Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Manhattan area news and info
PETRIE

Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Post by PETRIE »

Now that ALL the approval processes have been cleared and ALL the required funds have been raised, WE ARE FIRMLY INTO THE CONSTRUCTION PHASE.

Here's a few points of interest for this project's construction phase.
  • 1. THE SAME TEMPORARY SIGNS THAT YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT ARE STILL UP THERE FOR NOW. FEEL FREE TO GO SCOUT IT OUT ANY TIME. HERE'S A MAP (w/ alt pins shown) TO TAKE WITH YOU --->http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/453 ... 90a8_b.jpg

2. THE CITY'S FORESTRY DEPT. HAS ALREADY STARTED CLEARING AND TRIMMING TREES FOR THE WOODED FAIRWAYS. ONLY THE FORESTRY DEPT. STAFF ARE TO TRIM OR CUT DOWN TREES. DISC GOLFERS ARE NOT TO CUT ANYTHING. TREE TRIMMING WILL BE DONE BY, OR ON, MAY 1st.

3. ON MARCH 30th, THE PARKS & REC. DEPARTMENT RECEIVED OUR BASKETS. THEY ARE DISCRAFT CHAINSTAR BASKETS. WE WILL HAVE 9 HOLES, WITH 5 OF THEM HAVING ALTERNATE PLACEMENTS, PLUS WE WILL BE INSTALLING ONE PRACTICE BASKET NEAR THE SHELTER.

4. A COUPLE GENERAL SIGNS HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE, ONE FOR THE PARKING LOT AND ONE FOR THE TRAIL HEAD. THOSE WILL BE INSTALLED VERY SOON.

5. THE CITY OF MANHATTAN PARKS & RECREATION SUPERINTENDENT HAS SCHEDULED A WORK DAY FOR SATURDAY, MAY 1st. AMONG THE PEOPLE ATTENDING THE WORK DAY, THERE WILL BE A HAND FULL OF PARKS & REC. EMPLOYEES, A SPECIFIC YOUTH GROUP OF 50 +/- MEMBERS, PROBABLY SOME KIDS FROM THE NEARBY NEIGHBORHOODS, AND OF COURSE SOME DISC GOLFERS.

6. CONCRETE TEE PAD PLACEMENTS WILL BE PUT IN PLACE IN LATE SUMMER. WE ARE WAITING SO WE CAN "MAKE SURE" WE GET THE TEE PLACEMENTS RIGHT, PLUS NEEDING DRY SOIL ON SITE TO MAKE LESS OF A MESS (don't want ruts, getting stuck, etc.)

7. THE EARLY STAGES OF GETTING TEE BOX SIGNS, AND THE MAIN COURSE SIGN, ARE UNDER WAY. NO FINAL DESIGNS DECISIONS CAN BE MADE UNTIL #6 ABOVE PROGRESSES A LITTLE.
If you want up to the minute updates, follow my posts on http://twitter.com/warnerparkdg. That is where my most recent information will be posted.
Last edited by PETRIE on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

PETRIE

Re: Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Post by PETRIE »

Are you considering coming out to the Saturday, May 1st work day?
If you are, here's what will be going on so we will certainly be able to put you to work.
  • 1. Hauling lots of trees and branches out of the timber, and placing them in cleared areas for the Forestry Dept. to pick them up.
    2. Painting over graffiti that exists on the shelter structure.
    3. Putting down gravel and limestone screenings along the many, many trails that will serve this disc golf course.
    4. Spreading gravel under the shelter structure.
    5. Getting to know your fellow disc golfers a little better. :wink:
    6. and much, much more ... (check back soon)

(I will add additional tasks to this list as I become aware of them)

So, will I be seeing you at Warner Park on May 1st?

p.s. At this point, I have been told that the Parks & Rec. staff members will be doing the digging for the pin placements, plus pouring the required concrete for the ground sleeves.

disclizard

Post by disclizard »

I am guessing you may have already posted direstions to the town and to the course some where already in a forum. could you post it again if you have ? I am coming from wichita and do not know this state well could you post directions for us please?
Chain smoker
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I would love to help, but the rock at salina is that weekend. You think you could schedule for a diffrent day, or are you going to have another day to work on it?
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Good to talk to you at the tourney in Herington on Saturday. Yes, we'll have to meet at the Ft. Riley course soon and let the plastic fly!

For those of you out there in cyber space who are waiting for an answer to DurtyDog's questions, NO we cannot reschedule the first big work day (May 1st). The City Parks & Rec. Dept set the date of the Work Day, not Mark or myself. The reason for this is there's going to be more than just disc golfers working on the course that day so finding a good date for everyone was not easy.

