. Play smart and get a 4. Go for it... hope you are good. This is the direction disc golf is going. Harder courses means more strategy. The game more greatly resembles....golf.

A long placement on 4 does sound cool. We really don't want to be throwing towards Pawnee. There is a mando on that hole that prevents that. With the current locations, I think the mandatory is kind of unecessary, but if we put in a new location towards Pawnee, the mando would need to be in play. A long #4 doubling as a short #8 would kinda be like old hole #7 eh?

#13 could get a super-duper long setting. I don't know about any others that could get another. Maybe 11 long and left? That would bring a picnic table into play.

The idea of making #9 longer is good. That shot is a good roller from the long tee. There would be shots ending up where hole #3 long's basket is now, and you would have to move #10's tee. Maybe the proposed location is more to the right than I'm thinking, in which case maybe we could get around moving #10 long's pad.

There's been a few ideas on hole #7, all of which I think are good. Just on the other side of the trees from where it is now is one. Not much longer, but trickier, with the trees and road in play. Over to the right at the end of that tree line about 80 to the south of the current location is a second placement. Again same distance, but the upshot or putting angle would be trickier for a righty. And there is a long placement down about 45' from the gate off the road. This could be a spot (or somewhere around here) for a super long #13. Maybe these could share a placement? How cool would that be? Both holes would be par 4 from the long tees. Going for 3 might find the road or the trees on either hole (#7 & #13).

This might be getting carried away, but if you considered the 3/9 and a new 4/8 locations as shared and adding a 13 (possibly shared with a 3rd #7)... you could have dual pins on all 18, plus a third location on 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 13. 42 locations using 39 or 40 pins, which would be adding 5 or 6 to the 34 we are currently using.

I've been wanting to keep scores on regular pin configurations. 36 pins would make that possible. Add some tee pad options and you have several different courses. So, I'm mostly looking forward to getting pins in on 6, 7, 9, & 14 (repair). 3 pin holes might add a little inexactness to a regular set-up, but more pins= more fun!
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

I think we ought to put 6's pin placement at McDonalds, go for a world record :twisted:
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

think the city will go for that? that would be good for public awareness of the sport though!

Post by 2 »

Place it at the drive-up? Yea 2 cheese burgers and a bird :shock: :lol:
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

A #3 large sized. what cha think 2 :twisted:
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

On a more serious note, all I'm saying, is by setting some pin placements
short will be securing the future of DG in Wichita. I myself would like to see
a 735' hole, but a Am might not appreciate it as much. As if he/she were to drive and it happen to go to it's grave(the river)and then they take another
shot going along the river and this one goes to the river, that would be at least $20 in plastic and this person hasn't finished the hole. Do you think they are gonna sacrifice another one, or go across the street to buy $20 more in plastic,I doubt it, there more than likely gonna get all pissed off,get in there car and tell all their friends that "Disc Golf Sucks". I would
rather hear them say "Disc Golf is Addictive"and they end up bringing 10
friends to play next time around and those 10 friends bring their friends and maybe even family. The more people we can get playing this game is a big +, may even mean more courses in Wichita.
The way I see it, not just the AM's need this, my son who is 5, and other kids who come out to play need this too. Although I would love to see my
boy crank out a 250' drive 3 times to four the monster 735' hole. That would be SWEEEET!!!! :D
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

If we can use a regular pin rotation schedule such as long, even-long, short, odd-long that switches every so often, the course won't be set in the same spot for very long.

Some would like to see a random set-up. Problem with that is that it's not really random. Do we flip a coin 18 times to see where the setting is? It's more of a whim of the person doing the moving. How many baskets will move and how often might turn out to be random too.

Making a schedule that we can post will let everyone know how the course will be set up, maybe even what pads were playing, and averages and records thrown in there as well.
jlew

Post by jlew »

$c0oBa wrote:I doubt it, there more than likely gonna get all pissed off,get in there car and tell all their friends that "Disc Golf Sucks". I would
rather hear them say "Disc Golf is Addictive"and they end up bringing 10
friends to play next time around and those 10 friends bring their friends and maybe even family. The more people we can get playing this game is a big +, may even mean more courses in Wichita.
I have not paid my club dues yet, so I might not have an opinion, but, I lost 11 discs total in that godforsaken river, I have retrieved a couple, but, yes I was very irritated to throw an archangel, first throw ever into the drink. I do however think that it all depends on the type of person the new golfer is, If they lose 2 discs and then give up forever, are they really the type of person who can handle the mind game of playing golf in the first place? I mean golf is ALOT more irritating sometimes then just losing some plastic. Like missed putts from 3 feet away because you were not paying attention or a nasty rollover every time you throw no matter what you do pisses me off way more. Do I want to see a 735ft hole....not really, but, I also believe it would help me strive to become a better golfer in the end. Now let's talk about those damn stickers...... Oh and yes I will be becoming a member of the club eventually, it's a matter of time and getting to know everyone, not one to blindly join anything ;)

Jason
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

Well Jason hurry up and get joined up. Ace fund is probably getting up there again, hurry before Ben takes it again. Ben is a great player here in
the dub k, his last league ace was worth $370 I believe. If your not a member it's only $50.

Also I throw doubles at Oak on Sundays, $5 entry, 100% cash payout, and
we start at 5:30p now due to it getting darker. Lots of players of diffent
skill levels,Pros,Ams,Begginer. Good People, Good Times.

If you do decide to come up to Oak and play make sure you introduce yourself. :wink:
jlew

Post by jlew »

I will be out tonight to play singles w/o a handicap because I don't have one yet, but, I will be out to play anyway. As far as Sunday's, sounds like a plan, I am going to E-Town to play on Saturday I think, so, this weekend might be out.

Speaking of Saturday, If it works out and we do it, I will have an empty seat if someone wants to go. I am waiting to hear if Q is gonna be able to come down to E-Town or not. I may go anyway if someone wants to ride along.
$c0oBa

Post by $c0oBa »

Would love to go and hang with the E-town homies, but I work at the Best
Western concentration camp and they don't believe in Saturdays off. Tell
all of E-town $c0oBa says: WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!