Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Manhattan area news and info
rlangton

Re: New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Post by rlangton »

Yea I've played it 5 times or more. Fun course, very long holes. Definitely one for working on your drives. :)
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I was trying to contact Ft Riley about getting the pads placed.. Nobody knew what I was talking about. I am going to get it done when I get back there. It is easier to do stuff in person.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I called 30+ people at Ft Riley and found out the baskets was purchased with goverment funds. That means I cant get them donated for the Manhattan courses. They are not mowing the grass at the course this year either. I will post some pictures on here later. Its pretty sad seeing grass growing thru the bottom of new baskets on a nice course....
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

WOW!

It takes most of us a lot of work to get an chunk of land approved for the sport, then to get the funds for the equipment, that it's really disappointing to hear when something like this happens. :( Those baskets can't be more that a couple years old!

I'm not too worried about not getting to use the baskets in Manhattan. I think raising money for nine more baskets at Warner will be much easier than the first nine. However, I'm really disappointed to hear that one of my "local" courses is basically dying on the vine.

Have you ever heard why they didn't finish what they started?

I'll bet if they would have put up some very basic tee box signs plus a simple course map sign people would have started playing it.

The location might be a little bit out of the way on base, but there has to be more to it than that. Does anyone else know of a military base with a disc golf course? Maybe it's too boring of a sport for most soldiers. ? . ? .
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

On second thought, those baskets from Ft. Riley sure would look nice at the River Pond course at Tuttle Creek!

I wonder if the fact that the Corps of Engineers is in charge of the River Pond is close enough to being the same agency. :lol:

Or, I wonder if we could facilitate a deal for Tuttle to buy some "used" baskets from Ft. Riley?

kewley

Post by kewley »

I called 30+ people at Ft Riley and found out the baskets was purchased with goverment funds. That means I cant get them donated for the Manhattan courses. They are not mowing the grass at the course this year either. I will post some pictures on here later. Its pretty sad seeing grass growing thru the bottom of new baskets on a nice course....
Thanks for checking Ryan. I would be happy if they just mowed it. I havent been over there this year because of Warner but would like to play some of those holes again. I agree though, if they are not going to maintain the course it would make sense to donate the baskets to courses that the soldiers play.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Yeah the bad part is when they are done with them they give they will give them to a place to basically scrap them...
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

When that time comes, just tell them that I specialize in this sort of scrap metal then give them my phone number. I even offer a free haul off service. :D

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

This is really strange. Is the reason they're not maintaining the course because it's not being used enough? I would agree that a little signage would go a long way. This course is not out of the way for soldiers who live on base, and I bet it would become very popular if it were ever finished. If any efforts are being expended towards those in charge, I hope it's focused more on "saving the course" then scavenging the baskets.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I know there are plenty of times i would rather play there than drive to Manhattan. I am going to talk to a person that works for the post commander tomorrow. See if they will move them to a place that is being mowed... There is a spot a block from my house that would be perfect!!!!!!!! At least put 9 in somewhere...
rlangton

Post by rlangton »

.. and the vultures circle their prey.. lol :twisted:
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I thought about getting the baskets in Manhattan a few weeks ago. I thought about putting them some where else on post a couple days ago.. I was thinking of my fellow golfers first!
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Sorry to sound like a vulture. I just don't want to see baskets go to waste. I would be thrilled if these stated right where they are and they added signs (plus kept mowing it).

I hope your new location proposal works... I'm just hoping it's in a location that I can play (b/c I'm a civilian).

durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

PurpleRick wrote:Sorry to sound like a vulture. I just don't want to see baskets go to waste. I would be thrilled if these stated right where they are and they added signs (plus kept mowing it).

I hope your new location proposal works... I'm just hoping it's in a location that I can play (b/c I'm a civilian).
I was hoping they would add the signs and mow too.... It just don't look like it is going to happen for a long time. The place that I was thinking they could move some baskets to is behind houses and around a park. The area is kinda horseshoe shaped. It is mowed weekly..

It would have some great shot that I have seen just driving by it. Anyone would be able to play it... Especially me! It is a couple blocks from my house.
kewley

Post by kewley »

They mowed the #17 basket as well. I'm sure Rick will post a picture soon.