Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

The Rock

Salina News and info.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Mace, did you decide what you're going to do?
Ring

Post by Ring »

disc golf superhero wrote:Pardon my ignorance but what makes a PDGA sanctioned event 'better'? What are the advantages?
It dosen't make it any better, if anything its worse. More expensive, more rules, and especially more anal players. Payout is better in PDGA tournys usually. In this case it dosen't matter the tourny already draws alot of people. In my experiences Mace always pays out great, and has good trophys!

Keep the Communist PDGA away!

I'd play it either way though, its prolly the best temp course in Kansas :D
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Actually there aren't more rules in PDGA events. The KDGA uses the PDGA rules for KDGA tourneys.
Ring

Post by Ring »

Yea, but the PDGA tournys are more strict with them.

For instance... Tracy Ruder shows up late for the second round :shock:

PDGA gives him what a 7 or 8 on every hole.
KDGA 9 times out of 10 TD would let him start where his group is and as long as someone playing in the tourny walks with him go back and play the holes he missed with no penalty.

PDGA would stroke you for forgetting to turn in card or adding up score.
KDGA TD would most likely let ya turn card in with no penalty, and just tally score up when they were checking cards.

Since im just in it for the fun factor bending certain rules like that dosen't bother me.

On the other hand though I could see a more competitive player having a problem with it. And thats the anal part I was talking about. A more layed back person like me dosen't mind little things like that.

I even know about 1 time at Hutch, Scooba got 3rd in advanced. Forgot to turn his card in and didn't recieve a payout. Ranmat was TDing the tournament, and when he found out about it gave Scooba $60 or $80 bucks cash. Now thats a tourny I would go back to just for things like that.
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
smitty

Post by smitty »

The thing is, all the TD's are the same.

They are going to be cool about most things. If a person doesn't turn in their cards then they will be hunted down.

On the other hand if a person doesn't show-up they will be stroked. The conditions can and do change from the start to end of almost any round. That would be an unfair advantage.

Some things will be looked at as violations. Walking in a putt. Bettering a lie. Play the course in what ever order you want.

For most people yourself included. It shouldn't matter what level of play at a tourney. You will follow all the rules. It is the right thing to do.

The rule that freaks most people out and causes most of the problem is:
804.05 A4

If you don't know what that rules is. You will have to look it up.
Austin

Post by Austin »

What it boils down to is PDGA or no PDGA, it is still the Rock. I don't care how much it cost to play or how anal people are about the rules. I am there to play my favorite course in a completive atmosphere.

68 Days until April 21st!
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Austin wrote:What it boils down to is PDGA or no PDGA, it is still the Rock. I don't care how much it cost to play or how anal people are about the rules. I am there to play my favorite course in a completive atmosphere.

68 Days until April 21st!
Bring on the cliffs!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Is the big hole (would be the longest hole on the oz tour) going to be back this year?

There are parts of each Rock course that I have really liked over the years. Some comments on last year's course...

Hole 1 is kick butt any way you set it up. I like the classic tee a little better than the top tee, but they are both good. Pin in the middle for at least 2 of the rounds.

The hole going back over the water should have the basket on top at least twice. That is a killer placement!

I love that dogleg hole (Last year's hole 3). Just a classic. I remember playing this hole as a straight hole going backwards toward where the tee is. That was a great hole too, but not quite as good.

Hole 4 going back downhill to the corner. That long pin placement in the corner is wicked. I would put it there 2 of the rounds.

Hole 5 has just enough trees in play to keep it interesting. A long bomber could throw hyzer depending on the wind (always gotta consider the wind at the Rock).

Hole 6 uphill with trees on both sides plays tougher than the length would suggest.

Hole 7 is an awesome bomber hole. Last year there was a bulldozer parked behind the hole, so the pin didn't move. This was one of the better locations, but I'd of like to see it farther and to the left more to at least make the anhyzer the prefered shot. Last year we were playing the street skip (which was fun) with decent success. Problem was that the other side wasn't played OB. It should have been.

Hole 8 is great. Plays uphill and over some large bushes into a group of pines. Sometimes you can get a great 3 here. Sometimes not. Better hope there isn't a head wind (there will be).

I liked hole 9 just because you don't get too many holes that are this uphill. Add some interesting hole locations (around the tree next to the road and way at the top) and this wide open hole gets tough.

Hole 10 was another fun big downhill bomber. I did not like last years tee though. I was not level and not as good as the previous one at the top.

Hole 11 played back up to the top. There is a short of the road righty hyzer and a pin across the road that really brought lay-up into question for most players. The one I really liked though, was the one that was in between 4 metal posts across the road and way off to the left. This brought a crazy anhyzer over the trees into play. We didn't use this placement last year.

