Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Flint Hills Bag Tag League -

Manhattan area news and info
PETRIE

Flint Hills Bag Tag League -

Post by PETRIE »

THE PURPOSE
In conjunction with the Flint Hills Points League, the purpose of the Flint Hills Bag Tags League is to add another layer of fun disc golf competition in the Flint Hills (KS) region.

THE BASICS
ENTER the Flint Hills Bag Tag League, by buying an official bag tag.
WIN one or both of the leagues by, (1) scoring more League Night Points than all of the other Points League players, (2) possessing the #1 Flint Hills Bag Tag after the FINAL League Night round.

HOW TO GET A BAG TAG
1. Send a personal message to the League Administrator (me), through this site.
2. Come to League Night sometime and buy one there.
3. Just hit me up on a course if you happen to see me. I'll be sure to always have some on me.
COST IS ONLY $2 FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON (not per night)!

LEAGUE NIGHT FORMAT DETAILS
All Bag Tags present are up for grabs! Bring your "A Game" or you'll probably leave with a down graded Bag Tag number! (ouch)
- Flint Hills Bag Tag League Nights will take place at the Warner Park Disc Golf course on Tuesday nights.
- Start time will be at 5:45pm until we start to run low on daylight in the fall. League Nights will probably be changed to bi-weekly League Sundays through the winter months. Go to http://www.discgolfscene.com to see the schedule.
- League Nights will consist of one SINGLES round of disc golf. Playing a round of 18 holes will be the goal whenever possible. If weather or daylight hours become an issue, the number of holes to be played that day will be decided upon by the League Administrator.
- At the beginning of the round, all bag tags will be given to the League Administrator.
- Each player must keep their score (their total number of strokes), then report their final score at the end of the round.
- If a League Night round results in any ties, the participants who tied shall break the tie in a one throw sudden death "closes to the pin" (CTP). The CTP will be specified by the League Administrator.
- After all scores have been reported and all ties have been settled, the Bag Tags will be redistributed THAT NIGHT to the players in the order of their scores. (Winner of the night gets the lowest bag tag and so on down the scoring list (duh)).

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS FORMAT DETAILS
On each League Night, League Points will be awarded to crown a League Champion at the end of the Bag Tag season.
- Each Bag Tag League player that participates in the official Tuesday League night will receive one (1) Championship Point for themselves and one (1) Championship Point for every player they outscore that night. In other words if eight (8) players participate that night, the winner earns eight (8) Championship Points, the second best player of the night earns seven (7) Championship Points, and so on down to the last place player of the night earning one (1) Championship Point.
- Bonus Points: Any player who scores an ACE will receive 5 Championship Points that night!
- THE POINTS CHAMPION WILL BE AWARDED A TROPHY AT THE END OF THE SEASON... (I will post a picture as soon as I get the trophy completed).

CASUAL ROUND FORMAT DETAILS
In addition to Bag Tag League Night, any player with a Bag Tag may Challenge any other player with a Bag Tag to a round of disc golf.
- Challenges must be done in a courteous and good sportsmanlike manner. Please report challenges that were not conducted in this manner.
- The challenge round must be played within 2 weeks (14 days) of the receipt of the challenge. The players must agree to a fair and reasonable date, time, and course to play the challenge round.
- If the players cannot agree to a reasonable date, time, and course for the challenge within the 2 week (14 day) time frame, please send a message with the facts to the League Administrator.
- If a reasonable challenge cannot be established with the 2 week time frame, the League Administrator may (a) VOID the Challenge, or (b) REQUIRE the Bag Tags be exchanged (even though no round was played). Please try to avoid this situation.
- The Bag Tags must be exchanged immediately following the challenge rounds.

GROUP Casual round challenges are also acceptable, and encouraged. These are when multiple players each put their Bag Tags at stake during a group round.

REMATCHES, UNEXPECTED CHANGE OF BAG TAGS, etc.
- Players who have just won a Bag Tag Challenge can, but are not required to refuse a Rematch with the losing player(s) for up to one (1) week.
- Simply attending the Tuesday Bag Tag League Night is not considered a Rematch. Therefore at League Night all Bag Tags are up for grabs, even if you've recently played someone in a Challenge round.
- If the possession of a specifically numbered Bag Tag unexpectedly changes before a scheduled Challenge can be played, the challenger has the right to cancel the Challenge. For example; If you’re scheduled to compete for Bag Tag #3 but the player loses Bag Tag #3 (before you can play him/her), you don’t have to honor the Challenge.
- If you suspect players are cheating to protect their Bag Tag, please report them to the League Administrator.

When in doubt about how to resolve an issue, please send a message to the League Administrator.