However, if we don't get as much done on May 1st as we expect (or if's a rainy day), we may have to have a second work day. If that end's up being the case, I'll send you a text message, or post info. about it here.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

JakeT,
I hate to disappoint you and ToJo, but it's doubtful us disc golfers will be directly involved in digging the holes. We may not even need to help set the ground sleeves in the concrete either (that is yet to be decided). See below.

For those of you that have not gone up there yet, we will still have plenty of work to do on the work day. There's more than just installing baskets to be done at this park. It has gone pretty much unused / abandon for years so it's needing a little sprucing up.

Regarding digging the holes & mounting the sleeves:

The last time I talked to the Parks & Rec. Superintendent, he was contemplating having his staff dig all the holes with a skid steer mounted post hole digger (see below). Considering how prevalent the rock is up there, I'm all for that plan. In addition, he was concerned about the safety of having "a lot of people" around while the skid steer is working. So, I think the plan is to have Parks & Rec. dig all the holes sometime before the May 1st work day.

Regarding setting the ground sleeves in concrete, last time I talked to them they were considering installing each ground sleeve in a round irrigation sprinkler box (see below) in order to keep them in good shape while that sleeve is not in use. Parks & Rec. has not made a final decision if they are going to install all the ground sleeves prior to, or during the May 1st work day.

Finally, NO I have not heard when the work day starts. I imagine sometime just before or after 8am. Personally, I'm not sure I will be able to sleep the night before so I may be out there at the break of dawn! :D

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

For those of you that have not been up to Warner Park's disc golf course in a few weeks, the City's Forestry guys did some more pruning TODAY!

Even though the pruning on holes #5 and #8 are not exactly done, they are really starting to take shape!

So, if you've got a few minutes you might want to go check it out.

kewley

Post by kewley »

It's good to hear people are out ejoying the course already! We saw a group last time we were there to tweak a few things.

Looking forward to seeing you May 1st,

MK
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

LET THE WARNER PARK CONSTRUCTION BEGIN ! ! !
(No. I'm not just talking about tree pruning this time)

Be sure to keep checking this link for the next couple weeks to see all the progress we're making.
(I plan to post a zillion photos)

Or of course follow the progress at http://twitter.com/warnerparkdg (including photographs).

:D

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Here's a few photos from today's activities.
The City crews were out there getting everything ready for the Work Day coming up on SATURDAY, MAY 1st.

If you would like to volunteer a few hours of your time, we'll see you there on Saturday morning.

Quick pic of the first ever disc golf fairway mowing at Warner Park!

The City Parks & Rec. crew arrives to start the preliminary work.

The bobcat with large auger bit moves in to drill the first hole (it's the practice area basket).

There it is! One hole in the ground ready for a ground sleeve, an irrigation box cover and a little concrete.

Look out! The gravel for under the shelter has arrived!

Here comes the second truck load of gravel.

WAIT! MY DISCS ARE UNDER THAT PILE OF GRAVEL (just kidding).

They mounted a trash can bracket too. Bonus equipment I didn't know about!

Hole number 6 is mowed and ready for ground sleeve & basket.
Last edited by PETRIE on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

As the work day draws closer, it sounds like we're going to have a lot of help out there Saturday.

So if you're struggling to find time, don't worry about changing your plans just to help out.
For example, I certainly don't want to steal anyone away from the tourney in Salina on Saturday.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Friday turned out to be a nice day at Warner Park despite the toad-soaker of a rain storm the night before.
Here's a few photos of what we accomplished today. Mostly just poking holes & setting boxes. :)

WOW! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE FIT THE BOBCAT DOWN FAIRWAY #1? NICE!

DRILLING THE HOLE FOR BASKET NUMBER 8. I DIDN'T KNOW THEY'D TAKE THE BOBCAT UP THERE...

THE BOBCAT LEAVING FAIRWAY NUMBER 8 AFTER DOING THE DEED. LOOK OUT BELOW!

DRILLING THE HOLE FOR BASKET NUMBER 2. LUCKY WE COULD GET THIS HOLE DUG!

WE HAD TO DO SOME HUNTING FOR A SPOT ON NUMBER 4. LOTS OF ROCKS AT WARNER PARK!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, WE DO HAVE ONE BASKET INSTALLED AT WARNER... THE PRACTICE BASKET.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

IF YOU ARE AT A COMPUTER SATURDAY, YOU CAN FOLLOW OUR WORK DAY PROGRESS (LIVE) AS I PROVIDE UPDATES AT http://www.twitter.com/warnerparkdg [/size]

smitty

Post by smitty »

Looks pretty cool. If I get to come to the Little Apple, I look forward to checking them out.

I am going to attempt to move this thread to the Manhattan section of the forum.