Hole 12 was subtle. Tricky green made crazy things happen. I did see some crazy long putts on this hole. Lots of routes from the tee that can be good or bad...

Hole 13 is the big air shot over the trees. Though long, it should be simple. The wind is the enemy here; don't turn it over. Mark Salada aced this hole one year. Only ace I've ever seen over 400'.

Hole 14 is the one that used to be the huge one over the soccer fields. One of the funnest drives ever. The rest of the hole was a little too open though. I think if the long bomber was revisited, the pin should be placed duecable to many players one round and dueceable to a very good pro throw one round. It would still average over 3 probably.

If you played this hole, you'd have to bring back the dike hole, which with the wind, was always interesting.

Hole 14 with the island green was cool too. The rules on the hole should be clear to everyone. I think you had to "touch" land on the island for an OB shot to be played from the island. Otherwise it was drop zone.

My favorite layout for the rest of the course might be the hole that goes down through the trees followed by the "up and over" shot by the river. I don't know that this is really feasable anymore though.

Hole 15 has a good pin that is close enough to the water to make it really interesting, but not too close. The main problem I see is that 15's tee is right in the best flight path for 16's fairway (roller or turnover). The other flights are too risky through the trees and leave a tough shot to the pin at best. I'm not sure what the best resolution would be. Probably just moving one tee or the other just a bit. Placing 16's pin up on the dike would be pretty nuts. Maybe halfway up?

Hole 17 is a great hole because it encourages some curvy flights. The combination of the narrow opening, uphill, one big tree, and lots of OB pavement makes the hole very entertaining.

Hole 18 should be a gimme birdie. It can be disasterous if you get a rollaway putt. I'm surprised someone hasn't aced this one. Maybe I just don't remember.

This is probably my least favorite hole on the course. I know it does seem like a welcome break after a long round. If the course plays the big kahuna this year and adds the dike shot, this is the one I'd scratch (for an even 18 holes).

With this configuration, it would be a bit of a walk to get to 15's tee (this would then be 16's tee) after the dike hole. Maybe an option here would be to play the hole following the dike hole... From: on top of the dike and To: the island. This would take the place of the current hole 15. That would be cool. Best of both worlds. There would still be the problem of one hole too many and hole 18 would seem the best to leave out. Maybe for the final round some crazy hole could go from 17's tee to 18's bucket?!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Is the big hole (would be the longest hole on the oz tour) going to be back this year?
I doubt it. That is all soccer field now.
Hole 15 has a good pin that is close enough to the water to make it really interesting, but not too close. The main problem I see is that 15's tee is right in the best flight path for 16's fairway (roller or turnover). The other flights are too risky through the trees and leave a tough shot to the pin at best. I'm not sure what the best resolution would be.
I know what shot you are talking about and I agree. I am not sure where else you could put the tee for 15. I guess you could put it next to the building. I am not sure if it would take the angle away from hole 15 and make it too straight of a shot.
Hole 18 should be a gimme birdie. It can be disasterous if you get a rollaway putt. I'm surprised someone hasn't aced this one. Maybe I just don't remember. This is probably my least favorite hole on the course. I know it does seem like a welcome break after a long round.
I am not a big fan of this hole either. Since I am in advanced I usually play it with anywhere from 4 to 8 holes left in the round. I always tend to look over it knowing I am going to hole 1. I think if the Rock were a permanent course we would not want this hole. It would cause to much erosion and is very slippery during bad weather.

I have watched people over drive it from the tee then turn around and completely miss a putt. Their come back putt is from 3/4 of the way down the hill. In that aspect it is a good hole.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

This year I will not have it PDGA because it is just coming up to quick and I'm not sure if this short of sanctioning would bring that many extra players. Also another problem I have with the amount of local players that play this event and only this event I don't want to have to charge them extra.

As far as giving strokes for not turning in score cards I have been known to give out strokes for that. :lol:
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I think last year's config was probably the best so far. The earlier post was just in case it was possible to bring the monster back. I don't know that it's possible to "reserve" soccer fields for disc golf.

It's always easier to suggest tweaks and such after the more difficult designing work has already been done. Other than preferred pin locations (Holes 2,4,7, 9, 11, 16), the only suggestions I have are...

Hole 7) Make across the road OB.
Hole 10) Move the tee back up to the top.
Hole 15) Move the tee out of 16's fairway.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

26 days and counting!
Austin

Post by Austin »

MOthrows wrote:26 days and counting!
I am ready!
Austin

Post by Austin »

I just looked at my calender and I am counting 29 days to go. Either way there is less than a month. I need to start going out there once a week to get a feel for some of the shots again.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Sounds good to me.