I hope you enjoy this league and make some new friends along the way.

Sincerely,
Rick

(p.s. Do you have a friend that likes to play DG, but isn't sure about joining this league? NO PROBLEM. Just bring them along and have them play without a Bag Tag. Before long they may want to join in the fun).

Not sure about competing for a Bag Tag? This video might get you fired up enough to come check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5drksfYew

Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

rlangton

Re: Flint Hills Bag Tag League -

Post by rlangton »

Turning in all bag tags before league and handing them all back out again afterwords could create an administrative nightmare. It also means players have a much lower chance of having a higher or lower bag tag than their skill level, which I think reduces some of the fun of using bag tags (it's not just about how well you play but who you're matched up with).

I guess if you have a small league and everybody is competitive I could see this being fun. If your league is handicapped (is it?) then that makes everyone competitive so it solves 1 problem (but makes the other problem - administrative - worse).

Just my thoughts on the idea.. have you heard of bag tags being used this way elsewhere?
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Yo Langton, How's T-Town? Wish you were here to duke it out in this new league. We already have two leagues in town with nearly the same format (random doubles at Fairmont on Mondays & Riverpond on Wednesdays). So it seemed as though we needed a different format at one of these courses in order to make it interesting.

I think you're misunderstanding some of the league details. Sorry if I didn't make everything clear in the rules.
Last edited by PETRIE on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

ANYWAY,

I hired an up and coming game show host to handle all the administrative issues on league nights. So it will be okay.

Seriously though;

The rules say "... the Bag Tags will be redistributed THAT NIGHT to the players in the order of their scores" so players will not win bag tags that are higher than their skill level. (it is not a doubles league so from a scoring stand point you're not "matched up" with anyone).

I have no plans of handicapping this league. Since there is no money to be lost or gained each night, you're just trying to improve your bag tag status plus earn points for the Points Championship trophy.

also

Regarding bag tags being gathered up prior to the round, we have not done that yet because our groups have been pretty small so far. However if the number of participants become a large number, collecting the tags prior to the round then tallying the scores with the white board scoring board I've been using will make the post round process go very smoothly.
Last edited by PETRIE on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

Yes sorry I misunderstood a bit.
I see you're basically using the bag tags to form rankings and crown a champion at the end of the year. For this type of competition you really wouldn't want a handicap.
Looks like it will be a lot of fun, good luck!
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

HERE IS THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE LEAGUE

T U E S D A Y - N I G H T - P O I N T S - L E A G U E
POSITION - - - PLAYER NAME - - - (POINTS)
1st - - - - - - - Ryan Stapp - - - - - (12)
2nd - - - - - - - Rick Petrie - - - - - (10)
3rd - - - - - - - Mark Kewley - - - - -(7)
4th - - - - - - - To Jo - - - - - - - - - (6)
5th - - - - - - - Aaron Warnke - - - -(4)
5th - - - - - - - Matt Hart - - - - - - -(4)
7th - - - - - - - John Heele - - - - - -(2)

BAG - - TAG - - STATUS
TAG #- - - PLAYER NAME
- #1 - - - - To Jo
- #2 - - - - Rick Petrie
- #3 - - - - Aaron Warnke
- #4 - - - - Ryan Stapp
- #5 - - - - Mark Kewley
- #6 - - - - John Heele
- #7 - - - - Matt Hart

It's not too late for you to jump in! Just bring $2 for the bag tag and you are set for the season. It is that simple.

See you next Tuesday.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

League Status Update

BAG TAGS
Tag - - Player
#1 - - - John Heele
#2 - - - Toe Joe
#3 - - - Aaron Warnke
#4 - - - Kevin Clouse
#5 - - - Mark Kewley
#6 - - - C Moe
#7 - - - Matt Hart
#8 - - - Grant Dalbey
#9 - - - Rick Petrie
#10 - - Robbie Lynn
#11 - - Ryan Stapp

POINTS RACE
Place - -Player - - - - - Points
1st - - - Rick Petrie - - - - 21*
1st - - - Mark Kewley - - - 21*
3rd - - - Ryan Stapp - - - - 20
4th - - - Toe Joe - - - - - - 17
5th - - - John Heele - - - - 16
6th - - - Kevin Clouse - - - 5
7th - - - Aaron Warnke - - 4*
7th - - - Matt Hart - - - - - 4*
9th - - - Grant Dalbey - - - 3*
9th - - - C Moe - - - - - - - 3*
11th - - Robbie Lynn - - - - 1

* = TIED

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Another fun league night was enjoyed by everyone this evening. We gained one more league member tonight. Thus far I only know him as Birdman Bill. WELCOME, Birdman Bill!

