Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

DD & ACDGC Present the Wichita Round-Up

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
smitty

DD & ACDGC Present the Wichita Round-Up

Post by smitty »

Online Registration

Current Player List

I say will fill this sucker up! Spread the word!!
Swede

Re: DD & ACDGC Present the Wichita Round-Up

Post by Swede »

Ouch. $70 if I want to come play a one day?
Throw Millennium.
Boebo

Post by Boebo »

This tournament has went up $5 per year for the last 5 years in the pro division, back in 08 you got a discount if you were a PDGA member. :|
Last edited by Boebo on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"YOU CAN'T SELL SHORT
YOU CAN'T TEACH TALL
& YOU CAN'T BUY COOL"
Boebo

Post by Boebo »

Swede wrote:Ouch. $70 if I want to come play a one day?
Don't forget the $5 ace fund also, being everything is in the short placement.
"YOU CAN'T SELL SHORT
YOU CAN'T TEACH TALL
& YOU CAN'T BUY COOL"
smitty

Post by smitty »

I agree if you aren't a pdga member it is pretty steep.

The biggest question is PDGA sanctioning worth it... Does it add to the event or drive people away?
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Have always liked this event, and I put in for leave for it. Now I'm considering cancelling things due to the sticker shock. For the Doo-Dah, I can understand these entry fees, but c'mon.
mehunt

Post by mehunt »

I did notice there is no longer an extra fee for online payment. Good move - we need to encourage early sign-ups!
PerpetualNewbie

Post by PerpetualNewbie »

mehunt wrote:I did notice there is no longer an extra fee for online payment. Good move - we need to encourage early sign-ups!
This is possibly my "fault"... as someone who runs an e-commerce site I've notified several TDs for tournaments I've played in which were doing on-line registration that it is against the Paypal Terms of Service to charge extra to cover their Paypal fees, specifically section 4.6 which states:

"4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

Several of the tournament registration pages explicitly stated that they were charging an extra ~$2.50 "to cover Paypal fees"... if they were to get reported for this, Paypal could and probably would cancel their Paypal accounts, freeze any current funds and possibly do chargebacks for all fees collected.

My advice was to simply build the cost of these fees into the registration pricing and not explicitly spell out the "extra" fees, that way Paypal would have no evidence and no way to "come after" their accounts, which is what I do. As a result, you may see the registration costs go up a bit but the "online registration fee" apparently being dropped. Ideally this would be a zero-sum transaction, so instead of "$45+2.50 fee" we simply see a registration cost of "$47.50", but odd numbers like that can be less convenient to work with when dealing with cash and people are psychologically prone to favoring whole numbers that end in "0" or "5" with numbers like "$40" or "$45" being more appealing than "$42.50".

I'm not certain the above are reasons for the changes you're seeing (higher pricing, no online/extra fees listed) but it is a possibility. I personally don't mind, as it reduces the risk of the TD's possibly getting screwed by Paypal (who are notorious for that kind of thing) while still allowing them to cover their actual costs. Also, for tournaments where the payout is based on the amount or percent of registration $$$, any "extra" from the rounding ($45 instead of $42.50) will hopefully show up as a bit extra in the payout cash/merch as well.
smitty

Post by smitty »

This will be the first of the last chance qualifiers.

I will be at Herman on Tuesday for league...unless something comes up. If you want to pay me personally that is an option.

Anyone want to get down on some golf action on Friday?

Smitty
teebirdputter

Post by teebirdputter »

I'd be up for playin singles or dubs
smitty

Post by smitty »

I plan on parking by the "club house" Friday and running for the Round-up. I will be at work until about 3:15. If someone wants to take names and money before then that would be cool. Last night we started at 5:00 and didn't have much time to spare. I am going to say the last group needs to going out by 5:00.

Round-up doubles.

2 divisions. Pro (Cash) and Am (Plastic)

Format: BYOP Best shot doubles on the RED course.
Cost: $20/team
Time 4:00 (or earlier if someone can be there) - Last group must start at 5:00.

Payout will be done in the park after the last group turns in their card.

Hope to see some frolfers at the course on Friday.

Smitty
BMFNT

Post by BMFNT »

teebirdputter wrote:I'd be up for playin singles or dubs
Tito, Jason and I will be out there around 4:30. I will need a partner....lets do this nate!!
BT - ACDGC Communications Director