Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Hook a brutha up (long and drunk post)

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I would agree that the mental game is one of the most important parts when it comes tourney time.

This is where I falter, especially in putting, which should be routine.
I think my ability to access a situation and the best way to play it, is really good. But, I start thinking about how I am likely to err and I over compensate, or think I might overcompensate, so I undercompensate, etc....

I think I, and perhaps others, would do better to focus on one thing. And make small adjustments, not giving a situation too much credit, but sticking mostly with routine. Weighing the percentages is good too... I'm 80 foot out with a good tailwind and downhill. Don't go for it aggressively, because the comeback will be improbable. Nothing to gain, lots to lose. The beat magnet be good here for a lob/anhyzer stall putt, however. A lot can be said for playing the right speed in tricky/windy situations.

Back to drivers... Until a universal testing system is applied, we may never know, but it seems that some drivers are more overstable at low speeds than others. The flash and the valk always seemed high speed flippy, and low speed overstable. For D and accuracy, it would seem that something opposite would be favorable: high speed stable (fast) and low speed straight. I guess a lot of that depends on the style of throw, preference of "feel", and such.

What do you throw for spike hyzers? I've always considered this a reliable shot. What do you do when you want to limit the D of a shot? Throwing a higher spike is one way. Throwing with a more overstable driver is another (It seems like there is always a situation during a round that requires the Z Flick or even the Z-Xtreme) Slowing down to an overstable mid also does the job. If you are bad to the bone, you can throw a putter in every situation under 300'. I think throwing a slower disc is a great thing to practice, but sometimes the odds aren't in your favor as they require a lot of touch.

My mental game is waivering here.... Oh yeah, the point: You know what shot to play. Grow your confidence in sticking with your instinct.
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

How old are u Mike?In the Masters division there is a general consensus that at 45 we tend to make more dumb decisions when playing discgolf.
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

Ture dat..... :lol:
Eschew Obfuscation
doc

Post by doc »

superq wrote: If you are ok with other manufacturers discs you may want to talk to Rusco Milinium has a new mid out that is lazer beam straight DocN had one at wyco cant remember what it was.
That lazer straight disc was a Millenium QMS, 176g...looks are deceiving!! :twisted: Very gummy and translucent. I bought it for glow cuz I like to tape my light under the flightplate necessitating clearer discs. Even with the led light taped to it - it is very high speed stable and long...straight as an Aero/arrow...hardly any fade, holds any line.

Millenium has recently come out with a Sirius MS (Star-ish plastic) - supposedly slightly more overstable, and likely not as flexible.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

So Ruder, how's is going? have time to work on some things? New plastic in the bag???
osudash

Post by osudash »

T-Rude, I'm glad you posted this, and I'm glad I checked the forum because I haven't in a long time. I have been practicing a lot this winter (being laid off about a month ago has really helped with that, lol) and I have noticed a lot of good things already. I'm pretty much the same as Pat. I can throw pretty far, but I get myself into trouble with the 150-200 foot upshots, and my putting, although getting better, is still shaky. Every tournament that I can think back to last year, and all the shots I lost strokes on, were all due to not making the putts that I should have, so that's what I'm really working on now. Also, I have been working on my mental game this off season too. Really thinking what the best/easiest shot is for the hole and the risk/reward factor on EVERY shot, not just the drives. I hope to hit up most of the tournaments that Pat goes to, and maybe World Doubles with him if it's possible. My goal right now is to be able to go on a tour or semi-tour in 2008 with a friend here, but I have to get a lot better before then. As far as my bag goes, here it is:

3 Wraiths-CFR, Star, and Pro-line
1 Z pred- In my opinion the best disc ever made
2 Rocs at different worn out stages
2 Aviars for putter drives
2 soft Wizards (in case I lose one)

Hope to play with you all again next season.

Dash
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Hope this helps someone.

Through the last few weeks of practice I have paid more attention to this and was kind of put into perspective recently. I was throwing around at the little course with Joey and I was bangin an insane amount of putts. Long, short, around trees - it didn't matter. I was also throwing very good lines, exactly what I envisioned. I told him "Man I should be out someone across the country playing for money today." I decided to move up to the big course to play and met a few other guys up there. We ended up throwing down some quarters. I was 5 down after 7 holes, bogied the 8th and birdied again. Then it all fell apart. Hit a bogie, a double bogie, and another double bogie. My awesome game turned to garbage.

I looked back on it because it was a prime example of what has been happening, whether it is related to one round, two round, or four rounds. When I was killing it, I had an awesome, optomistic outlook. I was focused and knew exactly what I wanted to throw and where. My visualization was awesome and it made for executing really easy. When the game started going downhill, it is not that I was negative, it was just that I lost the focus. Everything slowly got dumbed down to simple stuff like, throw a hyzer around this tree, not taking into consideration how far I wanted it to fly before turning, if i wanted to let it float and fade off into the hyzer, or if I just wanted it stable turning the whole time. In turn the disc flew kinda like I wanted but kinda like I wanted was yielding terrible results.

