Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

X OUT's & FACTORY SECONDS - What exactly are they?

Disc golf equipment- discs, accessories, targets, etc.
PETRIE

X OUT's & FACTORY SECONDS - What exactly are they?

Post by PETRIE »

Okay, I've been wondering what exactly are disc golf X-OUT's and FACTORY SECONDS?

The factory miss-prints seem pretty self explanatory. The disc is fine, the stamp is not.

But the FACTORY SECONDS are clearly not stamp issues, because they've actually stamped them as FACTORY SECONDS.
So, what exactly is wrong with these discs?
  • 1. A few bubbles in the plastic? (I could see that making them unbalanced/lopsided)
    2. Are they going to fly like a disc with the same name that's not a FACTORY SECOND?
    3. Heck, are they going to fly at all?
    4. Or should they just be used with your dog and get chewed up?
Last edited by PETRIE on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PETRIE

Re: X OUT's & FACTORY SECONDS - What exactly are they?

Post by PETRIE »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by PETRIE on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach_Keys

Post by Zach_Keys »

I have a Star Valkyrie and a Champion Max in my disc bag. And also various other X Out discs in my "Tub" of discs.

A number of things could happen to be a X Out or Factory second. One is bubbles. Yes you can have a bubble or two but you aren't affecting the flight of the disc.
I took a Regular Star Valkyrie and a X Out Valkyrie and they flew the same. Some have different plastic specks in it from the previous molding process.
Now if the disc has a warped flight plate, then it may or may not be the same ol' disc you came to love.

If your on a fixed budget and can't get the latest and greatest try buying a few x outs. If you do in fact like that disc you can by some regulars. Discraft also has the same deal. but they are called factory misprints. Not sure where to get those. I usually get my X Out's from Discgolfvalues.com.
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I have bought some "misprints" from Discraft (you can get them on their site). They are factory seconds like you mentioned above for X outs. Discraft puts a mini misprint stamp on the bottom. It has no color so sometimes they are hard to see. With Discraft, you never know what you are going to get. My first ever order (several years ago), I actually got 7 first run Z Buzzz'!!!! 8) I still have a couple of them left and they are sweet! The hot stamps had some very slight problems, that's it! Of course, now you would get what they are currently running.

I think Xouts/misprints are a great buy! Sometimes they are not the same, but can be better (if you like the way they fly), and are for sure cheaper! If you need practice discs or are on a budget, I say use them!
Zach_Keys

Post by Zach_Keys »

I've heard from multiple people that X Outs are and aren't allowed in tourneys. Is this true?
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

They're fine to use in tournaments. I think this used to be in the rules Q&A on PDGA website, but don't know where to find it now.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

mrsenortyler wrote:They're fine to use in tournaments. I think this used to be in the rules Q&A on PDGA website, but don't know where to find it now.

Yep, in the Q and A section on the rules page...

2006.34 : Remaindered discs
Question - Are remaindered discs (for example: Xed out discs, factory seconds, or hot stamping rejects) of PDGA-approved models legal for use in PDGA competitions?
Response - Applicable Rules: 802.01
Conclusion - Since these discs were produced from the molds for PDGA-approved models, they have already been indirectly approved by the PDGA Technical Standards Committee, and as such they are legal for PDGA play, as long as they meet the overall restrictions (weight, rim sharpness, flexibility, etc) as outlined by the PDGA Technical Standards document.
The committee understands that many of these discs may have slight molding imperfections but it is our opinion that they still perform essentially the same as other production discs and they meet the standards under which their original models were tested.
Players always have the right (per 802.01 D) to question the legality of a disc used in competition. In such cases the Tournament Director will make the final call.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Thanks. That's the sort of information I was looking for. I especially like them because I like doing my own custom dyes at home so i look for the factory rejects that barely have any stamp on them . . . there's less that I have to remove.

Now that I'm thinking about it, is there any place you can buy discs that don't have stamps on them AND aren't factory seconds?
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

Zach_Keys

Post by Zach_Keys »

Not that i'm aware of. Btw how do you dye your discs?
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Innova makes some discs with the "bottom stamp" so they have a nude top. It is VERY rare to find innova discs that don't have any stamp, although they pop up on ebay now and then.

Star Destroyer
Dx Valk
Dx Roc
DX Aviar

maybe a few other models?

I know Rusco has some bottom stamped Buzzz's from D-craft. I have also seen a few Discraft discs with no stamp, but they were mostly small runs. Rusco also had those.
Lucky4ever247

Post by Lucky4ever247 »

I've owned a few and you can add a DX Banshee to the list of bottom stamps.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I use good ol' Rit Dye mixed with nail polish remover (with acetone) to dye discs.

I use Con-Tact paper to do the masking. (1) Trace the pattern on to the contact paper, (2) stick the Con-Tact paper on the disc, (3) cut out the pattern with an Exacto type knife, (4) remove the contact paper on the areas that you want to dye.

YES, dying discs this way is time consuming and can create a HUGE mess if you are not careful . . so it may not be for everyone.

All of these items can be found at your local Wal-Mart for a couple bucks.

Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.