Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Annual ACDGC Ice Bowl

What's happenin' in Wichita
jlsherwood

Annual ACDGC Ice Bowl

Post by jlsherwood »

Schoen-hopper

Re: Annual ACDGC Ice Bowl

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Ice Bowl is 2 weeks away and it's time to start a list for baskets and chili! I'll post something to our facebook page also. Please post here or there if you can bring anything.

Also still looking for sponsorship. We have sponsorship forms that I can email to you. And I can email you the flyer as well. Let's get these posted at the courses if they are not already.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Oh yeah, we are also looking for raffle item donations and CTP prizes. Anything anyone would like to contribute would be greatly appreciated!!
discscout

Post by discscout »

basket, chili and fritos
BMFNT

Post by BMFNT »

The Wichita Indoor Putting League will be donating 2 putters for the longest putt. 1 for the ams and 1 for the pros. (basket to be determined the day of the tourney)

Be sure to attend putting league every Thursday!
BT - ACDGC Communications Director
ChainedEvil

Post by ChainedEvil »

Just curious if there is a player's pack for ams??
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Everyone gets a mini disc and 2 mulligans included. Freddy's meal voucher if we can get them again this year.
Geo95

Post by Geo95 »

I hope theirs more people in Juniors than last year and hopefully a little better prize like a disc we get to choose. :D
Air Capital Lover!
mwilson

Post by mwilson »

yes ill be getting freddy cards again for every one
Sappy7

Post by Sappy7 »

Is there a pre registration for this event? Or can anyone just show up, sign in, pay the fee and play?
BMFNT

Post by BMFNT »

You can just show up and play!! Hope to see you there!!
BT - ACDGC Communications Director
Sappy7

Post by Sappy7 »

Awesome!! Thanks!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Ice Bowl Course

I went to Oaklawn to pick up the building keys and look the course over. Not too much trimming needed, not too much picking up, and the thorns didn't grow in too thick this year. But there is some really tall grass in places. I plan on going out there after work this Friday. Around 3pm until dark. Can anyone come? If we don't get all the work done, I'll make note of what still needs done and people can come finish it Saturday. I am working Saturday and need the rest of the day for final preparations. Here's what you can bring: Work gloves, loppers and / or pruners, a pole saw or such that we can cut with or knock out dead branches with overhead. I think we could put a chainsaw to use if we are smart about it. Most important thing though, is something we can knock high grass down with. Anyone have some type of thrasher we can swing? Need some ideas here; some time is needed working on this part.

I think this is the 7th year at Oaklawn. Some may be wishing for a different course design. The course isn't the best, but it sure is nice to have a heated building to use with a kitchen. Main idea of the course was to get it in the woods and out of the "howling wind", as Bill would say. I've looked at something roughly backwards and it's no good. The best alternative would be to eliminate one or both loops through the woods. Probably keep holes 2-10 and use the open parkland for the rest of the holes. The trees are sparse, but big enough to provide decent obstacles. We used this area the first couple years before deciding we wanted a shorter, more wooded course. The longer, more open course wouldn't be too bad on a warm day such that we might expect this Sunday. But with school and working overtime, my chance to work on this has slipped by. Whomever takes over as TD next year will have some time to think on it. Feel free to provide any helpful info. This year, I think we're best to stick with a version of the existing course. Here are some notes on what work is needed on what holes. Please join me at 3pm Friday if you can. But you can go out there and work on any of this any time between now and Sunday; that's why I'm posting it.

Hole 1: Same. Some minor thorn trimming and brush removal around the green.
Hole 2: Same. Clear a path to the tee box.
Hole 3: Longer. The sand area has seemed to grow a lot larger, and now the tee area is in a sand pit. I like level footing, so I think we might try something crazy and make this a 2 shot hole, with the tee much longer and left. Some tall grass in front of the tee could be knocked down or shortened. Some trimming and brush removal closer to the green.
Hole 4: Same, maybe slightly shorter to get the tee out of the sand. Really tall grass on the mound we place the basket. This will have to get knocked down, or else we'll have to use the old pin placement to the left.
Hole 5: Same. We'll bend that tree over that is blocking the hyzer lane and top it again.
Hole 6: Same. Tall grass will add some challenge, but it is a short hole. Could at least thrash or trample a walking lane to the basket.
Hole 7: Same. I'll trim the one specific limb I want taken out near the tee.
Hole 8: Same. There is some needed trimming to the sides and some limbs down that need dragged off.
Hole 9: Same. Not much work needed.
Hole 10: Same. Thorns and stuff that's low to the ground near the green needs removed and drug far enough away.
Hole 11: A little longer. Need to clear the scrubby grass away on the tee. Basket will be slightly longer to make getting a 3 a significant challenge. I want their to be 2 routes, but it will probably depend on the wind direction which one is favored.
Hole 12: Shorter RHBH Hyzer. Last tree in the middle was removed. I'm thinking to make this shorter with a RHBH hyzer angle. Don't hyzer into the trees early.
Hole 13: Same. The gap seems to be getting smaller. Need to trim as good as we can. And knock the grass down in the first part of the fairway before the gap. There are some nasty thorns hidden near the tee area that need removed. Maybe we can make the tee wide for anyone big enough to take the hyzer route.
Hole 14: Change needed. There is a big tree down blocking the route to the traditional pin location. We have a few options. Play it as it is. I don't think many would enjoy getting tangled up in the tree, though anyone can pull out the special 'dangerous lie' rule and play it behind far enough to have a safe throwing motion. Or someone could go crazy on the tree with a chainsaw and drag it off. It could be done. Or we modify the hole and play it shorter with a different tee and pin. Would be almost a 300' RHBH hyzer. We'd need to clear some tall grass over by the proposed tee area. I will flag everything Friday.
Hole 15: Same. Seems pretty grown in, with the left route even more impossible. I think we should do some trimming of small trees and limbs on this hole.
Hole 16: Same. The grass by the pin is too high and really needs knocked down. Could trim any low limbs by the pin.
Hole 17: Shorter. The grass is very high on this hole. It looks kind of cool throwing over it, but you could lose a disc in there. I'm thinking to make the tee shorter- under 200'. That way it's only about 150' you have to clear and most all players should be able to do this. Ace run hole. Could still cut a path to the basket.
Hole 18: Similar. The trees were on the ground last year and now they are gone. I though about bending the tee around the corner to force an anny, but the footing is soft on that slope. Maybe chainsaw out a part of the tree near the tee to give some room for the tee down on flat ground. The pin will be even farther in the corner. Trimming near the pin will keep shots from being saved that go long.

Main thing is getting some of that grass knocked down in the important places. Send me a message or an email if you think you can make it out Friday. I'll post back what we get done Friday. Thanks!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Ice Bowl Sponsorship Update

*Buddy Kassner cannot attend, but is donating $200!
*Hiebert & Decker are in for $100 plus supplies!
*Duck's Golf Discs are in for $100 plus coupons for the player packs!
*Play It Again Sports has donated $100!
*Freddy's is donating meal vouchers for every player! Thank Mark Wilson.
*Fox & Hound has kicked in 4 $60 value party starter cards. Low score pro and am will earn one of these and we'll raffle the rest off.
*ACDGC pushes several hundred dollars towards the donation.
*Several players are donating items for the CTP or raffle.

It's going to be another great year! Thanks to everyone for sponsoring or volunteering help with the event!
rca300

Post by rca300 »

did you get the flags put up yet or does that still need done Saturday? what else is left to do?