Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

KDSSF Scholarship Tourney @ Tick Ranch

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
discscout

Re: KDSSF Scholarship Tourney @ Tick Ranch

Post by discscout »

The 2013 edition of KDSSF fund raising tourney is almost here; March 23rd. Depending on the weather, we could have multiple tees on more than just a couple of holes. There will be 22 holes again like last year. Entry fees will be the same also. And Shaun's Big Hot Meat will be there with chili, or so I heard. Bring your own food if you desire. Come to the Tick Ranch and support a good cause. More to come later.
discscout

Post by discscout »

I finally got with Jeff to hammer out the details. We currently have two tees on every hole. We plan to play the normal holes in the morning and short tees in the afternoon providing it is dry or more mulch is spread between now and then. Fees will be $40 for Open and Advanced. (All the entry fees include $5 for 5 mulligans, KDGA fee of $2, $1 ace fund, and $5 that goes to the Scholarship. You can opt out of the Mulligans and get a $5 refund.) All other pro divisions are $35. All Am divisions are $30 and Novice and Junior are $25. There are Trophies again this year. First tee at 10 am so come early to warm up and see the new holes. Hope to see you there. It really is a good cause.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The weather threatened but 13 players braved the cold and semi-miserable conditions. The hard part was getting a grip on the wet disc and moving in the extra clothing. The morning round saw sleet and ice pellets and snow. The afternoon round was mostly precipitation free. By the time it started raining/misting, the round was over. The chili at lunch and dogs that went with it really hit the spot. And having two courses to play, proved to be interesting with the morning round all long and the afternoon all short.
OPEN MEN- Curtis Broadfoot 116; Ben Wiggins 116; Adam Spexarth 120.
GRANDMASTER- Buddy Kassner 127;Bill Paulson 135, Randy Sullard 136, Terry Burley 137, Marcus Sumner 141.
AMII- Joe Belsan 130, Patrick Smith 140.
AM MASTER- Greg (Boebo) 134; Arty Hicks 142.
AM GRANDMASTER- Ted Smethers 139
NOVICE- Dave Newsom 145
Thanks to those players for their donation to the foundation and the extra money that they contributed as well as LeRoy for tending the fire and Jeff for letting us use the Tick Ranch.
discscout

Post by discscout »

It's that time again for the Tick Ranch to host the scholarship fund raising tourney. March 22nd, the Saturday before Monkey Island. There is a chance this will be the last year the Tick Ranch will host this event for various reasons. So play it while you can. The course set up will be dependent on the weather. Fees will be the same; $35 for open & adv.; $30 for other pro; $25 for all other am and $20 for novice and jr. The ranch is located 5 miles south of Kellogg and Andover Road, 4 miles east and 5/8 mile south on a gravel road. Shaun will have BBQ for lunch to be purchased but you may bring your own food as well. You won't have time to go somewhere as we are in the boonies. Hope to see you there.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Wow! there has been a change at the tick ranch. The front pond has been cleared and expanded. It could be a muddy mess if it's wet but the course is pretty much intact. The two holes after sleepy hollow are now mostly open except for an empty pond. The same course is still playable. We will have 6 holes with afternoon tee pads. Other things are in the works. Hope to see you all there.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Let me clarify a previous post. It says this could be the last year the fund raising tourney is at the Tick Ranch. There has been a discussion about hosting it at Colwich when it gets completed. There are also some changes to the current course at the Tick that very likely will take place in the next year or two in order to make it tougher. But that is a lot of work that needs done in order to do that so isn't going to happen overnight. The first hole that will change is 15 from a wide open to a through the woods. I was also told that the new pond that was dry is now holding water from yesterdays rain. So a course that had no water hazards now has two holes with a water feature. Hope to see you all next Saturday at the Tick.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Just so you are prepared; The entry fee includes a $2 KDGA fee, $3 ace fund and $5 for the scholarship fund. You may also purchase 5 mulligans for $5 that can be used anytime and anywhere. Lunch will be somewhere in the $5 to $6 range or you can bring your own. Very little time to travel as the closest fast food is about 10 miles. Walnut Valley rules will be in effect: Two throws off the first tee both rounds, land on top of the chain assembly counts, if you don't have to release the disc from your hand to put it in the basket anyone can pick it up and discs entering the basket through the face mask counts. There is no 2 meter rule.
mehunt

Post by mehunt »

Do we need to pre- register for this one? What time are we starting?
UnrulyGinger

Post by UnrulyGinger »

What's the address?
smitty

Post by smitty »

Hyzernaut ace fund is at 498.00 and is in transit. The ace must be hit in a first throw. No mulligan aces.
discscout

Post by discscout »

First off, let me say I am sorry I could not return an answer to the above posts; I left shortly after my last post and was no where near a computer. While I normally post the results the next day; there have been other issues keeping me from a computer until now. I would call the tournament a modest success. We raised over $500. That sounds like a lot but only half of that goes to next years scholarship. The other half is used to build a base for future interest accumulation. Here are the results:
Open men
Chris Smith 93
Ben Wiggins 94
Brad Roeder 102
Jeff Ring 112
Grandmaster
Buddy Kassner 97
Bill Paulson 101
Dave Richardson 105
Randy Sullard 109
Jack Robinson 110
Bart Patton 112
Terry Burley 113
Dave Clift 123
Advanced Am
Mike Unruh 105
Brian Thompson 108
Taylor Camp 114
Am II
Loyd Majors 96
Joe Belsan 108
Don Zimmerman 117
Am Grandmaster
Jeff Laha 108
Todd Palmer 110
Keith Palmer 113
Marty Hunt DNF
Each of these folks donated at least $10 to the scholarship fund. They should be commended for their generosity.
discscout

Post by discscout »

There has been a ton of work done at the Tick Ranch. Jeff is finally starting to get rid of the old stumps from the past fire; at least the ones in the fairways. A lot of the improvements are getting ready for some major changes coming next year which makes this year a good one to attend. There is one new hole and numerous changes to others; I would have to say that the clean up has made the course easier to play (less lost discs because you can see) even though some holes are longer and or tighter than the previous. Come support the scholarship foundation. Jeff lives at 15536 SW Tawakoni Rd in Butler County. Normal start times.
discscout

Post by discscout »

There has been a ton of work done at the Tick Ranch. Jeff is finally starting to get rid of the old stumps from the past fire; at least the ones in the fairways. A lot of the improvements are getting ready for some major changes coming next year which makes this year a good one to attend. There is one new hole and numerous changes to others; I would have to say that the clean up has made the course easier to play (less lost discs because you can see) even though some holes are longer and or tighter than the previous. Come support the scholarship foundation. Jeff lives at 15536 SW Tawakoni Rd in Butler County. Normal start times. And the top 40+ scores will score a cool trophy; definitely one of a kind.
jlsherwood

Post by jlsherwood »

jlsherwood

Post by jlsherwood »

10 Oz Tour Bonus points awarded to KDGA Members playing in Tick Ranch KDSSF Tournament
Pre-registration available online at: http://www.aircapitaldiscgolfclub.org or in person at Duck's Flying Discs, 813 W. 11th, Wichita, KS during regular business hours

Note: Novice and Jrs division entry fees reset to same as previous years, $20