Remaining focused and knowing what you plan to do is a key. Don't let yourself fall into a trap early before it is too late to realize it. If you have to remind yourself, do it. Even if you are doing good - sometimes you can be doing awesome (read above) and get so into it that you fall into the same trap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note - On the putts outside the circle I have been practicing up to 70 ft. I have strayed away from the jump putt and just been doing the one footer - recreating the same motion as I would have in a 15 footer. It takes a clean stroke and a good follow through. Both of those components have kept me from yanking shots that are farther outside than normal, it also helps translate into better drives for me; not throwing harder than I should but rather just having a more deliberate swing with a solid follow through.

Side note #2. (I forget who said it but,) "The more I practice the luckier I get."
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Ruder wrote: Side note #2. (I forget who said it but,) "The more I practice the luckier I get."
This is true. I think it is because you are missing by inches instead of feet. You tickle the branches vs. smashing into them.
BlazinPat

Worlds and Stuff

Post by BlazinPat »

Hey Dash we might as well do the Worlds Doubles since it is the 2 days before regular Pro Worlds and at the same location. As far as possibly touring in 08 with you and Zak and maybe others we'll have to see how that works with school, maybe we could make it during the summer time for like a 3 month period or so. Or just a month or 2 of playin as many tournys as we can string together during the weeks and weekends driving wherever. I dunno keep me posted cuz I might just have to try and hit you guys up on that idea. We'll obviously need to be within about 5 points or so of a 1000 rated player by that time though if we want some success on the road. We are on about the right pace too, we just gotta keep up the focus and concentration next year and see where we are at. Anyways hit me up sometime when i'm off (every other weekend and pretty much all tuesdays and thursdays starting in January) and we'll go practice some golf.

Also on what T-Rude said, I also believe that after you have the basics of the game down the main things to focus on are practicing that putting as much as possible and focus; don't let one lil mistake take you out of your groove and don't let a bad start make you have a bad round. It will go away as long as you make it go away by getting your head back in it and think positive. Also when you play a practice round play as if though you are playin a tournament, they always say you will play like you practice so keep that in mind, cuz i'm tryin to. :P Those are the two Key ingredients that I think people who are kinda in a rut need to probably really look into. Keep on givin the feedback guys, I think this forum will help a lot of people out including myself. I'll keep ya posted on the progress ( if there is any hehe ). Later
Pat Blazek #25325
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

New forum section!

So Ruder... Did you sober up or is the weather just getting bad? Does the saga continue?
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Sure. More tales of Hot Disc Golf Justice will be forthcoming.
ronconversjr

game improvement

Post by ronconversjr »

Hey Rud ,I know I`m coming in on this pretty late but I hope to help .Have you got an overstable mid yet?Z-wasp is a must have.Reasons why stable to overstable are easier to control .1.Definate landing points are easier to judge if you rely only on yourself and not on an unlucky breeze--make it turnover.2Overstable discs are simpler to predict...they go left!3As a training exercise see how much further that superfast flippy hard to control disc goes compared to say, a mid.Now think about the importance of placement on long ass holes that you can`t reach anyway(700ft+).Put yourself out of position by trying to crush and get bonus strokes...On putting,well, keep practicing short .If you don`t want to jump ,turn your body a little more sideways to the basket and use more shoulder.Try a variation of the Ron Russell putt.Come to Ponca Lake and I will give a short lesson (no not during the round)and a disc I think you`ll like.Special one time offer,More sage words of advise .Visualize -I mean really see the path you want-pick the disc which makes doing this the simplest- throw the shot ...just like you`ve been practicing.A few posts back somebody said something about lobbing a putt downhill, Don`t do this! If you don`t think that putt is makeable,floating one by only offers lo % chance of gain and hi % of loss.Instead put a low (removing "Bonus"float)shot on the ground slightly uphill or under the basket.Take unnecessary stress and extra strokes out of the mix.Conservative play always helps my game .Take the ones you can ,but not trying to "force"a shot(lo %) saves strokes.If you have`nt heard it yet,you play well and with time and confidence you will kick some serious... See you soon.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I'm not Ruder, but I liked reading your advice. I enjoyed playing with you in Wichita. Well worth the six dollars to charity. :)
doc

Post by doc »

Now that there is easily $6 worth of advice! Where do I send my money, Ron...seriously!! :D
ronconversjr

Advise

Post by ronconversjr »

Hi Doc,you" pay" for good advice just like you "pay" for a good deed ...by passing it on to somone else .When I get my position as a Bigtime paid Disc Consultant, I still won`t be charging my friends (Trying to build up karma!!!)