Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Manhattan area news and info
PETRIE

Re: Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Post by PETRIE »

I stumbled across some old photos, from last year, of the shelter. I couldn't resist posting these "before and after" photos to put our project into perspective. The park does not seem like the same park that it was last summer. This 10+ acre part of the park had long since been forgotten by the public and pretty much abandon, except for producing a few hay bales once a year.

I have no doubt some people thought that we were crazy and that we would never see it through.

BEFORE

AFTER

So if you're wishing you had a disc golf course in your town, don't shy away from unused, discarded land. That might be exactly where you should build a course. Start asking questions if you can use the land, tell people you're ready to do the work that's needed. Find a way to get it done!
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

Great conclusion to the Warner Park story! The course looks great.

So... when's the planning for the back 9 begin? :D
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Looks good guys.

Are those tee number markers up? I may stop by and check it out when I come up for the LAO on Friday.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Yes, we currently have very visible temporary tee box markers and a few other small signs to help find a couple tough to find tee boxes. They are nearly waist high and are a very visible white color with black letters.

With that said, it if you want to print out a course map, we've got one posted on the DG Course Review site. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_fi ... b3af67.pdf

Our permanent course signage has not been ordered yet, nor have our concrete pads been poured. Our plan has been to get the baskets in first, then fine tune tee box placements and signage after we play the course for a little while.

mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Good idea. Maybe I'll go out there on Friday... If I see Rick out there, maybe I can get him registered for the KDGA! :) (He keeps trying to avoid me!) :lol:
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

rlangton wrote:Great conclusion to the Warner Park story! The course looks great.

So... when's the planning for the back 9 begin? :D

Not so fast Mr. Langton. The next steps are to get the concrete tee box and tee signs installed. :P

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

mrsenortyler wrote:Good idea. Maybe I'll go out there on Friday... If I see Rick out there, maybe I can get him registered for the KDGA! :) (He keeps trying to avoid me!) :lol:
Senor, I plan on going to Warner Park after work Friday (5:30 +/-) and see what disc golfers roll in. I've already started to hear some players talk about doing a random doubles round starting at 6pm +/-. I will be sure to bring the key to the baskets so we can play every placement the course has to offer.

I didn't even know I was avoiding you. :P I thought I was just taking my own sweet time deciding when to join... But that's no more. If you bring that KDGA swag I keep hearing about, Friday I will sign up, pay up, and pick out a disc and t-shirt.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Sorry if these photos are mega lame, but we decided it was time to get the factory Discraft Chainstar stickers and basket numbers installed.
We put them on Thursday night...

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

We are working on getting some some sweet signs for our course!!!!
Here's a sneak peek at the general look of the artwork you'll be seeing...

Last edited by PETRIE on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

Very nice art!
Got a date for teepad installs yet? :)
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

The short answer is NO. We don't yet have a firm date. I will let you know when it becomes more clear.

Generally speaking, the main course sign will be manufactured and erected first, then the manufacturing and installation of the tee pads and tee signs will follow.

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

That's awesome to hear Danny that the course brought you in to the sport. I hope you really enjoy it, I know I have for the past 10+ years. Rick and Mark (the course designers) are great guys that I'm sure would love to get in a round with you sometime. Your artwork looks great.
Chucker9

Post by Chucker9 »

I am from Wichita, but I come to Manhatten to play twice a year. The story about walking the dog and getting hooked on Disc golf is totally awesome. The changes and development going on in Manhatten are great and it's nice to see the involvement. That post about "getting hooked" is exactly what is needed for our sport. Keep going and I'm sure you'll have more posts like it. Good job you guys. Looking forward to my next trip to the "Land of Purple".
Mike
God,Family,Discgolf,DenverBroncos,Sooners...Says it all for me.
kewley

Post by kewley »

Danny,

Glad you enjoy the couse. I'm sure I will run into you out there.

Mark
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Danny,
I gotta admit it's cool to hear that one of the park neighbors has already taken up the sport (the baskets were installed approx 70 days ago). Did you get an invitation last summer when we had an on site "open house" for the neighbors to see the concept? Either way, I'm glad you like what you're seeing.

Regarding the signs, I greatly appreciate the offer. Based on what I've seen on your site it would be cool to hear what you'd propose.

However I think it's a little late for us to change the game plan for course signage. What you see out there right now are temporary signs. The plan has been to play the course for a while with the permanent baskets and temporary signs so we could make sure the tee box placements are "just right". Next step is to get the main course and tee signs made now that everything is in place and feels right. Mark and I have been working with the City Admin. and a local sign contractor, to design custom course signage. We are on pace to have the sign designs done this week. Then all will be left to do is wait for the City crews to manufacture the metal frames for the signs.

By the way, I now have dog envy. I wished my dog would find my discs. All she wants to find is the car so she can go home. :?

Hope to see you on the course sometime soon. So, if you see a guy with K-State purple shoulder straps ("quad shocks") for his disc golf bag, that's me.

Rick