Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Disc Golfers who have inspired you and why.

A place for off topic discussion. Please keep it keep it clean & nice
Friz-Rocker

Disc Golfers who have inspired you and why.

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Crazy John Brooks - taught me how to make a hundred foot putt
Dan McLaren - taught me to roll
Jack Robinson - showed me how accurate a heiser drive can be
Jeff Hoepner - throwing partner who made me practice
Chad Garrison - moves from town to town making players come out of retirement
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Jack "Two Away" Robinson.... This guy first introduced me to the game. From Jack, I've learned to play more steadily (Jack's usually at most 2 shots away from in).

Early Wichita Golfers. I got hooked on the game playing pro-am doubles with these guys...

Nick Bunch had an amazing putt that would hyzer in from any distance.
Chuck "Mojo" Smith had an intensity not to be matched. King of the run up.
Smiffy wore a tye dye bandana and amazed me when he parked old HH hole 4 with his aviar.
Jeff "Jazzy" Owsley danced to his own tunes and showed a superior ability to concentrate on those tough shots.

I'm sure there are many I am overlooking here. Some players that have impressed me that I have played with in the Oz Tour....

Ron Convers Jr. How this guy can disect his playing conditions, such as the wind, has always amazed me. With a tailwind drive, he'll reach for the putter more times than not. If he's inside 40', count it.

Dwayne "CD" Steiner. The compact disc player of KC. I remember playing a round at Waterworks with him where he shot 8 or 9 under to my par round. He showed an amazing ability to throw his understable drivers perfectly flat and they would glide all the way to the hole. I have tried to emulate this technique. CD also has a huge arsenal of shots. He'll flick his putter at the hole (or in) anytime he feels it is the best shot.

Chris "Smitty" Smith. I've never before seen a player propel themselves to the top as he has done. With never a look back, this guy shows the rewards of the player that believes in theirself.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

OH ho, I don't know a ton of golfers so my list will be pretty short.

Ken Climo/Barry Schultz - For them to prove how insanely good someone can become - and when they lose it makes whoever beats them even more impressive.

Kevin Rorabaugh/Randy Brown - Both are class acts on the course and have very good composure.

Convers - The original freak I guess. Was also the first sponsored player I ever got to play with, How he bombs with such minimal effort helped my cause quite a bit.

Garrison - I'm still convinced when he was at his best that his putt cannot be matched which is why I think I put such a heavy importance on the putt in my game. He also got me into competing so I'm sure that amounts to something, or something, considering I'm all about it now.

Mace Man - He was nicer to me when I didn't know him, but none the less he made going to the tournaments a good time and offered up a lighter side to the game. Well, If I didn't give mace props I don't know who would.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
smitty

Post by smitty »

All the "O.F.'s" The people who were on top back when I was a flicker living in Ransom. Babbit, Eric, Ron, Chad. Plus a few people I have met over the last few years.

Ronald Convers - The dude showed up in Ransom at the first ever tourney. He does have a different outlook on things at times. He is never afraid to let you know when you have screwed up. He is always willing to take some time and try to help people improve their game.

Eric - Has been a STUD since I have been on the scene. I remember him killing the field at Hutch one year. Shooting back to back -11. Playing in several final 9's. Now he has kicked some butt on the national level.

Babbit - Always at the top. Can work a Roc as good as anyone. Belive it or not, I use to think he could bomb. I like watching him throw "flex" type shots.

Chad - Once again, back to the first Ransom event. He showed up playing one of his early Open events. Sundance told me that he had finished "third in the World". He also throws some of the best rollers in the state.

Randy Brown - This dude is pretty new to me. Just over the last few years. Not only does he play a great game, he never looses his cool on the course. Takes the good with the bad.

Timmy Gill - Just a cool dude. He keeps his emotions "level" on the course. I have watched him throw a shot in from 150 feet and miss a putt from 15. Same reaction after both.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

LaRon "Who Man" Harris.
Leo D.