Also, one of our local hero disc golf playing soldiers, Brian, came out and played with the league guys tonight. It was good to see Brian again!

Brian, thanks for finding time to play tonight, and of course thanks for all you do for us!

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I thought I should post an update about our little league we've got going.

Regarding our WINTER SCHEDULE (after daylight savings time changes), we will play on the 1st & 3rd Sunday of each month @2:30 until spring evening daylight comes back around. There may be people who chose to play every Sunday at 2:30 for Bag Tags, but only the 1st & 3rd Sundays will earn you League Points.

THE CURRENT POINTS LEADER BOARD (Nov. 6)
Position.....Points........Player
...01........34........Ryan Stapp
...02........31........Mark Kewley
...03........30........John Heele
...04........27........Rick Petrie
...05........18........Grant Dalbey
...06........17........Toe Joe
...07........10........Kevin Clouse
...08........8........Robbie Lynn
...09........6........Birdman Bill
...10........4........Aaron Warnke
...10........4........Matt Hart
...10........4........Kevin Clark
...13........3........C Moe
(League Points can only be earned at the scheduled once a week league event).

THE CURRENT BAG TAG LEADER BOARD (Nov. 6)
Tag........Player
#01........Kevin Clark
#02........Toe Joe
#03........Aaron Warnke
#04........Ryan Stapp
#05........Birdman Bill
#06........C Moe
#07........Matt Hart
#08........Kevin Clouse
#09........Grant Dalbey
#10........John Heele
#11........Mark Kewley
#12........Robbie Lynn
#13........Rick Petrie
(In addition to League Night, bag tags can be played for on any day of the week between any players in causal rounds)

For more detailed information about the schedule, points, etc. go to http://www.discgolfscene.com
Don't get me wrong, the KDGA site is nice, but the Disc Golf Scene makes posting & updating all our information very easy.

kewley

Post by kewley »

ok, see you tomorrow at 2:30.
kewley

Post by kewley »

We have shifted to 1:30 from 2:30 on the 1st & 3rd Sundays this winter.

If you are in the Manhattan area get involved: http://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/Fl ... eague_2010
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Mark, Thanks for posting that time change reminder. I forgot to post that info on this KDGA board.

BELOW ARE THE RESULTS FROM TODAY'S 1:30pm LEAGUE EVENT
(Sunday, December 19)

The league currently has 20 active members, 8 of which attended today.

- - - LEAGUE POINTS INFORMATION - - -
Place----Score------Player------------League Points
1st-------58------Kevin Clark----------------8
2nd------60------Mark Kewley---------------7
3rd------63 ------Kevin Zane-----------------6
4th------66 ------Rick Petrie -----------------5
5th------67 ------Taki Kawakami------------4
6th------74 ------Daisuke Takahashi--------3
7th------81------Maki Kawakami------------2
8th------84 ------Keiko Takahashi -----------1

- - - BAG TAG INFORMATION - - -
Player----------------Old Tag--------New Tag
Kevin ClarK-------------1--------------1
Mark Kewley------------3--------------3
Kevin Zane-------------20------------13
Rick Petrie-------------13------------14
Taki Kawakami--------14------------16
Daisuke Takahashi----16------------18
Maki Kawakami--------18------------19
Keiko Takahashi-------19------------20

League Members not in attendance, but sorely missed, were as follows:
Tag #2 - Toe Joe
Tag #4 - Aaron Warnke
Tag #5 - Birdman Bill
Tag #6 - C Moe
Tag #7 - Matt Hart
Tag #8 - Kevin Clouse
Tag #9 - Grant Dalbey
Tag #10 - John Heele
Tag #11 - Ryan Stapp (deployed)
Tag #12 - Robbie Lynn
Tag #15 - Dean ...
Tag #17 - Odin Olson

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Do you have spring fever? Are you itchin' to go throw some plastic?

If so I have some good news for you!

We are still playing this league at Warner Park through the winter. We are playing on the first and third Sunday's of each month.

So that means we will be playing up there TOMORROW, March 6th @ 1:30pm.

BPLaughlin

Post by BPLaughlin »

Rick, now that daylight savings has happened will there be any league play during the week?
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Mr. Laughlin,
Glad to hear that you're back! At least it sounds like you're back.

Anyhow, yes we're just about to switch the bag tag league back to week nights. It would be nice if we could switch over right now, but under the current daylight conditions we could not complete a typical league round.

Our league members have discussed this up coming change and are planning on Wednesday nights, 5:30 pm tee time. I suspect we'll make the change starting in April.

Thus "Warner Wednesdays" are right around the corner!