Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
Dirty Dave

Re: Colwich

Post by Dirty Dave »

I plan on coming Sunday. I'm not sure if I can do cleanup or not. Depends if I have the time or not.
My disc is bigger than your disc
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Bill has a list of things to get done out there. One of which is cleaning out below a bridge that is damming up the creek. Can anyone bring waders?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Bill has a busy schedule, but says he can probably make it out to get this going.

Right now, the plan for work is around 1pm Saturday and 9am Sunday. That would be after league at 10ish Saturday and before league 1:00pm Sunday. I know I won't be able to make it Sunday before 1pm.

If I have to work, I won't be able to run league. I won't know for sure until Friday, but I will post back. If someone else wants to run it, they will be responsible for getting me the money and written results. If you just want to play for $5 non-ACDGC that is fine, but it has to be decided before play starts.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Looks like I have off work. So I'll be showing up at 10:00am to run league. Hope I'm not the only one there, I got other stuff to do. We'll work on the course after league.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I'll be there tomorrow. Please come out if you can. Please bring any saws or glove if you can. Dress warm. We'll do league at just after 10 and work on the course after that. I'll do as much as I can tomorrow. I won't be able to come early Sunday. I may not be able to make it at all. I'll post back tomorrow. Let's get this course back in shape for the tourney. We won't have another league out there before then.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Big thanks to Plamen & Josh Hull for making this happen! Would have rather been at Pratt or maybe in Texas, where they aren't experiencing negative degree wind chills.

I had to borrow a saw and the 3 of us hacked at some mean hedge trees today. Only got about half of what I wanted to see get done, but it was a good start. And between looking the course over and looking Bill's notes over, I now have a good idea what needs to be done.

Spent most of the time on hole #13, giving haircuts. Tried to trim around tees and greens on many holes, but several we couldn't get to. Saw locked up when we were cutting near 12's green.

If anyone goes out there to play and has access to a chainsaw, please take some time to work on the course. I could go through hole by hole notes, but basically any place that has crazy thorns below 6' high should be trimmed up. Many places where new growth is taking place off trees near tees or greens. Really easy to trim that up and if it's not done over the off season, it's 10x the work next year. No more leagues out there after this weekend since we are switching to weekday league week after next. We could get another work weekend going when there aren't tournaments, say March 21st or 22nd?

The bridges are another item which needs immediate attention. The bridges on 3 & 6 have been vandalized. Jumping on them has caused them to break in the middle. They can still be crossed, but they could be dangerous if wet. Also, the south bridge is out on hole 7. I heard there was one other bridge on 17's fairway over by the blue tee that isn't currently being used. But we need more material. Bar trusses or mobile home frames or some huge 2x12 planks would work. Bill has yokes and equipment for puting them in. Does anyone know where we could get material for a bridge? I didn't have time to measure them, but most need to be 20'+ long.

Plamen did spend some time clearing out the dam in the creek on hole 3.

I'm not going to be at Colwich tomorrow. Bill is super busy and can't be there either. If people want to work on the course, all you need is one chainsaw and a couple of guys to drag brush. If someone wants to run league, give me a call. 612-7896. I know today & tomorrow aren't the best days for working out there. But when is? Lots of rounds played out there. Randy & Marcus picked up bags and bags of trash littered throughout the course. I tried my best to get things schedule early, posted on course bulletins, people informed at league, etc. Sorry I won't be there tomorrow, but I was there all day today and am thoroughly exhausted.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Pironix has an excuse, he was in Pratt.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

When you cut little trees down, you should put Tordon on them to kill the roots so you don't have to cut them next year.
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

sorry I couldn't make it out there... Texas was cold w/ 36 mph gust too.... thanks for all the work you do mike. i might go out there with Marcus today and will try to trim some thorns up.
"Power means nothing without control young turtles" -Master Splinter
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Bill and Randy are making new bridges out of telephone poles w/ a tin top. They are going to do this Friday afternoon or Saturday. I'll try to post back when he gives me a time. They need help. Might be some chainsaw/ dragging work as well. I know I didn't get even close to finished with that, but I don't have a chainsaw.
ranmatt

Post by ranmatt »

:D The course is looking better than it ever has, if the weather holds out it should be a great event hope to see a hudge Wichita crowd out there. Bring everyone you can get and come on. In a matter of months you wont be able to even walk some parts of this great course. :lol:
discscout

Post by discscout »

I think you need to postpone.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I don't know if this course will ever dry out now. I play here regularly and i have been meaning to get out there when you guys had your work days but havent been available. I will try to make it to the next one if it exists. I have noticed that the south bridge on the 18th has buckled now too.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Went out to Colwich on wednesday and it was a muddy mess. We still had fun though. Although the wind got us a couple times but it wasn't so bad that we couldn't enjoy the weather. Even had some fun Mooing at the cows and getting them to moo back. we laughed our butts off. Guess you just had to be there. Whats up with the missing bridge out on i think 12 or 13. I know there was one out there before cause i had helped install that one a year or two ago with bill and a bunch of guys from the club? also noticed out near 14 or 15 that there is a bridge out there that has no purpose for the discers . Is that posibly the bridge from the other hole ? .

Well any ways i sure hope others got a chance to get out in the sun wednesday and throw some plastic. Sure helpd my cabin fever.
Chain smoker
discscout

Post by discscout »

Clean up this Sat and Sunday with time to play league. For those that help a decent amount of time, the club has offered to buy lunch. Plan on trimming the current course and doing bridges another day with the help of the city. I plan to be there by 8:30. I will bring plenty of gloves to help with the thorn problem for people pulling brush to the piles.