Post by Leo D. »

Emac
Heddy
L.D.
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

Crazy John Brooks - Besides having one of the best attitudes in disc sports he isn't afraid to give you a hug just when you need it and always seems to know when that is.

CD Steiner - Level headed advice. Although sometimes when you want it least but rarely off the mark.

Pete Cashen - I wish I could heed his advice better but his slogan "Three discs in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!" is so true. And he is one of the most consistently pleasant people you will encounter on a disc golf course.

Ed Gonzales - I hope he doesn't take it the wrong way but he has shown me that playing the game and having fun, not winning, is where it's at for some of us. Finish that round no matter how badly you may be throwing. And competition is where you find it.

E-Mac - Proved that great disc golfers can be from Kansas - :D
and he's spearheading the future of the sport.

I could go on and on........
Eschew Obfuscation
doc

Post by doc »

Among others, & w/o a doubt I must give credit to my DG brutha, Henry Pohocsucut. Besides living life with a heart of gold, his demeanor on and off the course is a tribute to being human & a gentleman...and honestly giving a damn.
He and I played a lot of DG in '99...and he kept telling me he saw himself in the upcoming Final 9 of Am Worlds '99 in KC. Yup, he was the 4th guy (of 4), along with E~Mac, Sandman & Jack Smith of Minnesota. Henry is a stud. (Wish he taught me to putt... :wink: )
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Playing with Ben Maass has it's wild moments.

That guy has as much distance as anyone I've got to witness throwing. Combine that with a 400+ foot hyzer flick shot and a rhyno that dead straight and running at the basket on every shot inside 200'... and you get to see some amazing shots.

His tournament record will only improve.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Emac and sandman were in the same am worlds?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Ruder wrote:Emac and sandman were in the same am worlds?
Yup, I played like CRAP! And Sandman tore it up, took 3rd..
str8

Post by str8 »

Ron Rice -- for giving us an awesome course and words of encouragement
Kyle Klinger -- for all the things he does for this website and the KDGA
Brandon Mace -- For showing me the ropes of being a TD
Smitty -- for having the purest passion about DG
T-Rude -- fun to watch the kid mature and reach new levels
Ring

Post by Ring »

Never been inspired by another Discgolfer..Just always enjoyed the sport since I was introduced. Its not like its a hard sport or anything. Its prolly the easiest sport I've ever learned to play. You don't have to be in any kind of shape at all to play. You can be fat, skinny, tall, short ect.. I even know a dude who jacked his arm up, and started playing left handed. Anybody could be the world champ of this sport!! Its just a matter of who can afford to play everyday. My grandma could play this crap.. I've seen kids who could throw 500ft. There is nothing amazing about discgolf at all except all the differant types of people and weed.

Long live the Friz!! Best tourny in Kansas
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...

Post by 2K »

Ring wrote:Its not like its a hard sport or anything. You don't have to be in any kind of shape at all to play. You can be fat, skinny, tall, short ect. Anybody could be the world champ of this sport!!
Well, i think it's safe to say that you do have to have SOME athletic ability to play.
Ring wrote:There is nothing amazing about discgolf at all except all the differant types of people and weed.

Well I guess if you're a stud and ace twice in the same day, then nothing else seems too amazing

Ring wrote:Long live the Friz!! Best tourny in Kansas

Umm.......no
Anakha

Post by Anakha »

Ring wrote:Its not like its a hard sport or anything. You don't have to be in any kind of shape at all to play. You can be fat, skinny, tall, short ect. Anybody could be the world champ of this sport.
Change some words around here, and this will apply to any aspect of life, with very few exceptions. What I mean is, it just takes the will(and in most cases, dedication.) to want to do well.

Didn't you ever watch Reading Rainbow?:P
Ring wrote:There is nothing amazing about Discgolf.
It's amazing for me, I love it. :wink: