Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Thomas Park Workday

Salina News and info.
Austin

Re: Thomas Park Workday

Post by Austin »

We are having a work day. What is it? Thursday at 6?
Austin

Post by Austin »

We has a good workday last Saturday. It was Harvey, Buddy, Coach, and myself.

We did get a bit of work done. Hole 7 is ready for its alt pin. Hole 10 is looking way better. Removed maybe half of the dead trees that were still in the way. Its not far from getting its alt pin.

There is still a bit of work to do out there.

Holes that need dead trees removed. 3, 4, 9, and 10.
Holes that need down trees removed. 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, and 17.
Holes that need alts installed. 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18.
Installing alts isn't hard. Hole 3, 7, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, and 18 have no or very little tree work to make it happen.

If there is a time or day that works for you to do work days, let me know. 10am on Saturday works good for a lot of us, but I would be willing to work whenever.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

The parks dept is ready to do work out at Thomas. So how about Sat Oct 30 we get a big crew of us out there to get it ready for them. They going to pour 4 tee pads at a time but we have to get it ready for them
disc golf superhero

Post by disc golf superhero »

I'll either be there or St. Louis that day.
pschmidt

Post by pschmidt »

K-State v. Oklahoma State starts at 11:00 am on the 30th. Austin would say I need to get my priorities straight.

Go State!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Football (like everything on TV) is a control device for the stupid.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

Just a reminder that this saturday we will be having a work day at 10am. All we will be doing is setting six forums for the tepads. Bring a spade if you have one. Today Bob with the city will be scraping the ground so all we will have to do dig a small footing around the edge.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Wow, what a work day! My arm is sore from swinging a hammer. Glad I don't do that for a living. I think we had 12 or 13 people. Put in 6 forms for tee boxes. Cut trees for alt pin on hole 13. Also, did some serious cleraning on holes 3, 13, and 14.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I got to play Thomas on my way back from Colorado in September.

Really loved the signs. With tee pads, this course is going to be one of the top in the state for sure.

I like how you decided to keep the original holes. Finally got to play the new holes 13 & 14. 13 was a fun mid shot requiring some accuracy. 14 was crazy. I like tunnel shots, but this was a little overkill. The landing zone is about 250' to a 10 foot circle. If you aren't there, there is no shot at 3. Since it's so unlikely to get to this point, the hole just gets hacked and it's up to a little bit of luck to decide whether it's a 4 or a 5. And both shots are RHBH.

Only played it once though. Not my favorite hole, but love the course as a whole. For a course with no water and very little OB, it's intensely challenging.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Schoen-hopper wrote:The landing zone is about 250' to a 10 foot circle. If you aren't there, there is no shot at 3. Since it's so unlikely to get to this point, the hole just gets hacked and it's up to a little bit of luck to decide whether it's a 4 or a 5.
A lot of the dead wood has been removed on 14 so saving 4's after a bad throw isn't as hard. Its a lot better. In fact there has been a lot of work on the course since September and it is better as a whole. We still have a ton of work to do.
Schoen-hopper wrote:And both shots are RHBH.
The alt pin is on the right side of the opening across from the current pin (LHBH).
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Cool! Hoping to ditch work and make it up there this Saturday.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

I like all the holes out there. 14 is a cool hole. so what if the hole is tougher than norm and can be a posible 3 or 5 depending on your luck. thats what make that hole cool. hit your line and get a reward or miss your line and get screwed. not all holes have to be able to get a "PAR 3" . i get tired of par three makes no sence at all. You dont go to a ball golf course and consider the course as par 54 just to make it easyer to keep score. So why should Disc golf be that way .. 14 is a true par four or 5 . keep it that way. Don't comform to the norm. .. love the course guys
Chain smoker
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

12 teepads are in the ground and with luck the other 6 will be in this week
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

That's great news! looking forward to playing it again.
Austin

Post by Austin »

All 18 tee pads are in the ground.

We are going to start doing weekly work days and try to get the project finished.

Here is a list of what I think needs finished.

-Final clearing of trees for alt pins.
-Alt pin sleaves put in the ground.
-Remove remaining dead pine trees.