Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Kansas Disc Sports Scholarship!

General Disc Golf Chatter
smitty

Kansas Disc Sports Scholarship!

Post by smitty »

The Kansas Disc Sport Scholarship Foundation was founded in 2004 for the purpose of helping a Kansas resident pay for the high cost of higher education. The main criteria used to judge an applicant is their disc play and involvement in their chosen disc sport; ultimate, disc golf, freestyle or guts...

The scholarship is valid for any in-state trade school, college or university. The money can be used for tuition, books or housing. A check for the amount of money awarded will be issued to the institution for the benefit of the recipient. Applications are due April 1st.

Each year, the foundation raises funds by hosting tournaments, having auctions of donated material and/or by accepting cash donations. Half of the funds generated each year are set aside in an interest bearing account. Although all of the interest is used each year for the scholarship, the principal remains behind to generate future interest. No gift of less than $100 will be awarded (unless the total amount available is less than $100).

The form can be found here. http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/kdga/inde ... cholarship

If you know of a senior who has anything to do with Disc sports, please pass on the word.
dragonessk

Re: Kansas Disc Sports Scholarship!

Post by dragonessk »

Does the applicant have to be a graduating high school senior? Can continuing education adults be considered as well?
smitty

Post by smitty »

dragonessk wrote:Does the applicant have to be a graduating high school senior? Can continuing education adults be considered as well?
That question would need to be asked of Bill. I will let him know, you are asking.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The scholarship is designed for high school seniors for their first year of post high school education. However, there is a clause that says if there are no applicants then other people in school will be considered for the award. So far, we have always had a high school senior apply. I have not heard of any yet this year. But don't forget, this scholarship is for frisbee play not just disc golf. Ultimate, and guts are also included. To date we have had both of these sports represented. The important thing is to get the word out to high school players you know to get involved in their local area to pad their resume for this award as participation in their local area is a judging area. I will get an application loaded to this site in the near future for those players already in school applying if there is no high school player. Watch this site after April 1st to see if we get any high school apps. The already in school apps won't be due until early summer.
discscout

Post by discscout »

I spoke out of turn in the previous post. While it was being considered to offer the scholarship to existing college students and returning military personel, the by-laws only state that seniors from high school can apply. There were a couple of reasons this was left out. It makes the 501C3 tax exempt application process easier and if there is no recipient, the money would go into the principle side of the ledger. 100% of any interest in a year is paid out. It is the boards desire to get the principle up to a level that the interest alone will fund one or more scholarships. We realize this will take time considering the rate we are going but the 501C3 tax status will help. I would expect that sometime in the future, existing college students might be eligible but not at this time. Sorry for misleading you.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The fundraising tourney at the Tick Ranch netted $712. The Wyco Tourney the same day raised $320 with a putting contest at lunch. The Kansas City club matched whatever was raised for the scholarship donation to reach the 320 mark. Thanks to all from both tournaments. One of the most important aspects is getting the word out to seniors about applying. If you know of one coming up in the near future, badger them to apply. It is good for any instate college or trade school. Then write them a letter of recommendation as their disc experience is the most important criteria.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The 2012 Disc Sport Scholarship is again up for grabs. It is you the players that need to help identify a deserving young individual and then encourage them to apply. If it takes them an hour to do the paperwork, where else can someone earn over $800 an hour for their work. Granted, they may not win the scholarship but they definitly won't if they don't apply. This years amount is $823. Remember this is good for disc golfers, ultimate players, any disc sport. Do your part and help get the word out. The only restrictin at this time is they must be a graduate of a Kansas high school and be attending a school in Kansas.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Every year, the toughest job of the KDSSF (Kansas Disc Sport Scholarship Foundation) is finding individuals to give money to for college or trade school. If you know of a graduating high school senior that is involved in a disc sport, encourage them to apply. The amount collected for the 2013 scholarship is $656.23. To receive this award on emust be a Kansas resident, plan on attending a Kansas college or trade school and be involved in a disc sport; any disc sport. The board has awarded scholarships to disc golfers, ultimate players and guts players. But there is one thing for sure, if they don't know to apply they won't get anything. Encourage those young disc players to fill out the paper work. Applications can be found on the home page of the KDGA web site. And by the way, the fund raising disc golf tournament for 2013 is being held at the Tick Ranch near Rose Hill on March 23rd.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The Tick Ranch will once again be the site of the fund raiser for 2014 for The Kansas Disc Sport Scholarship Foundation. This years date is Saturday, March 22nd. Hopefully we have better weather than last year. Only a few hearty souls came and braved the elements. Applications for 2014 are due April 1st. If you download an Application from this website, you might have to change the date at the top to 2014. Students already in school can apply this year; just ignore the high school part concerning grades but do write a letter explaining your need and most importantly your commitment to your chosen disc sport. Unfortunately; the amount to be given away this year is only $412.77. But that is still better than nothing. I may be away from a computer for a couple of weeks, but I will eventually answer posts. All money raised this year will help fund the 2015 scholarship.
discscout

Post by discscout »

It has just come to my attention that applications can not be downloaded from this website. The problem will be fixed; I just don't know when or how soon. I do apologize for this. Since applications are normally due April 1st; we have changed that date to April 15th. In order to get an application sent to you should you need one; text me @316-650-9759 or email me @ bill.paulson@usd267.com. Either way, send me your email so I can send one through an attachment.
pironix

Post by pironix »

Form is fixed and available for download on the KDGA website. You can find the form here - http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/kdga_incl ... hipApp.doc
discscout

Post by discscout »

The form hasn't been changed for 2015 yet so download and change the date by hand at the top. Forms are still due on April 1st. No Foolin'. If anyone knows a deserving high school senior, tell them to submit a form. The amount for this year is $424.20. Help get the word out.
spence1529

Post by spence1529 »

I love playin disc golf and ultimate but never had any oppurtunities to actually play competitively. I plan on playing one or both in college. Would I still have a chance to get this scholarship?